--- Mars Images ---

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• --- Mars Images ---

--- Here are some of the first photos taken by the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment camera (HiRISE) on board the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter launched 12 August 2005 and recently entered Mar's orbit 10 March 2006 ---

--- HiRISE was developed at the University of Arizona, working with NASA ---

--- These test images were taken from an altitude of about 1500 miles ---

--- As the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter descends lower into a lower orbit this Fall, it will be sending images from an altitude of about about 175 miles !

--- These are the first images from the HiRISE Mars camera!

---

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
    The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
    http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
    My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

That is spectacular! Those images are so clear! That'd be a kick to analyse!
    sigpic
    Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton

Comment

Neat thanks, I think I see a road in one of them.

Comment

If you look very closely at that first picture you can just make out rc's house...

--Seriously though, those pics are cool, thanks for the link.

Comment

Nice pic AZ!!!

No growth issues there, yet.

I wonder how much for a 200 acre ranch. One with a crater wold be cool!

Comment

We got some high-res with MOC in 98, what else is the orbiter up to ?

Sidenote- Viking lander used 70 watts of power to operate, less than a lightbulb.

Comment

Do they have the NFL in Mars?

Maybe Tags could arrange to have all Raiders home games there next season
              [A HREF = 'http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/...williamsxt5.jpg'][/A]

Comment

Originally posted by atomicbloke
                Do they have the NFL in Mars?

Maybe Tags could arrange to have all Raiders home games there next season
                They'd probably find a way to lose, even playing in a vacuum.
                HEAR ME ROAR!
                sigpic
                Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

--- Here are some more images of the surface of Mars ---

--- These images taken by the HiRISE camera after the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter entered the orbit of Mars on 10 March 2006 --- from an altitude of about 1500 miles ---

--- Now the HiRISE camera will remain dormant, while the Orbiter manuevers to a lower orbit of about 175 miles above Mars ---

--- Sometime this fall, we will see the surface as never before, this amazing camera can focus on objects less than 3' long !!!

---

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan

--- These images taken by the HiRISE camera after the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter entered the orbit of Mars on 10 March 2006 --- from an altitude of about 1500 miles ---

--- Now the HiRISE camera will remain dormant, while the Orbiter manuevers to a lower orbit of about 175 miles above Mars ---

--- Sometime this fall, we will see the surface as never before, this amazing camera can focus on objects less than 3' long !!!

---

--- More Mars from NASA ---

---

Comment

--- More Mars from NASA ---

---

Thanks, AZ!

Used to want to be the first person to set foot on Mars... don't think it'll happen now... but the pictures are cool anyway!
                      Thanks, Reid!
                      sigpic
                      Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Ouch.

So is that what the surface of Earth would look like if we didn't have an atmosphere?

Comment

---

--- New images are coming in from the powerful HiRise camera developed at the U of Arizona, and are beginning to be released now that the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter has attained an orbit around Mars of less than a 200 mile altitude ---

--- http://hiroc.lpl.arizona.edu/ ---

---

Comment

The full color shot of Victoria Crater.....

...the one with the 'dunes' in the middle of it....

....those dunes actually look like a Fingerprint.....
                            "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                            tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                            men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X