Kirby Puckett DIED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kirby Puckett DIED!

VERY SAD day in sports. I grew up in Minnesota idolizing Kirby and my heart just sank when I heard the news. Dead at the age of 44. I just don't know what more to say. I just want to start crying.

Originally posted by MNBroncosFan
    VERY SAD day in sports. I grew up in Minnesota idolizing Kirby and my heart just sank when I heard the news. Dead at the age of 44. I just don't know what more to say. I just want to start crying.

He died? Bummer!!!

Sorry, but I gotta move this into a more appropriate place.............

Comment

Originally posted by MNBroncosFan

that is very sad news, he was a good man on and off the field...he will be missed

Comment

Wow he died. I heard yesterday that he had a stroke and they were performing surgery but I never even thought he would die from it.
        Smith's First Catch
        "It was Sept. 17, 1995, and as the clock ticked down to 0:00 in the game against Washington at Mile High Stadium, Smith outleaped the great Darrell Green to catch the game-winning touchdown pass from Elway."

Comment

Kirby Puckett dies at 44

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Kirby Puckett died Monday, a day after the Hall of Fame outfielder had a stroke at his Arizona home, a hospital spokeswoman said. He was 44.

Wow, that is sad news.

Comment

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Kirby Puckett died Monday, a day after the Hall of Fame outfielder had a stroke at his Arizona home, a hospital spokeswoman said. He was 44.

Puckett, who led the Twins to two World Series titles before his career was cut short by glaucoma, was stricken Sunday morning.
            Even before Puckett's passing, his condition was weighing heavily on his former manager.

"Tough day," former Twins manager Tom Kelly said Monday at the team's training camp in Fort Myers, Fla.

The club was in Bradenton for an exhibition game against Pittsburgh, but manager Ron Gardenhire stayed behind with star center fielder Torii Hunter, who took himself out of the lineup before Sunday's game against Boston after hearing the news.

Kirby Puckett carried the Twins to World Series titles in 1987 and 1991. Glaucoma forced the Gold Glove center fielder and 10-time All-Star to retire in 1996 after 12 seasons with the Twins when he went blind in one eye. (John Dunn / Associated Press)

As players and coaches worked out in Fort Myers, the mood was somber.

"Our mind isn't on the ballfield. It's on Kirby," said former outfielder Tony Oliva, who like Kelly is a special instructor during spring training.

Puckett was once a guest coach, too, after he retired in 1996, but he hasn't worked for the team since 2002. He has kept a low profile since being cleared of assault charges in 2003, when he was accused of groping a woman at a suburban Twin Cities restaurant.

Puckett has remained close with several people in the Twins organization, and he was one of baseball's most popular players throughout his 12-year career.

"I don't know where I would have ended up if it weren't for Kirby Puckett," Kelly said. "He was not just a great ballplayer. He was a great friend. Everybody is taking it hard."

Oakland third base coach Ron Washington, a former teammate, spent Sunday at the hospital with Puckett, his fiancee, his agent and others. Washington said he saw Puckett, who has two children, go into the operating room. Puckett is engaged to be married this summer.

"I've known him since 1984. We talk every so often. We're close. He's a strong guy, a fighter and I want to think the best," Washington said. "We all know the bad part, but I don't believe in the bad."

After his career ended, Puckett put on a considerable amount of weight - which concerned those close to him.

"We would tell him. But he enjoyed life. He enjoyed the size he was. That's who he was," former Twins and current Cubs outfielder Jacque Jones said Sunday at the team's spring training site in Mesa, Ariz.

Puckett, who broke in with Minnesota in 1984, had a career average of .318 and carried the Twins to championships in 1987 and 1991. Glaucoma forced the six-time Gold Glove center fielder and 10-time All-Star to retire when he went blind in his right eye.

Perhaps the most popular athlete to ever play in Minnesota, Puckett was the talk of the town around the Twin Cities area.

"The whole thing has taken me by shock," said Joel Davis, the manager of a Twins memorabilia shop in Roseville.

Sue Chad, a customer at the store, said she and her husband named their dog Kirby.

"We saw him as someone the other players could get behind - just holding up the energy of the team," said Chad, who fondly recalled Puckett's 11th-inning homer to win Game 6 of the 1991 World Series against Atlanta in a frenzied Metrodome.

by SNK

by mrbrightside111

Comment

That's really sad, I was really hoping he'd pull through
              Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Kirby Puckett was not merely a HOF player, but a great person and role model. He will be greatly missed.........
                My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

I'll always cherish the time I met him several years ago. I had him sign a baseball card for me and I remember I was wearing a Sakic Avs jersey the first year after they won the Stanley Cup and he was joking with me saying "I Bet You Was No Avalanche Fan before they won the Stanley Cup". He then went on to say something about Patrick Roy. It was quit funny. I will always cherish that moment and will never forget it. I was glad I had the opportunity to meet him in person.

Comment

Originally posted by keithbishop
                    Kirby Puckett was not merely a HOF player, but a great person and role model. He will be greatly missed.........
                    I liked Puckett. He was a great baseball player. But lets be honest here, he wasn't a great person.

Comment

My heart goes out to his family and friends.
                      sigpic

Broncs All the Way Baby!

Comment

That's a real shame, he was a great baseball player and I'm sure he'll be missid.

RIP....

Comment

RIP Kirby Puckett...very sad...condolences to his friends and family...

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
                          2. Taxes
                          3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

RIP Kirby

He's just one of those ball players that I grew up watching, that helped me fall in love with the game...right up there with guys like Gwynn, Mattingly, Sandberg, and Ozzie.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

so sad cause he was so young....RIP.....

YES 44 is young...
                              Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Working...
                              X