help needed!!! computer virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed!!! computer virus

If someone could help me, that would be great. I was surfing the internet, and all of a sudden something popped up and said Warning! Virus detected. It said I have been infected with the Trojan Horse. So it gave me a list of virus protectors and whatnot, so I downloaded one of them. It scanned my computer and found 2 infected files with the Trojan Horse. I then click to clean my computer, but it wouldn't let me do that, I had to register with the serial number which I don't have. I then proceeded to scan my computer with our antivirus that is registered, which we have had since we had our computer. But, it did not detect the virus. I need to know how I can get rid of it, please please please. Thanks in advance.

One more thing, something keeps popping up about Spyware, and I have something like 256 files of Spyware. Anyone know how to get rid of that also?

Originally posted by LbloodOjunkieG
    If someone could help me, that would be great. I was surfing the internet, and all of a sudden something popped up and said Warning! Virus detected. It said I have been infected with the Trojan Horse. So it gave me a list of virus protectors and whatnot, so I downloaded one of them. It scanned my computer and found 2 infected files with the Trojan Horse. I then click to clean my computer, but it wouldn't let me do that, I had to register with the serial number which I don't have. I then proceeded to scan my computer with our antivirus that is registered, which we have had since we had our computer. But, it did not detect the virus. I need to know how I can get rid of it, please please please. Thanks in advance.

One more thing, something keeps popping up about Spyware, and I have something like 256 files of Spyware. Anyone know how to get rid of that also?
    all that is, is that they want u to buy it, i would get norton anti-virus thingy, im clean...
    sigpic

Comment

I figured they just want me to buy it, but I am still infected with a virus and a bunch of spyware. How do I go about deleting the ****? As I said, my normal anti virus did not detect the trojan, which is odd because I ran 2 other virus detectors and they said I have it. Somebody, anybody know anything?

Comment

AV and anti-spyware

If the virus definitions on your current antivirus are up-to-date, then it is probably just a scam to get you to buy their product.

However, it could also be that your computer is infected with a virus that is heuristically different from what your antivirus can detect. Which could mean that the antivirus you own isn't very good.

I suggest that you get PC Shield Professional, Bitdefender AV software. You can download AVG for free if you don't want to buy either of those.

As far as the spyware goes, there are several ways to get rid of them but the best software available is Ad-Aware Professional by LavaSoft.

Hopefully, you know how to get these things for free, if not, PM me and I'll give you some basic instructions

Comment

if a pop up came from internet explorer then its a ploy to get your money, i have Norton and Trend Micro Virus, one of those popups came up for me i searched my system with both and nothing came up

to get rid of the virus though, if you cant find it on a virus program, a new hard drive is in order most likely....

Comment

This can't be happening. I have no idea what I am doing.

Comment

Sorry str8

Originally posted by str8jacket
              if a pop up came from internet explorer then its a ploy to get your money, i have Norton and Trend Micro Virus, one of those popups came up for me i searched my system with both and nothing came up

to get rid of the virus though, if you cant find it on a virus program, a new hard drive is in order most likely....

Getting rid of a virus NEVER EVER requires a new hard drive. Viruses have no ability to damage hardware. If it ever gets to the point of requiring a format, that is as far as it would go, ever.

Even boot sector viruses can be handled without replacing the drive.

Comment

Originally posted by dare2bme
                Getting rid of a virus NEVER EVER requires a new hard drive. Viruses have no ability to damage hardware. If it ever gets to the point of requiring a format, that is as far as it would go, ever.

Even boot sector viruses can be handled without replacing the drive.
                actually, there was ONE incident for me, it was about a month ago when my computer blew up , but seriously, it really did

i took it to best buy, they looked at the Hard Drive and they found one pesky little bugger, apparently it messed around with alot of system files and turned down the speed of my internal fan (i play games alot so i really need it), so the computer got to the point where it was too hot, Motherboard finally blew, and some of the hard drive was toasted

i lost 400 music files that day

Comment

If you don't have antivirus, a good alternative is:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

This is a free online virus scan. If you do have a virus, this will delete it.

For spyware and adware, there are a few good free programs out there:

Lavasoft's Adaware

Spybot Search and Destroy

I run both Adaware and Spybot to protect myself. There are other free reputable programs out there, but those are the two that I use.

And there are a few free anti-virus programs.

The link I provided is nice because it will let you scan without downloading any new software, but here's a link to a free anti-virus program:

AVG antivirus

Again, there are other free antivirus programs out there, but this one works fine.
                  My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
                  . Post Your Artwork .
                  . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Archimedes Owl
                    If you don't have antivirus, a good alternative is:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

This is a free online virus scan. If you do have a virus, this will delete it.

For spyware and adware, there are a few good free programs out there:

Lavasoft's Adaware

Spybot Search and Destroy

I run both Adaware and Spybot to protect myself. There are other free reputable programs out there, but those are the two that I use.

And there are a few free anti-virus programs.

The link I provided is nice because it will let you scan without downloading any new software, but here's a link to a free anti-virus program:

AVG antivirus

Again, there are other free antivirus programs out there, but this one works fine.
                    Spy Sweeper is another good anti-spyware program, thats what i use

Comment

Thanks Owl. So this Housecall thing will detect and delete the trojan virus if i have it? Also, should I not be browsing the internet while all these things are scanning my computer?

Comment

I use E-Trust Anti virus that is provided by my school.

The ad that popped up saying you have a virus, if it wasn't a program that is on your computer and it was a internet window (which thats what it looks like), thats spyware.

So technically, the company used spyware to let you jnow of "viruses" on your computer. You may or may not have them. You definately have spyware now.

Most spyware is harmless, but some can send your personal information to companies and stuff.

The program I use for antispyware is Microsoft Antispyware Beta 2. You can get it for free from the microsoft security downloads.

Its easy to use and works great.

If it keeps up, just reformat your hard drive.

Comment

Originally posted by str8jacket
                          Spy Sweeper is another good anti-spyware program, thats what i use
                          I've also heard good things about that one, but I find spybot and adaware do a good enough job that I don't need anything else.

I like spybot's Tea Timer. I don't know if you guys will care to use it, but it notifies you when a program tries to make a change to your registry and gives you good control of your registry.
                          My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
                          . Post Your Artwork .
                          . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

Umm, sorry but no

Originally posted by cinnamunmun
                            I use E-Trust Anti virus that is provided by my school.

The ad that popped up saying you have a virus, if it wasn't a program that is on your computer and it was a internet window (which thats what it looks like), thats spyware.

So technically, the company used spyware to let you jnow of "viruses" on your computer. You may or may not have them. You definately have spyware now.

Most spyware is harmless, but some can send your personal information to companies and stuff.

The program I use for antispyware is Microsoft Antispyware Beta 2. You can get it for free from the microsoft security downloads.

Its easy to use and works great.

If it keeps up, just reformat your hard drive.
                            Please don't use a Beta to secure your computer. It is such a bad idea. Also, I would suggest you don't use Microsoft to clean Microsoft. Not an issue with them personally, but if they knew their weaknesses/vulnerabilities they should fix them in the OS. There is no way to guarantee they won't have the same weaknesses with that add-on.

Great post Owl, useful tools. The online virus scan, however, does not allow repair.

Also, the previous post about fan speed from a virus is an urban legend in the virus world. Not really true. Fan speed is controlled by your BIOS and is hardware/firmware controlled. There is no way to affect its operation without flashing the bios.

EDIT: Also, AD-AWARE SE PRO is the only really good anti-spyware program... the others look at processes but not the individual threads of the processes.

Comment

Wait did you download a popup because thats pretty much like committing computer suicide.

Comment

Working...
                              X