• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medford Bronco
    replied
    Originally posted by Giveemlove
    Thank you.

Completely different diagnosis. Autism has been studied and most have proven that the intelligence of these individuals is off the charts. I have a friend who works with these children in England and the stories she tells me are amazing. Thank you for sharing your story!
    No problem sharing this with everyone. I just want to show people that there is no reason to be afraid of people with disabilies as they can be productive in life as well.

Leave a comment:

• Giveemlove
    replied
    Originally posted by Medford Bronco
    It must be a bit harder for them as Matthew is very high functioning. I wish her and her family all the best.

Matthew has made immense progress in the last year and we hope for better as time goes on.

Thank you.

Completely different diagnosis. Autism has been studied and most have proven that the intelligence of these individuals is off the charts. I have a friend who works with these children in England and the stories she tells me are amazing. Thank you for sharing your story!

Leave a comment:

• Medford Bronco
    replied
    She's almost 40 now...and grew up with parents that are very opposite of you and your wife. I can only commend you for what you do for him It will make all the difference in the world in his future.
    It must be a bit harder for them as Matthew is very high functioning. I wish her and her family all the best.

Matthew has made immense progress in the last year and we hope for better as time goes on.

Leave a comment:

• Giveemlove
    replied
    I wish your aunt well and hope that people can understand her perpective a bit better.

She's almost 40 now...and grew up with parents that are very opposite of you and your wife. I can only commend you for what you do for him It will make all the difference in the world in his future.

Leave a comment:

• Medford Bronco
    replied
    Originally posted by Emancipator
    Med,
    Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. It is good that we can share this with fellow members. It broadens are knowledge in the area. I wish young Matthew all the best. My prayers will be with you, your wife and daughter as you continue to experience all of the progress Matthew will make.
    thank you Eman as I appreciate all your support.

Leave a comment:

• Emancipator
    replied
    I just wanted to make a thread on autism and PDD which stands for pervasive developmental disorders.

The reason for the thread is that I have a 4 1/2 yr old son, (pictured in my sig) who has PDD. He was diagnosed in Sep of 2004 and when it first happened, my wife and I could not believe it and did not want to accept it.

Autism is a complex disorder and sometimes is it had to diagnose as my son is very bright and speaks well. However some of the early warning signs were that he did not always respond to his name when called and then he also seemed to perservate on something. Eg he would start to recite words from a commerical on tv out of the blue when not prompted or out of context. He somtimes starts saying words like "Geico well save you 5% on your auto insurance" for no reason whatsoever.

With any ASD (austism spectrum disorders) children like to be in a daily routine. Matthew likes things to be that same way each day and any "transition" throws him off. Each day he goes to an integrated school where they try to teach him the necessary skills to be able to lead a childhood like a "typical" child. Children with ASD get frustrated any usually when things do not go as planned they tend to hit, kick, bite, etc. We ask Matthew to "use his words' when he needs something and we will even give him the words to help him.

Also another neat thing used for children with ASD is a schedule. When Matthew gets up in the morning we have a morning schedule with pictures of a clock (getting up), medicine to take his medicine, the toilet for going to the bathroom, a picture of breakfast for breakfast, a picture of his coat to put on his coat and a picture of his minivan to get in the van to go to scholl. Also at the top of the schedule is a picture of the school.

My wife and daughter get all the props from me as they are with Matthew more than I am. Matthew has made progress as he has gone to school each day and hopefully can develop that someday he can maybe be "cured" as we have heard stories about this in the past.

I hope this little story can educate people a bit more on the subject and thank you for taking the time to read.
    Med,
    Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. It is good that we can share this with fellow members. It broadens our knowledge in the area. I wish young Matthew all the best. My prayers will be with you, your wife and daughter as you continue to experience all of the progress Matthew will make.

(Give him a few more years and he'll probably be one of the best thread makers and posters on Broncomania! )
    Last edited by Emancipator; 04-10-2006, 08:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Medford Bronco
    replied
    Med...that's awesome. So many families don't understand and cater to one family members problems as your family has. I applaud you and your wife for taking the time and effort to understand your son and pursue things in his life that make him comfortable. Life has thrown you a curve ball and your family has risen to the occasion. Congrats again.

Thank you for the information. This information makes it easier for people in the world to interact with your son. I have an aunt that is mentally retarded and without such information, people are very mean. I wish you all the success in the world with your son and your family!
    I wish your aunt well and hope that people can understand her perpective a bit better.

Leave a comment:

• Medford Bronco
    replied
    RedBirdy, Jaws and Gelove thank you for the support. I am just trying to enlighten people just a bit. Thank you for taking the time to read the thread

Leave a comment:

• Giveemlove
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaws
    Like Red said, I have nothing but respect for you. They are both lovely kids and you have every reason to be proud of them. If anything, when your kid has difficulties every little step they take forward is all the more special. With living in a loving environment such as the one you and your wife provide and the proper support of increasingly improving public services I'm sure Matthew will not want for anything.

