help needed!!! computer virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Archimedes Owl
    I've also heard good things about that one, but I find spybot and adaware do a good enough job that I don't need anything else.

I like spybot's Tea Timer. I don't know if you guys will care to use it, but it notifies you when a program tries to make a change to your registry and gives you good control of your registry.
    i like that feature for SPy Sweeper, it notifies me right away and wont do anything before i give it permission, im not going to take a second chance on this computer, ive got it locked down

Comment

Originally posted by LbloodOjunkieG
      Thanks Owl. So this Housecall thing will detect and delete the trojan virus if i have it? Also, should I not be browsing the internet while all these things are scanning my computer?
      I wouldn't worry about scanning the internet while these programs are running your computer. It shouldn't affect them.

But, on occasions, I've had trouble with the programs trying to delete some viruses or spyware before.

The online scan has worked for me a good number of times, but sometimes it would find the virus, but would not be able to repair or delete it.

If the programs can't delete the spyware, they will usually give an option to delete it at the next startup, but if that doesn't work, you could try to run the programs in safe mode.

By the way, I thought that the urban legend was that the virus spins the harddrive so fast that it melts.
      My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
      . Post Your Artwork .
      . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by dare2bme
        Please don't use a Beta to secure your computer. It is such a bad idea. Also, I would suggest you don't use Microsoft to clean Microsoft. Not an issue with them personally, but if they knew their weaknesses/vulnerabilities they should fix them in the OS. There is no way to guarantee they won't have the same weaknesses with that add-on.

Great post Owl, useful tools. The online virus scan, however, does not allow repair.

Also, the previous post about fan speed from a virus is an urban legend in the virus world. Not really true. Fan speed is controlled by your BIOS and is hardware/firmware controlled. There is no way to affect its operation without flashing the bios.

EDIT: Also, AD-AWARE SE PRO is the only really good anti-spyware program... the others look at processes but not the individual threads of the processes.
        Don't worry, I also use search and destroy.

I have yet to see a problem with spyware (except last month when I stopped updating.....)

Comment

Originally posted by Archimedes Owl
          I wouldn't worry about scanning the internet while these things are on your computer.

But, on occasions, I've had trouble with the programs trying to delete some viruses or spyware before.

The online scan has worked for me a good number of times, but sometimes it would find the virus, but would not be able to repair or delete it.

If the programs can't delete the spyware, they will usually give an option to delete it at the next startup, but if that doesn't work, you could try to run the programs in safe mode.

By the way, I thought that the urban legend was that the virus spins the harddrive so fast that it melts.

is the bolded part directed towards me?

Comment

Thanks everyone for you replys.

So, an 2 hours later I am no closer than I started. I have scanned my computer with Sbybot search and destroy as well as afew others, but my computer still says there is spyware on it. If anyone can give me step by step instructions or anything, please do.

Comment

So, an 2 hours later I am no closer than I started. I have scanned my computer with Sbybot search and destroy as well as afew others, but my computer still says there is spyware on it. If anyone can give me step by step instructions or anything, please do.
              What is telling you that you have spyware on it?

Also, did you update it?

Another thing you should do is restart your computer in safe mode. Then run the programs.

Comment

It's also theoretically possible that you saw a regular old popup ad and that you don't have spyware.

EDIT: Misread what you wrote. Wait. So, what is saying that you have spyware?? When you scan with anti-spyware programs, do they come up with any hits or is it showing a clean bill of health??
                Last edited by Archimedes Owl; 08-05-2006, 01:49 PM.
                My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
                . Post Your Artwork .
                . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                X