Computer Advice Required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Advice Required

I'm looking at buying myself a new laptop, since Sony want too much dosh to repair my existing one. Anyway, I've found a couple of machines in the sort of price range that I'm willing to spend, and the main difference between the two is one's a Pentium M (740) with 128Mb shared graphics Intel915GM, and the other's a Turion 64 ML-30 with 128Mb dedicated ATI Radeon X700 graphics.

Other than that, the two machines are virtually the same, and less than a quid apart in price.

So my question is, which chip is better, the Pentium M or the Turion, bearing in mind that I don't really do a massive amount of gaming, hell that's what the PS2's for

Thanks in advance
    The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
    BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
    You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

If you dont do much gaming and are not bothered to much about graphics. Then the first. if you ant better quality then the second. If you really dont care. The cheapest. A proper graphics card in a laptop is a msut for games. Shared or onboard chips are really not that good, and you can't upgrade them.
    "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
    Ayrton Senna..

Comment

Originally posted by Den21-Bal19
      I'm looking at buying myself a new laptop, since Sony want too much dosh to repair my existing one. Anyway, I've found a couple of machines in the sort of price range that I'm willing to spend, and the main difference between the two is one's a Pentium M (740) with 128Mb shared graphics Intel915GM, and the other's a Turion 64 ML-30 with 128Mb dedicated ATI Radeon X700 graphics.

Other than that, the two machines are virtually the same, and less than a quid apart in price.

So my question is, which chip is better, the Pentium M or the Turion, bearing in mind that I don't really do a massive amount of gaming, hell that's what the PS2's for

Thanks in advance

whats your budget? Personally, I've owned 5 laptops in my life and I have to say that out of all of them, Toshiba has been the best to me. So, how much are you willing to spend and what brands are the two lappys above?

Comment

Originally posted by AGENTORANGE 666
        whats your budget? Personally, I've owned 5 laptops in my life and I have to say that out of all of them, Toshiba has been the best to me. So, how much are you willing to spend and what brands are the two lappys above?
        I'm looking at spending around £600 ($1,050) give or take. Both systems I'm looking at are Acer's, and the price difference between the two is minimal. Other than the processor, the only difference is Hard Drive, the Intel unit being a 60 Gb, and the Turion being a 100Gb. Both are 15.4" and 1024Mb memory.

I did have a look at a Tosh A100, but for the same price it only has the Cel-M processor, and a 40Gb Hard drive, and the hard drive size was the start of my woes

You'll Never Walk Alone

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Comment

I'm looking at spending around £600 ($1,050) give or take. Both systems I'm looking at are Acer's, and the price difference between the two is minimal. Other than the processor, the only difference is Hard Drive, the Intel unit being a 60 Gb, and the Turion being a 100Gb. Both are 15.4" and 1024Mb memory.

I did have a look at a Tosh A100, but for the same price it only has the Cel-M processor, and a 40Gb Hard drive, and the hard drive size was the start of my woes

one way is to compare them through reviews. If you go to www.tigerdirect.com and look up both of those products (either by chip or whole computer) there should be some good reviews on there.
          Glen Haven Fire

Comment

hmm upon further looking, there is no reviews for either of them but i found this for you and I hope it helps somewhat:

1)http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2673
            thats the review for turion

2)http://www.notebookreview.com/price/...=opinionDetail
            some reviews for the pentium M

I dont know much about laptops so this is the best I could do
            Glen Haven Fire

Comment

I would go Turion all the way. The 64 bit allows for much superior performance. Add in the decent video card verses the shared video, and it would become a very easy choice if it were me. The only reason I would consider the Pentium is if battery life was by far the most important factor.

So if the price is about the same, your choice is the Pentium and a little extra battery life, or the Turion with a good bit of extra proformance.

Comment

Actually, you haven't given enough info to make a diagnostic.

Ok, so you're looking at a Pentium M vs. a Turion. What are the clock speeds of both (Mhz) . What are the FSB speeds? You can't just compare an M with a Turion without giving us more info than the chipset on the M. I'm going to assume, standard clock speeds, 1.73 ghz for the M and 1.6ghz for the Turion?

how much ram is in each system?

do you know how much is in each cache? Looking at the chipsets I'd say the turion has 1 mb of L1 cache. While the Pentium M has 2 megs of L2 cache, not sure how much L1.

HD's: are they ATA, SATA, RPM's on each

how many usb ports are in each system, do they support firewire?

If you're not using this sytem for gaming, what are you using it for?

But my preliminary answer b4 you give me more info is this:

The 64 bit Turion and the Pentium M both have "speedstepping" technology. This means it slows down the computer when you don't need it. Why run it at 1.65 ghz when you're only typing, or watching the latest Swedish Bikini team Video? When you need it tho, these CPU's will jack their speeds up to whatever you need.

Now, 64 bits is all well and good, but you might have some problems. There are applications out there that have incompatibility issues with 64 bit processors, and windows XP (even the 64 bit version) doesn't take full advantage of the 64 bit goodness. If you wait for Vista later tho, this will change.

The Pentium M, is actually short for Pentium 4 M, and is probably part of a Centrino system. Centrino system integrates a wireless adapter into the mobo and is pretty solid.

