The never ending soap opera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The never ending soap opera

My recent shindig with the soap opera in the men's application thread reminded me of a great game that we can all play.

What you do is, I start off with a story, yet I do not finish it. The next poster then adds on to the story, again not finishing it. This continually goes on until the story can go no more (could be forever, could be in a few posts, hopefully the former). If a story does die, then next person starts a new one.

This game allows for fun, great stories that also allow us to see how each of us writes and thinks!

The rules are:
    try to go on with the story (dont try to intentionally kill it).

you can go off on a tangent but do not ignore what your previous writers wrote.

Don't break the CoC

Try to let others get a chance to write. If you have posted, please try to let one or two other people post before you.

Try to at least write a paragraph, no one liners (like "but then she died")

Do not make fun of each others writing, its supposed to be fun (and funny when two conflicting styles clash like a sci fi writer and a romantic one).

Have fun!

oh, and to start it off, i'll write the first part.

this should be interesting!
    Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

I also forgot, I suppose you can use other board members in your writing, but do NOT use them in a way that is to belittle, accuse, or bash in a harmful way. Now calling anton or WhoDey crazy is fine.

and if you are in a story, don't take anyting too personal unless it was meant to be (which it better not be......).

oh, and I dont care if you change it from 1st person to 3rd, etc..

Now to start:

The Gem/Davii and LT/Jewels marriage ceremonies were about to start. The virtual flowers were set out, the virtual tables were set, the virtual doves were ready to fly around like trained (it took RedBirdy 13 virtual hours to train them!), and the dirty dancers were ready to spring out once the ceremony started. Yet all was not well.

For in the shadows, a conspirer lurked, it was WhoDey with his weather machine! Despite previous efforts, WhoDey has not been caught by inspector Dogfish or Sherrif Mtn_man (who currently is on leave as he searches for Jaws, Madam Pirate nibbler).

WhoDey sat there, hiding between the dirty dancers, ready to spring! He had originally planned the machine to snow against the Broncos so they would lose against the Bungles...I mean Bengals, but he had other plans until then.

Just as the virtual couples were about to kiss, he aimed his gun at the ceiling and......

now someone else take the story somewhere!

Comment

I love round robins!

The biggest trick with them is to NOT write something that limits the next person (or two or three people). Even if you, as a writer of a section, decide to take something in a direction, leave that direction equally broad and try to leave the possibility to explore not only new directions but revisit old.

I think, for a soap opera-type story, this is especially important.

Cinamumininumiminum-inum said that try to write at least a paragraph. Is there an upper limit, because I can get quite long-winded when I write?
        Victory and defeat are matters of the temporary force of circumstance.

Thanks, Snk16!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldritch
          I love round robins!

The biggest trick with them is to NOT write something that limits the next person (or two or three people). Even if you, as a writer of a section, decide to take something in a direction, leave that direction equally broad and try to leave the possibility to explore not only new directions but revisit old.

I think, for a soap opera-type story, this is especially important.

Cinamumininumiminum-inum said that try to write at least a paragraph. Is there an upper limit, because I can get quite long-winded when I write?
          I suppose the character limit, have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by cinnamunmun
            I suppose the character limit, have fun!
            Are comments allowed to jump in, like these?

Because I just wanted to add that I can't wait to see what Eldritch does from there, if he picks it up now!

Thanks, Reid!
            sigpic
            Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon
              Are comments allowed to jump in, like these?

Because I just wanted to add that I can't wait to see what Eldritch does from there, if he picks it up now!

Yea, I suppose it is allowed, and if you are going to pick up the story, post a short thing saying you will, then make another post with the story! That way nobody will get cheated out of a turn!

Comment

I think comments make things more fun, but maybe there should be a rule that story stuff CANNOT be discussed. In other words, you can talk about the story and what's going on, but can't commiserate as to what would/should happen next.

And I don't have to be the next person to post. Indeed, I might just sit back and wait to pounce. LT certainly has the narrative chops to excel and since WhoDey's about to ruin everything, maybe he should be given an opportunity to respond!
                Victory and defeat are matters of the temporary force of circumstance.

Thanks, Snk16!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldritch
                  I think comments make things more fun, but maybe there should be a rule that story stuff CANNOT be discussed. In other words, you can talk about the story and what's going on, but can't commiserate as to what would/should happen next.

And I don't have to be the next person to post. Indeed, I might just sit back and wait to pounce. LT certainly has the narrative chops to excel and since WhoDey's about to ruin everything, maybe he should be given an opportunity to respond!
                  I appreciate that compliment greatly, Eldritch... but sadly I have to go for now... Someone else will have to jump in. I'll take my shot eventually.
                  Thanks, Reid!
                  sigpic
                  Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Me and my weather machine will rain on this parade.

Guys, if I'm to be the bad guy, at least make me more Kaiser Sose and less Dr. Claw. Thanks.
                    HEAR ME ROAR!
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals

Guys, if I'm to be the bad guy, at least make me more Kaiser Sose and less Dr. Claw. Thanks.
                      Well, add onto it

Comment

I don't know who the first guy is, but Dr. Claw had a bad ass voice.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                        You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
                          I don't know who the first guy is, but Dr. Claw had a bad ass voice.
                          He was also completely incompetent and obviously used less than effective hiring practices.
                          HEAR ME ROAR!
                          sigpic

Comment

He was also completely incompetent and obviously used less than effective hiring practices.

Well, he WAS a cartoon character.

He was actually just an arm.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                            You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
                              He was actually just an arm.
                              Stop talking smack about my love life.
                              HEAR ME ROAR!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X