What's the deal with dress codes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the deal with dress codes?

Why in the world do some places have dress codes? No T-shirts! No hats! No gym shoes! No shorts! Nothing pisses me off more than going somewhere and someone telling me I have to take my hat off or I can't get in with a T-shirt on. Most of the time I just don't go out when someone invites me to go out and the place has these "rules". Especially the no gym shoes thing. I don't want to even go to a place like that.

I'm going to D.C. tomorrow to watch the Dodgers/Nats game and afterward some friends and I are going out. This bar we're going to has a no hat policy. Well we're going to a damn baseball game before and who doesn't wear a hat to a baseball game? And it's not like this is a classy place. They're having a power hour that night.

Any opinions on the dress codes? On all these rules?
    Last edited by Peanut; 05-31-2012, 09:57 PM.

Originally posted by In-com-plete
    Why in the world do some places have dress codes? No T-shirts! No hats! No gym shoes! No shorts! Nothing pisses me off more than going somewhere and someone telling me I have to take my hat off or I can't get in with a T-shirt on. Most of the time I just don't go out when someone invites me to go out and the place has these "rules". Especially the no gym shoes thing. I don't want to even go to a place like that.

I'm going to D.C. tomorrow to watch the Dodgers/Nats game and afterward some friends and I are going out. This bar we're going to has a no hat policy. Well we're going to a damn baseball game before and who doesn't wear a hat to a baseball game? And it's not like this is a classy place. They're having a power hour that night.

Any opinions on the dress codes? On all these rules?
    For me it all depends on where you are.

I say for a bar a hat should be okay. But for a workplace, it should be at least business casual for an office. Some people have no clue and cross the line on this and then the company goes back to strict dress code where dress pants, jacket and tie for men and matching slacks/skirt coat for women.

All I have to say is I agee on some of your post, but I would not wear a hat to a sit down restaurant if it is classy.

That is my 2 cents
    Last edited by Peanut; 05-31-2012, 09:57 PM.
    NHL Blog at:NHL Blog by Medford Bronco!

Comment

I don't go anywhere that there is a dress code these days (with the exception of something like a huge banquet, or wedding, etc etc).

I think it's enough that i'm giving them my money.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Originally posted by Medford Bronco
        For me it all depends on where you are.

I say for a bar a hat should be okay. But for a workplace, it should be at least business casual for an office. Some people have no clue and cross the line on this and then the company goes back to strict dress code where dress pants, jacket and tie for men and matching slacks/skirt coat for women.

All I have to say is I agee on some of your post, but I would not wear a hat to a sit down restaurant if it is classy.

That is my 2 cents
        I should have been a little more specific with my first post. All of that was directed towards going out to bars and clubs. I have to wear khaki pants and a nice shirt to work and that's fine. I have to wear a shirt with a collar on the golf course and that's fine (although I used to get pissed about that 10 or so years ago). And weddings/funerals goes without saying. But there are bars around Richmond that won't let you in if you have shorts or gym shoes on.

The worst is going to a bar and paying a cover only to take two steps in and have a bouncer tell me to take my hat off. I mean tell me that before I payed the cover or got this stamp on my hand.

Comment

SHRUG.

Private places can do whatever they want.

And, as you have said, you are always welcome to take your business elsewhere.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
          You should check these guys out

Comment

Why is it woman can get away with wearing a tank top on a golf course and men cant ?
            BTW, Im not against men having to wear a collared shirt or slacks. I just feel women golfers should have to comply as well. I bring this up only because I was playing a pretty decent course last week and the group in front of us had this woman wearing a tank top that I know a man would never be allowed to wear.

Comment

Dress codes at these places are similar to CoC on Broncomania........they are privately run so they can set the rules.

We may not like them but if we want to do business or participant we have to abide by the rules or at least never get caught.
              Emancipate your mind!
              The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Emancipator
                Dress codes at these places are similar to CoC on Broncomania........they are privately run so they can set the rules.

We may not like them but if we want to do business or participant we have to abide by the rules or at least never get caught.
                That's a good post E. And it's kinda where I wanted this thread to go. I think I know why some of these places have dress codes. They want to keep certain types of people out. It's like discrimination without discrimination. Does that make sense?

Comment

That's a good post E. And it's kinda where I wanted this thread to go. I think I know why some of these places have dress codes. They want to keep certain types of people out. It's like discrimination without discrimination. Does that make sense?
                  It totally does. I asked why I couldn't wear a hat once, and it was because of 'gang affiliation.' A couple of times I've been let in, just because the door guys knew me. But I agree that they're trying to discriminate, without discrimination. Keeping "seedy" characters out.
                  sigpic
                  HOPING TO SEE MORE OF THIS IN 2012

ESPN’s John Clayton reported that McKenzie is expected to review Jackson’s performance for the next week or so. Clayton reports that the odds favor Jackson staying in Oakland, but a decision has not been made. "I still get the feeling Jackson will end up being retained." 3 1/2 HOURS LATER, THE RAIDERS FIRED JACKSON.....GOOD CALL CLAYTON

Comment

I'm going to D.C. tomorrow to watch the Dodgers/Nats game and afterward some friends and I are going out. This bar we're going to has a no hat policy. Well we're going to a damn baseball game before and who doesn't wear a hat to a baseball game? And it's not like this is a classy place. They're having a power hour that night for christs sake.
                    Personally, I think a Dodger hat is appropriate attire anywhere! That doesn't mean I would actually wear it anywhere, just that I agree with you! Sidenote: Hawaiian shirts should also be appropriate for any occasion

Comment

Originally posted by horsesense
                      Why is it woman can get away with wearing a tank top on a golf course and men cant ?
                      BTW, Im not against men having to wear a collared shirt or slacks. I just feel women golfers should have to comply as well. I bring this up only because I was playing a pretty decent course last week and the group in front of us had this woman wearing a tank top that I know a man would never be allowed to wear.

So what your saying is....that you DONT want women to wear tank tops ....sorry bud Im with the ladies on this one

Comment

Originally posted by AZOmae
                        It totally does. I asked why I couldn't wear a hat once, and it was because of 'gang affiliation.' A couple of times I've been let in, just because the door guys knew me. But I agree that they're trying to discriminate, without discrimination. Keeping "seedy" characters out.
                        I know this is why a lot of schools and such have such rules.

Hats and colors can now represent gangs, thus causing unneccesary conflict.

Now the gym shorts...hmmm..maybe they just don't want to see guys in short gym shorts? I dunno, I suppose it is to make newcomers think that the place has some class and will be aesthetically pleasing.

Comment

I agree completely with any dress code. My employees are and will adhere to a very strick enforcement of the company dress code. Including office personel, no casual Fridays.
                          [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
                          Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

Originally posted by TEXSOONER/BRONC
                            I agree completely with any dress code. My employees are and will adhere to a very strick enforcement of the company dress code. Including office personel, no casual Fridays.
                            How about business casual Tex. Kahkis with a collar shirt and shoes

on Fridays
                            NHL Blog at:NHL Blog by Medford Bronco!

Comment

Originally posted by Medford Bronco
                              How about business casual Tex. Kahkis with a collar shirt and shoes

on Fridays
                              uh....no. no slacks for women either.
                              [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
                              Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

Working...
                              X