• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbine killer Eric Harris's essay

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...olumbine1.html

Ummm, can you say "warning signs"?

An interesting and ironic read.

One question. Why the hell do these kids go on killing rampages?

If you do go play GTA. (Unfortunately Im not allowed to play GTA and im 13) But I have and its awesome.
    MMA News
    MMA News 247

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight

I've read parts of it but sadly it was true. Back then should someone had said "I'm going to shoot the school" I might have just blown it off.

The best we can do now is to make sure we don't repeat that mistake twice.

Comment

Originally posted by champbronc2

If you do go play GTA. (Unfortunately Im not allowed to play GTA and im 13) But I have and its awesome.
        They played games like that. One they really liked was Doom.

Violent video games have a chance of releasing the violent side of people. I think though it has a bigger effect on violent people than previously non-violent ones.

I did a report on it this last year. I can't remember what all of it was exactly though. I can try finding it if anyone really wants to see it.

Comment

The Idea of more police officers is a very good solution. However, this would cost more money for the tax payers. The end result, in my opinion, is worth every penny
          So very ironic, that he would advocate for safer schools. Who knows what could have happened, if someone would have payed attention.

As had been reported, these two had been mocked and ridiculed for some time. They acted the only way they really knew how. In high school, its not exactly like you can just tell the teacher that these people are making fun of you. You will just be mocked more. Instead of being more mature, and just walking away, and forgetting the people that mocked them, moving on with their lives, they lashed out, and made sure they didnt feel the pain any more. A truly sad reality of life.
          Last edited by draco193; 07-10-2006, 05:00 PM.
          sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
          SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Originally posted by cinnamunmun

Violent video games have a chance of releasing the violent side of people. I think though it has a bigger effect on violent people than previously non-violent ones.

I did a report on it this last year. I can't remember what all of it was exactly though. I can try finding it if anyone really wants to see it.

I think the kids do need some kind of release.

Ever notice how there seems to be more fights in Baseball than in Football?

It's because in football, you can get release on the next tackle.

In baseball, they let it stew for years and years untill they see that player again and then they plunk em. Soon the whole team is fighting. The memory in baseball is long when you have no release.

I don't think violent video games/music are as bad as they say because of this. It does help release some of those bottled up emotions.

But you do run the risk of some kids acting out those violent games/music.

Comment

There should be a curriculum in order to buy violent video games. If you pass you got it if you dont then no game for you.

I wish people could be responsible with games.
              MMA News
              MMA News 247

Comment

Originally posted by champbronc2

Unfortunately those kind of games actually do encourage these types of stuff and to say play GTA isn't that great of a tip

Comment

I would disagree on violence in video games. To me, it's a chicken/egg/something else kind of problem - do people play violent video games because they're predisposed towards violence, or do people become violent after playing violent video games, or is there no relationship between the two? I think we all know plenty of people who play these kinds of games that experience nothing in terms of increased propensity for violent behavior.

Also, there are plenty of violent criminals who have never played any video games, ever. Might they be more inclined to enjoy a video game where you can riddle somebody's twitching corpse with a hail of hot lead? I'm certain that the Unabomber would probably be more inclined to play Duke Nuke'em than the Care Bears Happy Happy Fun Time.... however, the video game doesn't act as a catalyst.

To me, blaming behavior of this kind on entertainment like video games, professional wrestling, violent movies, etc is a cop-out. Countries like Canada, nations in Western Europe, and Japan have cultures that allow for violence in entertainment without this kind of backlash. Why is the US more violent?

Hmmm.

EDIT: By the way, once upon a time I was good enough at Quake II to be in several clans, and I plan to get back in to FPS's when I get my new compy.
                  HEAR ME ROAR!
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals
                    I would disagree on violence in video games. To me, it's a chicken/egg/something else kind of problem - do people play violent video games because they're predisposed towards violence, or do people become violent after playing violent video games, or is there no relationship between the two? I think we all know plenty of people who play these kinds of games that experience nothing in terms of increased propensity for violent behavior.

