Offensive things people ask you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offensive things people ask you

Ever have anyone ask you stuff you think is offensive?

For example, if your a woman and someone asks if your pregnant even though your not?

Or if your Asian and were born here and someone says "You speak English really well!"

How bout it?

Is this one of those offensive questions?

At my work, I have a big pic of Mike Shanhan and a ref I know taken from the paper and framed. I have a Bronco flag framed and hanging on the same wall. Most of my wardrobe is Bronco related.

You can see all this as you stand in front of the window at my desk. I'm wearing my bright orange shirt...a salesman walks in...

"Hi. I'm blah blah blah blah...."
    "Hi. what do you want?" (I'm not real nice to salesman. they come in unsolcited)
    "Just to drop this paperwork off...blah blah blah..."
    "Okay."
    Then...
    "Wow...whose the big Bronco Fan?"
    or
    "Are you a Bronco fan?"

Jeez, whatda think? I put this stuff up cause I think its CUTE?
    sigpic
    Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton

Comment

Things like:

"Your ugly" or,

"Your breath smells like ****!" and my favorite,

"I hope you die today!"

Yea, those are some pretty mean ones.....

Comment

I habent had anything like that happen to me, but I did it to a lady once.

I was selling furniture years ago, and this lady wanted me to drop the people I was with to sell here a small item. I think it was a magazine rack. Now I wasnt really paying as much attention as I should have been, and I didnt look at her before replying, "I'll be with you in a minute, SIR."

I gotta an earfull for that one.

But in my defense, after she stormed out, the couple I was with said she looked more like a man than a woman. And it was her voice I was responding to. She would have sounded like a man with helium in her, lol.

OK, I got something. Since my head is full of immigration stuff after reading so much about in the Cali. newspapers this last week.

Anytime someone asks me somethng in Spanish, like if I want fries with my order, (that's just an example people, not a stereotype), I get a bit offended that they slipped back to their "normal" language and forgot I might speack English.

The housekeeper in Santa Barbara. I was in the room when she came. She tried to ask me several things, such as if I wanted the room vacumed, and the sheets changed. She had to visually discribe things, like point to the vacume, to ask her questions.

Offended? Not really I guess. But I was kinda put off by that.

OOOO! One more!! They guy from somewhere in Europe somewhere, who also spoke no English at DIA, working for TSA of all people! He asked me for my ID as I went into secuirty, and he didnt even look at it to see if it was real or not. In fact, my daughter's wallet was stolen two days before we left, and all we had was her expired passport. Did he notice that? NOPE!

I was glad we passed, but offended they put us all thru that and he didnt even bother to perform his job in an even remotely satisfatory way.

Why ask me if you dont really care?

And YEAH! I DO want fries with that!

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
          I habent had anything like that happen to me, but I did it to a lady once.

I was selling furniture years ago, and this lady wanted me to drop the people I was with to sell here a small item. I think it was a magazine rack. Now I wasnt really paying as much attention as I should have been, and I didnt look at her before replying, "I'll be with you in a minute, SIR."

I gotta an earfull for that one.

But in my defense, after she stormed out, the couple I was with said she looked more like a man than a woman. And it was her voice I was responding to. She would have sounded like a man with helium in her, lol.

OK, I got something. Since my head is full of immigration stuff after reading so much about in the Cali. newspapers this last week.

Anytime someone asks me somethng in Spanish, like if I want fries with my order, (that's just an example people, not a stereotype), I get a bit offended that they slipped back to their "normal" language and forgot I might speack English.

The housekeeper in Santa Barbara. I was in the room when she came. She tried to ask me several things, such as if I wanted the room vacumed, and the sheets changed. She had to visually discribe things, like point to the vacume, to ask her questions.

Offended? Not really I guess. But I was kinda put off by that.

OOOO! One more!! They guy from somewhere in Europe somewhere, who also spoke no English at DIA, working for TSA of all people! He asked me for my ID as I went into secuirty, and he didnt even look at it to see if it was real or not. In fact, my daughter's wallet was stolen two days before we left, and all we had was her expired passport. Did he notice that? NOPE!

I was glad we passed, but offended they put us all thru that and he didnt even bother to perform his job in an even remotely satisfatory way.

Why ask me if you dont really care?

And YEAH! I DO want fries with that!
          I was surprised by this post from you JWinn. You know how hard it is for these people to learn another language. It's not like they are not trying. Have you ever tried to learn or speak another language fluently? Maybe you should try so you could understand.

I understand that they are in the US and that they have to learn, but some of them just can't or are too old to learn fast, but they are trying. I speak two languages, and I write papers in English better than some English speaking students. Still, that wasn't easy for me, it took time. And I'm young.

:salute:

Comment

J-Winn, I don't wanna throw you under the bus for being honest... But some of that stuff I can't get behind. Like being put off by the spanish speaking maid-- I'm sure we would all prefer encounters with someone who speaks the same language, I mean it's just easier that way... But I don't think less of someone because the speak another language, and I certainly don't think less of them for trying to earn a living...

