X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Augustus' birthplace believed found

Augustus' birthplace believed found

Wed Jul 19, 8:20 PM ET

ROME - A team of archaeologists announced Wednesday they have uncovered part of what they believe is the birthplace of Rome's first emperor Augustus.

Leading archaeologist Clementina Panella said the team has dug up part of a corridor and other fragments under Rome's Palatine Hill, which she described as "a very ancient aristocratic house."

Panella said that she could not yet be certain that the house was where Augustus was born in 63 B.C., but added that historical cross-checks and other findings nearby have showed that the emperor was particularly fond of the area, she said.

Excavations on the Palatine in recent decades have turned up wonders such as another renewed Augustus' house, including two rooms with stunning frescoes of masked figures and pine branches.

Panella said there are at least two houses on the Palatine where the emperor was known to have lived. Much has yet to be uncovered, hidden in underground passageways.

Link
    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

um... just a guess, but was the first roman emprorer born in what is now known as.... Rome?

If you take what I have to say seriously, then I'm embarrassed for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncofan-13
      um... just a guess, but was the first roman emprorer born in what is now known as.... Rome?
      He was the first emperor. He was the greatest of all the emperors - that's why August is named after him

He was declared a god following his death and is known as - The Divine Augustus.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown
        He was the first emperor. He was the greatest of all the emperors - that's why August is named after him

He was declared a god following his death and is known as - The Divine Augustus.

and the first month of the year is named after lord Bobbert Mac january, emporer of asia!!!

Comment

and the first month of the year is named after lord Bobbert Mac january, emporer of asia!!!
          January is named after the Roman God, Janus. He is the god of beginnings and ends and guards entryways. January is the first month - beginning a new year. Hence, it is named for Janus.

Comment

Sweet, the palatine hills are my favorite hills of all!

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

January is named after the Roman God, Janus. He is the god of beginnings and ends and guards entryways. January is the first month - beginning a new year. Hence, it is named for Janus.

way to kill a perfectly ridiculous joke.

Im not THAT ignorant you know.

Comment

Well, this is all very exciting, however, I prefer the history of Tiberius as well as Claudius.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

way to kill a perfectly ridiculous joke.

Im not THAT ignorant you know.
                  Don't worry - I understood your joke. I just let you know where it came from. Everyone here knows, I'm sure, that I'm majoring in history and am an avid historian - especially Roman History. I may be a bit too into Rome ... to a major extent - but I'm not going to get into that at this moment.

Comment

Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
                    Well, this is all very exciting, however, I prefer the history of Tiberius as well as Claudius.
                    I'm not too fond of Tiberius - especially his rise to power. It is believed that Tiberius or his mother poisoned Augustus in order to hasten his demise. That there is really upsetting especially considering the greatness of Augustus.

Claudius was a good emperor though. His cousin Caligula was as well - at the beginning of his reign. Before he became gravely ill. Nobody knows for sure what Caligula became ill with but it got to his brain. Whatever it was - left him a raving madman.

Comment

I'm not too fond of Tiberius - especially his rise to power. It is believed that Tiberius or his mother poisoned Augustus in order to hasten his demise. That there is really upsetting especially considering the greatness of Augustus.

Claudius was a good emperor though. His cousin Caligula was as well - at the beginning of his reign. Before he became gravely ill. Nobody knows for sure what Caligula became ill with but it got to his brain. Whatever it was - left him a raving madman.

caligula? Ive seen that movie.

Honestly, roman history holds very little intrigue for me. I know enough to get by, but I dont hold any special interest in it.

Comment

caligula? Ive seen that movie.

Honestly, roman history holds very little intrigue for me. I know enough to get by, but I dont hold any special interest in it.
                        I can understand that.
                        However, I took latin for a few years, (not just the language, but the history and culture of ancient rome)
                        If you get a chance to go to Italy, you begin to learn of these things firsthand, and that really makes it exciting.

Comment

I'm very familiar with both points. (Read "I, Claudius" through and through)

I enjoy learning about Tiberius because I was lucky enough to visit his villa on the top of the island of Capri on two occasions...breath-taking..especially standing in the same spot where he would have his enemies thrown over the cliff into the ocean below.

Comment

Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
                            I'm very familiar with both points. (Read "I, Claudius" through and through)

I enjoy learning about Tiberius because I was lucky enough to visit his villa on the top of the island of Capri on two occasions...breath-taking..especially standing in the same spot where he would have his enemies thrown over the cliff into the ocean below.
                            That would be awesome. I hope to someday visit Italy. In fact - at the end of my life. I want to live there - spending the last years of my life. I really want to see Rome. I remember reading a long time ago a story about Augustus. Going to try to recite it - maybe you've heard it to.

"Augustus visited a wealthy friend who owned a villa by the sea. The friend raised Lamprey - which he threw his servants into when he disliked their service. This friend had a fine collection of crystal glasses which he wanted to impress Augustus with. At the dinner one of the servants accidentally dropped one such glass - which shattered. The master grew angry at that and ordered that the servant be thrown to the Lamprey. But Augustus spoke up - and ordered the servants to destroy all the fine glasses in the house and to fill the pool that the lampreys lived in with concrete."

Comment

Working...
                            X