X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police surround house in five-hour standoff, but nobody home

2006-07-16
    by ANDREW BINION

PORT ANGELES -- A five-hour standoff between Port Angeles police and a reportedly suicidal woman with a knife Friday afternoon ended without a bang, or a whimper.

She wasn't there.

Police responded to a house on the 1500 block of South K Street at 1:30 p.m. after a woman told 9-1-1 dispatchers that her adult daughter had barricaded herself inside with a knife and was suicidal.

At least four officers and one Clallam County sheriff's deputy responded to the scene.

One officer watching the back of the residence was armed with an assault rifle.

Police closed off the street immediately in front of the house and began attempting to make contact with the woman.

First negotiators tried then the phone inside, then used a ``throw phone'' common in crisis negotiations, and finally blared a bullhorn siren.

Neighbors watch

Meanwhile, neighbors and children stood outside, watching.

A State Patrol bomb squad robot device was brought to the scene, Port Angeles Police Cpl. Kevin Miller said Saturday.

The robot was deployed inside the residence, but couldn't find her.

The house was empty the whole time, Miller said.

Officers cleared the scene at 6:17 p.m., he said.
    http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/si...ry/html/261307
    This space for rent

They shoulda shot it up, Lt. Frank Drebin style.

Comment

Where was the suicidal girl then?
      sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
      Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

I dunno what happened to the suicidal girl. But what irks me the most about this article is:
        One officer watching the back of the residence was armed with an assault rifle.
        WTF is up w/ that?™
        This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by urinal_cake
          I dunno what happened to the suicidal girl. But what irks me the most about this article is:

WTF is up w/ that?™
          The thing about people that are on the edge and the brink of it all is they are not rational. Especially one armed with a knife or other deadly weapon.

In real life, its mainly secondary. They aren't going to shoot her, it's just a device that keeps her pyschologically from doing anything irrational. It's a threat.

I know it seems horrible, but I've seen this suicide scenario play out once before. The person waives the knife and asks them to back off when they try to communicate with them. In case she goes over the edge, it's used to keep her from doing anything too deadly.
          sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
          Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Working...
          X