The graphics card on the Turion is pretty sweet though. Integrated graphics can only get you so far.

But that brings me to my final point, laptop usage. What are you going to use this baby for?

Average Joe: (Word Processing, web surfing, maybe listen to music)
                In this case, I'd spring for the Pentium M system. You don't want to deal with any incompatibilities that the 64 bit processor might pop up. You don't need the vid card, which would probably drain more power.

Road Warrior: (Long waits in airports, long car rides) You need max battery life, Pentium M edges out the Turion in this aspect I believe. Also the integrated Intel Wireless is usually money. which gives you more mobility

Power Usage: (You're hardcore, you multitask like none other, if you'd grow extra hands to handle more mice at the same time) The Turion 64 bit is supposed to be a wee bit more powerful than the M. We're not talking something that you'd notice as an Average Joe, but something you'd notice while running the Adobe Creative Suite, while surfing the net, while playing a video, while downloading that Swedish Bikini Team video.

Pirate: (You download, you download, the only time you're not downloading is when the Internet has completely borked itself) You're going to need HD space my friend. Go with the 100 gig bad boy, but even that might not be enough.

The basic premise is, you've gotta decide on what you're going to use the laptop for.

If you have any questions, I'll be back ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by j3phr3y
                  I would go Turion all the way. The 64 bit allows for much superior performance. Add in the decent video card verses the shared video, and it would become a very easy choice if it were me. The only reason I would consider the Pentium is if battery life was by far the most important factor.

So if the price is about the same, your choice is the Pentium and a little extra battery life, or the Turion with a good bit of extra proformance.

Actually 64 bits isn't really taken advantage of by windows, and applications have to be written specifically to take advantage of this feature, and those aren't exactly numerous. So honestly, 64 bits shouldn't be a factor in his decision.

Comment

Originally posted by dontfeedthenerd
                    Actually, you haven't given enough info to make a diagnostic.

If you have any questions, I'll be back ^_^
                    OK, System#1: 1.73Ghz Pentium-M, 533 Mhz FSB, 2Mb Cache, 60Gb ATA100 H/D (No RPM quoted), 1Gb DDR2, 128Mb Shared Intel Graphics 3x USB2, No Firewire, 1 PC card Slot, Dual Layer DVD. £599.99 - High Street Price

System #2: 1.6Ghz Turion ML-30, 1Mb Cache, upto 1600Mhz FSB(not sure about that ), 100Gb Parallel ATA, 1Gb DDR, 128Mb ATI Radeon X700 Graphics, 4xUSB2, Firewire, 1 PC Card Slot, 6 in 1 Card Reader, Dual Layer DVD. £599.95, plus shipping.

Both systems have identical 15.4", 1280x800 displays.

It's going to become my main use machine, so it will be doing a little bit of everything.........mostly surfing and Office apps, although some gaming, down loads, watching DVD........oh yes, and next season, some Bronco watching.

I've got to admit, at the moment, I'm leaning towards the Turion system, although the Pentium-m has the advantage of being available from a local store, in fact I'm going to have a look see at it this afternoon. Since both systems are ACERs, then I should at least be able to get a feel for the build quality of them.

Thanks for all the opinions

You'll Never Walk Alone

Comment

OK, System#1: 1.73Ghz Pentium-M, 533 Mhz FSB, 2Mb Cache, 60Gb ATA100 H/D (No RPM quoted), 1Gb DDR2, 128Mb Shared Intel Graphics 3x USB2, No Firewire, 1 PC card Slot, Dual Layer DVD. £599.99 - High Street Price

System #2: 1.6Ghz Turion ML-30, 1Mb Cache, upto 1600Mhz FSB(not sure about that ), 100Gb Parallel ATA, 1Gb DDR, 128Mb ATI Radeon X700 Graphics, 4xUSB2, Firewire, 1 PC Card Slot, 6 in 1 Card Reader, Dual Layer DVD. £599.95, plus shipping.

Both systems have identical 15.4", 1280x800 displays.

It's going to become my main use machine, so it will be doing a little bit of everything.........mostly surfing and Office apps, although some gaming, down loads, watching DVD........oh yes, and next season, some Bronco watching.

I've got to admit, at the moment, I'm leaning towards the Turion system, although the Pentium-m has the advantage of being available from a local store, in fact I'm going to have a look see at it this afternoon. Since both systems are ACERs, then I should at least be able to get a feel for the build quality of them.

Thanks for all the opinions

If you're going to be doing any serious gaming, like anything within the last 2-3 years, I'd say go with the Turion. Though I have to say, 1280 X 800 = widescreen. A lot of games don't like that -_-.

The DDR2 on the PM is the only thing I see that would really put it over the top, and even that by a very very small margin.

Make sure ACER gives you the 64 bit version of windows XP. I'd say the Turion = better deal for the cash.

If you want to watch Broncos games on the laptop, you're probably going to need to buy a USB tv adapter, unless you're getting the streams from the net.

Best of luck

Comment

Well thanks for the advice, guys.

I eventually decided to go for the Turion system, and so far so good

You'll Never Walk Alone

Comment

Working...
                        X