Child Abuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Abuse

I was talking on the phone with one of my good freind when he told me that when his 3 year old son throws a tantrum he (My Friend) and his wife will throw a 3 oz glass of water in there sons face. My questions to you is that child abuse
    Yes
    25.00%
    No
    75.00%
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
    sigpic

I wouldnt call it abuse, but I think its a little over the top.

I wonder what kind of long term damage it will do.

I still think the best way to deal with a tantrum is to turn your back and let it run its coarse. More often than not, the child is just trying to get attention, so paying it no mind is better then most any response.

Just my .02

Comment

nope...

kids these days are allowed to doo way too much crap...

what we need more is some more old school behavioral training...

look at society...

there is not more respect or common descency among the younger generation because people are too pansy to punish their kids..

if the kid screws up...

make sure he knows he has...

eventually he will stop...

and its not like they are giving the kid black eyes...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by anton1287
        nope...

kids these days are allowed to doo way too much crap...

what we need more is some more old school behavioral training...

look at society...

there is not more respect or common descency among the younger generation because people are too pansy to punish their kids..

if the kid screws up...

make sure he knows he has...

eventually he will stop...

and its not like they are giving the kid black eyes...

agree.

the space that is mine

We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

Comment

Originally posted by Krugan
          I wouldnt call it abuse, but I think its a little over the top.

I wonder what kind of long term damage it will do.

I still think the best way to deal with a tantrum is to turn your back and let it run its coarse. More often than not, the child is just trying to get attention, so paying it no mind is better then most any response.

Just my .02
          long term damage??

what??

will he have socialy disfiguring phobia of glasses filled with water??

cmon...

back in the day parents used to hit their kids for punishment sake...

not send thier kids to their rooms where they ahve computers and xboxes and crap...

how can you just let a tantrum run its course??

the kid will then think its ok to do so...

and he will...

then again i agree that also sometimes to not give the child the attentiont hat it seeks from that particualr behaviour is also very affective...

but whatever!!

sigpic

Comment

Well society wont allow you to spank your child anymore. What you do in your home is your business until they go to school and the child makes a comment about a spanking.

I do agree, a good swat on the butt goes a long way in comanding attention.

Although it is not needed if you are a solid parent that commands respect.

I

Comment

long term damage??

what??

cmon...

not send thier kids to their rooms where they ahve computers and xboxes and crap...

and he will...

then again i agree that also sometimes to not give the child the attentiont hat it seeks from that particualr behaviour is also very affective...

but whatever!!

Negative enforcement is not a good thing. Throwing a glass of water inst a proper way to deal with your child, maybe your cat, on the back of the couch.

I disagree, if the child learns that throwing a tantrum isnt producing its wants, it becomes useless. In theory.
              Last edited by Krugan; 07-24-2006, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Negative enforcement is not a good thing. Throwing a glass of water inst a proper way to deal with your child, maybe your cat, on the back of the couch.
                i didnt way the water was a good idea but punishemnt in general...

water imo is stupid...

but whatever...

and to become a "solid parent"... one must initially establish an reawrd and punishemnt system with the child that intitailly involves punishemnt for missbehaviour.. and then the kid will know insitically...

sigpic

Comment

I disagree, if the child learns that throwing a tantrum isnt producing its wants, it becomes useless. In theory.
                  thats why its a theory...

and in some rare cases it may work...

but maybe not for tantrums...

THEY HAVE TO STOP!!!

and if the kid learns that it wont get fed for 3 days if it throws one..

trust me...

it wont...

sigpic

Comment

We are on the same level.

Just approaching it differently.

Comment

We are on the same level.

Just approaching it differently.
                      agreed...

cp your way when i get some more...

sigpic

Comment

Seems to have worked with my 4 year old...

I havent had a problem with him, unless he is dead dog tired.

Seems to be a something that a majority of "experts" suggest, or at least the 6-10 books I have consulted for help.

Unless they are the touchy feely "experts" who suggest continous positive acts to the child at all costs. You know the people who expect parents to never say the word "no".

Comment

long term damage??

what??

cmon...

and he will...

but whatever!!

I got spankings and crap when i was little. no long term damage here.
                          the space that is mine

We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

Comment

I do'nt think it's abuse.

But it also reminds me of like in "Austin Powers" when they'd spray Mini-Me whenever he was bad...they did it in "The Office" to Michael and Dwight.

But no, it's not abuse. It's water. It's not painful.

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
                            2. Taxes
                            3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

Whenever I threw a temper tantrum my parents used to dump a bucket of boiling water on me later that night, sometimes it would be ice cold as well. Also, whenever I swore my dad would punch me in the face as hard as he could, it's made me a better person today...

Comment

Working...
                              X