Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jurassic Beaver

Yes, I said "Jurassic Beaver."

The joke potential is just too good to pass up.

I'm posting this because it gives me a legitimate excuse to say "Jurassic Beaver."

Also, interesting because it's proof of mammals and dinosaurs living side by side.

HEAR ME ROAR!
    sigpic
    Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

That's a great find!

I took a class in college on dinosaurs. They talked about mammals around the Jurrasic period...small burrowing mammals similar to small moles or rats.

That burrowing got them through whatever wiped out the dinosaurs.

Tough little buggars!
    sigpic
    Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton

Comment

Originally posted by BroncFanIN
      That's a great find!

I took a class in college on dinosaurs. They talked about mammals around the Jurrasic period...small burrowing mammals similar to small moles or rats.

That burrowing got them through whatever wiped out the dinosaurs.

Tough little buggars!
      It probably also got them away from whatever would have eaten them up like furry little pizza rolls.

Thinking about this more, though, don't you think that any animals that weren't reptilian or lower order would have been marsupials? They mention in this story that the beaver is a relative of the platypus, and I know that the platypus exhibits traits of both mammals and marsupials. Also, marsupials are the predecessors of mammals. I remember my geology teacher in college talking about Australian creatures as non-competitive when compared to mammals, and that opossums are the exception rather than the rule.

You know better than I do, though.
      HEAR ME ROAR!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals
        It probably also got them away from whatever would have eaten them up like furry little pizza rolls.

Thinking about this more, though, don't you think that any animals that weren't reptilian or lower order would have been marsupials? They mention in this story that the beaver is a relative of the platypus, and I know that the platypus exhibits traits of both mammals and marsupials. Also, marsupials are the predecessors of mammals. I remember my geology teacher in college talking about Australian creatures as non-competitive when compared to mammals, and that opossums are the exception rather than the rule.

You know better than I do, though.
        From what I remember from class, the mole type mammals gave birth to live young, and nutured them, which scientists say helped in keeping mammals going long after the dinosaurs went extinct. Dinosaurs had no such protective instincts of their young. The mammals around that time mostly stayed underground and likely came out at night, or during "safe" times.

It'd be interesting to see if they happen to find any "eggs" from this creature. Marsupials, as you said.

Of course, a while back, they found a fossilized heart of a dinosaur that appeared to have four chambers....which would indicate perhaps some dino's were warm blooded?
        sigpic

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
        -Sean Payton

Comment

Originally posted by BroncFanIN
          From what I remember from class, the mole type mammals gave birth to live young, and nutured them, which scientists say helped in keeping mammals going long after the dinosaurs went extinct. Dinosaurs had no such protective instincts of their young. The mammals around that time mostly stayed underground and likely came out at night, or during "safe" times.

It'd be interesting to see if they happen to find any "eggs" from this creature. Marsupials, as you said.

Of course, a while back, they found a fossilized heart of a dinosaur that appeared to have four chambers....which would indicate perhaps some dino's were warm blooded?
          Marsupials don't lay eggs. They give birth to these little slug things, and the slug things all have to crawl up the mom's belly to get into the pouch, where there's only one nipple (nipples again!) to feed from while they develop into adolescence. The rest of the little slug things die. I forget what they're called, but I remember learning about it. Ah, college...

The fossilized dino heart had 4 chambers? Interesting... that supports the theory that they were closer to birds than reptiles if that's the case.
          HEAR ME ROAR!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals
            Marsupials don't lay eggs. They give birth to these little slug things, and the slug things all have to crawl up the mom's belly to get into the pouch, where there's only one nipple (nipples again!) to feed from while they develop into adolescence. The rest of the little slug things die. I forget what they're called, but I remember learning about it. Ah, college...

The fossilized dino heart had 4 chambers? Interesting... that supports the theory that they were closer to birds than reptiles if that's the case.
            Fossilized slugs?
            The prevaling theory is that they are closer to birds than reptiles. Their bone structures are remarkably similar.

It's amazing to think these creatures roamed the earth.

What am I thinking of? What kind of animal is that...that looks like a mammal but lays eggs? Obviously thought it was marsupials....but those are like 'Roos. Though the marsupial thing would go along with the protective instincts shown by mammals to protect their young.

On field trips in Colorado, it was something to find fossils of sea creatures in the mountains.
            sigpic

-Sean Payton

Comment

Working...
            X