Also, there are plenty of violent criminals who have never played any video games, ever. Might they be more inclined to enjoy a video game where you can riddle somebody's twitching corpse with a hail of hot lead? I'm certain that the Unabomber would probably be more inclined to play Duke Nuke'em than the Care Bears Happy Happy Fun Time.... however, the video game doesn't act as a catalyst.

To me, blaming behavior of this kind on entertainment like video games, professional wrestling, violent movies, etc is a cop-out. Countries like Canada, nations in Western Europe, and Japan have cultures that allow for violence in entertainment without this kind of backlash. Why is the US more violent?

Hmmm.

EDIT: By the way, once upon a time I was good enough at Quake II to be in several clans, and I plan to get back in to FPS's when I get my new compy.
                    When I did my report what was found out is that violent kids tend to act out more with violent games, I suppose you can look at it as an encouragement while their brain and habits are still developing. While the less violent kids/non-violent ones didn't do much at all. It doesn not effect everybody though it seemed.

You make a good point about violent kids wanting to play violent games. I tried to find any studies on that, but since games are relatively new, studies are very limited.

One thing that did stand out on me though: all effects that the studies found can almost be completely neutralized if the parents reinforce ggod behavior and spend time with their children.

And then there are poeple like us who know better than to shoot people in real life, yet laugh as we do it in games! (I was always more of a Halo or Counter Strike guy than Quake). I also get angry at racing games though, never anything else (except those stupid cheaters on Madden Online...).

One sad thing though, it is true that games/TV can teach bad things. First time when I shot a gun in the mountains I knew how to reload it, etc. without being taught.

Comment

well i am on the 2nd page, but this made me remember sumthing that happend this year at my school..and kid brought a Knife to school it wasnt a pocket knife but one that looked like this

this was only middle school....the same kid ran away off a bus one day too...
                      i dont know what his intent was on with useing the knife...but i belive it was to show off

I still miss the blue background.

Comment

Originally posted by maruske845
                        well i am on the 2nd page, but this made me remember sumthing that happend this year at my school..and kid brought a Knife to school it wasnt a pocket knife but one that looked like this

this was only middle school....the same kid ran away off a bus one day too...
                        i dont know what his intent was on with useing the knife...but i belive it was to show off
                        A kid at my former high school got expelled in the last month of school. He was an IB kid (kind of like Advanced Placement, AP, but different) and very nice yet he brought a bunch of guns to school to show off. Some mom saw him and reported it.

On the other hand, some kids do intend to use it or to scare people off. I remember this one kid was saying "white kids cant fight" and the monster of the football team heard him. The kid got expelled the next day when he was caught having a gun he was going to bring to their fight. Ironic, yes. sad, yes again.

Comment

In some schools nearby mine they found a death list in some kids locker and was planning on to kill the people in the list...

I heard the kid was teased incredibly in school but that still doesn't give you an excuse to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight

An ironic read? Yes. Warning signs? Ehhh, maybe not so much. There are so many essays written on so many topics, that if a classmate wrote a paper about school shootings and what needs to be done to prevent them, I wouldn't suddenly get worried about them going on a rampage killing everyone.

This past year I wrote a research paper on prostitution, deciding to take the stand that prostitution should be legalized in the United States. There were some stretches made in there, and it wasn't really a great paper... but since I wrote about prostitution (and legalizing it at that) does that mean I'm going to grow up and become a male prostitute?
                            RIP Darrent Williams

Comment

Originally posted by The_Roses_Thorn
                              This past year I wrote a research paper on prostitution, deciding to take the stand that prostitution should be legalized in the United States. There were some stretches made in there, and it wasn't really a great paper... but since I wrote about prostitution (and legalizing it at that) does that mean I'm going to grow up and become a male prostitute?

Ohh come on!

Everyone does everything they say in essay's!

I expect you will be turning tricks by the time you graduate.

Comment

Working...
                              X