I guess your post wouldn't be all that bad if it were posted in a "things that bug me" forum, but the fact that you're 'offended' or 'put-off' just reeks of elitism and a belief that certain people or classes are somehow better than the other.

Comment

Yes, Buff_bronc is right. I don't think you would say this in a bad way. I know you are a good person, after knowing you here for such a long time I wouldn't think you say it for bad reasons

We are all impatient, even I am. Sometimes I don't have the patience to listen to someone who doesn't speak the two languages I speak properly. But I would never get mad at them, because I understand where they are coming from. I just hope you consider this

:salute:

Comment

well, im mixed black and white, and when i was a kid people would ask me "What are you?"

Comment

I had a friend in high school who was really tall-just a little over 6 feet tall. People would ask her all the time "do you play basketball?"
                  Her response:

"No. Do you play miniture golf?"
                  sigpic
                  Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                  -Sean Payton

Comment

well people on here can be offensive with the things they ask.....

but oh well.....
                    Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Originally posted by alwilson91
                      deleted

Speaking of offensive.....
                      Last edited by Jared; 04-03-2006, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KCLadyFan
                        well people on here can be offensive with the things they ask.....

but oh well.....

Like me for example.

Comment

deleted

Just idiotic...

No comic value.
                          Last edited by Jared; 04-03-2006, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_f1
                            Yes, Buff_bronc is right. I don't think you would say this in a bad way. I know you are a good person, after knowing you here for such a long time I wouldn't think you say it for bad reasons

We are all impatient, even I am. Sometimes I don't have the patience to listen to someone who doesn't speak the two languages I speak properly. But I would never get mad at them, because I understand where they are coming from. I just hope you consider this

Hmmm......

You and Buff are right. Looking at it that way. I understand the housekeeper was working hard, and trying to make it here. I applaud her for that. I suppose she could be brand new to the USA.

But c'mon, I think she at least can learn a few words that are somewhat relevant to her job, like Vacume, and Change Sheets.

I wasn't asking that she be able to recite the Constitution, just be able to communicate in her job in the country she has chosen to work in. Maybe it's me, but that seems the least a person can do if they plan to work in a different country.

If I were to go to Germany, to work, or for any kind of extended stay other than military, and I'd probably do it even then, I would learn some basic German. Especially if I was going to have a job putting me in direct contact with Germans! I would not assume they can speak English.

(As if I am such an expert, lol)

I never meant to imply she was less a person than me. I am sorry if it came out that way.

Also, I think it's possible she might speak English anyway!

Let me try to tell a story, and make it short.

We had our landscaping done several years ago. We tried talking to the guys doing the labor. "Place this tree here, that bush there" kind of stuff. The only response we got was "No speak English", and shrugged shoulders. Yet when we approached the crew boss, and he turned to them, and spoke to them in English, right in front of us, they understood him perfectly! Maybe that sounds like an isolated incident, but it wasnt the only time I have felt that I was talking to someone who indeed understood me, yet refused to acknowledge that fact.

We were pretty nice to those guys, offered them cold pop and water, and snacks. My wife and I have both worked labor jobs. We may be rich, but we know what it's like to be treated second class, and we never treat people that way.

Actually, I get that frequently.

The last time was in the Grand Canyon this past Fall. We had made reservations at the fancy dancy hotel resteraunt where we stayed. MONTHS in advance! You have to do that according to the website for the El Tovar hotel.

So I we go down to get our table, and the old lady there takes our name, and says it will be just a moment. Right then this lady all dressed up for the oscars walks up, explains she has no reservations, but needs a table for four, (like me) as soon as possible.

The Old lady seated her immediatly!

We waited 30 minutes!

We werent dressed for the part, even though, well, I wont go into that. She gave that lady our table! When I asked her why the lady with no reservation got seated immediatly, and I had to wait with a six month reservation, she got angry, and walked away. She knew what she did was wrong, but she wouldnt even try to offer me an explanation. And to think I was ready to give her a 20 for a window table overlooking the canyon.

"Never judge a book by it's cover."

Good words to live by. Some of the richest people I know are people you would think dont have fifty bucks in the bank. Even though they have fifty million........

So Buff, I know exactly what you mean. I never meant to imply the houskeeper was any less a person than me. I just expect those people living here and dealing with the public to know the local language. At least enough to perform their job.

And I AM offended when they dont!

Comment

So I guess that makes you "Spookassion"!

J/K my friend!

OK, I retuned to this thread because of this actually, lol.

This got reported.

However, I also see the second line.

"J/K my friend!

I think AW was just trying to be funny. I didnt think it funny either, but I am hesitant to force my feelings on aw here.

Perhaps aw doesnt realize that "Spook" is considered VERY racist.

As I just got it explained to me below, and is said in the CoC, sometimes what we type comes off very differently to others than what we mean. I never got the impression AW was any more of a racist than me, so I will let this stay for the moment. I think he just made a mistake here.

AW? If you choose to delete that post, I will delete all the responses to it. I think this thread has been turned enough as it is. (Embarrased and out of emoticons)

Comment

Working...
                              X