My brother's music teacher has a grown up son with autism. Obviously when he was growing up not a lot was known about this condition and just like yourself his parents were shocked initially and found it quite hard to accept. The following is a poem a friend of hers from South Africa made for her son:

You are who you are for a reason
    You're part of an intricate plan
    You're a precious, perfect unique design
    Called God's special woman or man.
    The parents you had were the ones He chose
    And no matter how you may feel,
    They were custom-designed with God's plan in mind
    And they bear the Master's seal.
    No that trauma you faced was not easy,
    And God wept that it hurt you so
    But it was allowed to shape your heart,
    So that in His likeness you'd grow.
    You are who you are for a reason,
    You've been formed by the Master's rod,
    You are who you are, beloved
    Cared for and watched over by God.

Jaws...that poem is beautiful. If I may, I think I am going to print that out and put together in frame or some form for my aunt. She would love it.

Leave a comment:

• Giveemlove
    replied
    Med...that's awesome. So many families don't understand and cater to one family members problems as your family has. I applaud you and your wife for taking the time and effort to understand your son and pursue things in his life that make him comfortable. Life has thrown you a curve ball and your family has risen to the occasion. Congrats again.

Thank you for the information. This information makes it easier for people in the world to interact with your son. I have an aunt that is mentally retarded and without such information, people are very mean. I wish you all the success in the world with your son and your family!

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    replied
    I just wanted to make a thread on autism and PDD which stands for pervasive developmental disorders.

The reason for the thread is that I have a 4 1/2 yr old son, (pictured in my sig) who has PDD. He was diagnosed in Sep of 2004 and when it first happened, my wife and I could not believe it and did not want to accept it.

Autism is a complex disorder and sometimes is it had to diagnose as my son is very bright and speaks well. However some of the early warning signs were that he did not always respond to his name when called and then he also seemed to perservate on something. Eg he would start to recite words from a commerical on tv out of the blue when not prompted or out of context. He somtimes starts saying words like "Geico well save you 5% on your auto insurance" for no reason whatsoever.

With any ASD (austism spectrum disorders) children like to be in a daily routine. Matthew likes things to be that same way each day and any "transition" throws him off. Each day he goes to an integrated school where they try to teach him the necessary skills to be able to lead a childhood like a "typical" child. Children with ASD get frustrated any usually when things do not go as planned they tend to hit, kick, bite, etc. We ask Matthew to "use his words' when he needs something and we will even give him the words to help him.

Also another neat thing used for children with ASD is a schedule. When Matthew gets up in the morning we have a morning schedule with pictures of a clock (getting up), medicine to take his medicine, the toilet for going to the bathroom, a picture of breakfast for breakfast, a picture of his coat to put on his coat and a picture of his minivan to get in the van to go to scholl. Also at the top of the schedule is a picture of the school.

My wife and daughter get all the props from me as they are with Matthew more than I am. Matthew has made progress as he has gone to school each day and hopefully can develop that someday he can maybe be "cured" as we have heard stories about this in the past.

I hope this little story can educate people a bit more on the subject and thank you for taking the time to read.
    Like Red said, I have nothing but respect for you. They are both lovely kids and you have every reason to be proud of them. If anything, when your kid has difficulties every little step they take forward is all the more special. With living in a loving environment such as the one you and your wife provide and the proper support of increasingly improving public services I'm sure Matthew will not want for anything.

My brother's music teacher has a grown up son with autism. Obviously when he was growing up not a lot was known about this condition and just like yourself his parents were shocked initially and found it quite hard to accept. The following is a poem a friend of hers from South Africa made for her son:

You are who you are for a reason
    You're part of an intricate plan
    You're a precious, perfect unique design
    Called God's special woman or man.
    The parents you had were the ones He chose
    And no matter how you may feel,
    They were custom-designed with God's plan in mind
    And they bear the Master's seal.
    No that trauma you faced was not easy,
    And God wept that it hurt you so
    But it was allowed to shape your heart,
    So that in His likeness you'd grow.
    You are who you are for a reason,
    You've been formed by the Master's rod,
    You are who you are, beloved
    Cared for and watched over by God.

Leave a comment:

• redbirdy80
    replied
    Med,

I can't say this enough, your story is beautiful, and I have all the respect for you in the world... It sounds like you and your family have done/are doing everything you can in order to love your son as he is, while at the same time, helping him to become the best version of himself he can. He will continue to thrive in that supportive nurturing environment, and I wish you all the best of luck with it... If you ever need anything you think I might be able to help with, PLEASE don't hesitate to ask. I am coming from the other side of the system, and may have that extra bit of insight that helps something come clearer or easier to handle. I would love to do anything I can.

What a beautiful boy!

Leave a comment:

• Medford Bronco
    started a topic Autism Spectrum Disorders/PDD

Autism Spectrum Disorders/PDD

Working...
X