• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• --- Teachers, Parents, Students ---

--- Lend me y'ears !

--- Summer will end next week, and it’s back to school for many of you ---

--- How do you feel about rewards to students for good grades ? ---

--- I remember when I was in school and other students would talk about getting small cash rewards for good grades on their report cards ---

--- It bothered me a bit, because in my family, any undesirable grades that we brought home, brought out THE BELT !!! --- My brothers and sisters and I were expected to do our job in school, and bring home satisfactory grades --- No rewards for doing our job !

--- Now I hear stories that some of today’s students get everything from considerable cash, to sound systems, cars, and exotic vacations promised by their parents if they achieve in school !

--- My question for you to consider is:

--- Do you think incentive programs for students is healthy in the long run.

--- When these students are out of school, and in the day to day work force, are they going to expect recognition for doing their jobs properly ?

--- Are they going to expect rewards from their employers ?

--- Do you students currently get rewards for grades ?

--- Do you parents reward your children ?

--- What point of view do you teachers have on this topic ?

--- Thanks, az

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
    The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
    http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
    My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

I was rewarded occassionaly for good grades, but since I was basically a 4.0 student, nothing but the best was expected from me. I think adding an incentive to do well in school (whether it's monetary or something else) isn't a bad deal if done in moderation. However, I do see why you ask that it could have an effect when entering in the work force.

If my kids do well in school (which is a far ways away) I will probably give them some sort of compensation. Sometimes, "That's great, keep it up!" isn't always good enough to keep them motivated, but I sure hope it is. I'll do it in moderation, for the simple reason that I don't want that to be the only reason they'd want to try hard to succeed.

From a teachers perspective, I don't think many are against it at all.

Comment

My parents expect good grades. Like you said, going to school is our JOB. We're supposed to work hard at it. And really our reward will be going to college and having a good life etc.

Sometimes we will go out to dinner when we get our report cards, but if one of us doesn't do so well that doesn't mean they don't get to go, so it's not really a reward.
      ...capture it...remember it...

Comment

AZ,
        I was raised much like you described in your household.
        I was expected to bring home good grades. I wasn't awarded for them. However, if any of my siblings and I brought home the poor grades, then daddy would bring out the belt.

Well now many employers give employees incentives for doing the job they have been employed to do. Alot of the CEO's of big companies are given rewards and incentives for producing certain at certain levels. Even my own job awards employees for their performances.

Athletes are awarded bonuses for performing and producing at certain levels.

I talk with my children about the importance of doing well in their classes. They know the expectations we have for them. We do not award them for good grades. We do use some positive reinforcement, encouragement, and praises but no monetary or big prizes.

Thanks for the discussion.
        Emancipate your mind!
        The People's Poster

Comment

Good thread AZ.....

My son started school today....this is his last year of HS....

He finished his junior year with 4.1 GPA....

No he does not get awarded with money....and he doesn't expect too....

He actually has set goals for himself and all by hisself...

I have never had to push him to get his homework done...thank the good lord cause I don't have the energy to do that....

His dad and I have set a good working example for him....

we have preached about how important it is for him to go to college so he doesnt get stuck in a mediocre job like we have...altho we do make a nice living....there are times I wish I had gone to school....

He is a good kid and he has NEVER given us any trouble...and his sister hasn't either, they both have been disiplined since they were small....

I am proud of both of my children.....they both grew up too fast....

sorry for the rambling.......

I never made that good of grades....as much as I hate to admit it....I was a wild child and sadly my parents never paid much attention to my grades as long as I was passing....good parents....just was ready for us kids to be on our own when the time came...
          KCLadyFan
          Still a Tony fan
          Last edited by KCLadyFan; 08-17-2006, 10:08 PM.
          Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

My siblings were slackers and got through school by the skin of their teeth.
            Me on the other hand, I could sleep in class and learn by osmosis. So I always looked good in comparison. The only thing my teachers ever griped about was effort, saying if I tried harder I could be an A+ student, but by barely trying I was still a B+ student and got to have fun in the after school hours.
            The Game Day Thread: Year 17 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elway
              My siblings were slackers and got through school by the skin of their teeth.
              Me on the other hand, I could sleep in class and learn by osmosis. So I always looked good in comparison. The only thing my teachers ever griped about was effort, saying if I tried harder I could be an A+ student, but by barely trying I was still a B+ student and got to have fun in the after school hours.
              man that's exactly what they always say to me to. but i'm more of a c or d student because i don't really do crap. but nobody has ever accused me of not knowing the material. what i don't get is why am i graded on the dumb boring work when i should be graded on what i know.
              the space that is mine

We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

Comment

Ahhhh, learning by osmosis, I remember it well.

Straight A student here, with little or no effort(photographic memory helps). Only class I did badly in was Maths(the teacher was so awful I learnt nothing), so my mother wouldn't let me go to a concert.

I went and bought every Maths study aide, and got an A- for Maths that year(who needs a fricking teacher).
                President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
                I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan
                  --- My question for you to consider is:

--- Do you think incentive programs for students is healthy in the long run.
                  No. This breeds people who only work for reward, not for the joy of working, or at the very least, the joy of doing a job right.

--- When these students are out of school, and in the day to day work force, are they going to expect recognition for doing their jobs properly ?Yes they do. The problem is, most of them aren't going to get it. They will be desiring outward reward instead of reward from within. This is why so many Americans HATE their jobs.

--- Are they going to expect rewards from their employers ?Yes. But those expectations will lead to bitterness towards bosses and companys if not met.

--- Do you students currently get rewards for grades ?Mine get rewarded for doing extra work, showing up everyday, and staying in line. I don't like the last two, because that is what is expected of them in the first place, but it is what our society has become. Used to be you did what you were supposed to out of respect and duty, but alot of times in today's world, as with most morals, these values are not taught in the home. In fact, many times it is taught that if you have these values, you are a sucker.

--- Do you parents reward your children ?I don't have kids, for I am not married. But, as a teacher, I have learned a few things. And I have decided, my kids reward for working hard will be the fact that they have a roof over their heads, clothes on their backs, and food in their bellies. Anything above that is a privelege, and like all priveleges, can be taken away.

--- What point of view do you teachers have on this topic ?You have read my point of view.

--- Thanks, az
                  Your welcome.

Diesel51

Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
                  Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
                  Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

Comment

As a teacher I see both sides to the argument. I agree it's the student's job but I see where this argument can be used both ways. I think in the end it's OK to reward for good grades (like buy a new PlayStation game or something once in awhile) but not too extravagently (sp?). I happen to work in the inner city in a pretty poor area so it's not too much of an issue at my school.

Comment

great post az!!!

and like kap and elway...

i always have been an A to B student my whole life...

have i ever finished an assignment or studied for an exam earlier than the night before??

not since year 8...

i have always been the talker in class...

i can talk.. not turn up to class (cos im a bit of a rebge who like to have a good time over reading books) and i still get great grades!!!

osmosis only refers to water...

so id say that i learn of diffusion!!!

ill read something once... and ill understand it...

now im at university..

and for last semester... i studied for every exam the night before by reading chapter summaries... and thats from books that i borrowed like 2 days before that...

i dont have a photo memory...

but i just get how and why things are...

so life is easy...

and ive never been rewarded in my life...

but i went to a great and the second most expensive school in my nation... and there were many people there who were covered in money...

their parents offered cars, overseas trips...

and suprisingly enough i really noticed that it generally worked...

but long term...

well thats a very different story...

because many of them will never have much good fortune in life.. simply because they will not see enough material motivation form their jobs...

and they havent worked in a day in their lives...

so people like that will most likely not like work anyway...

but who cares.. their parents will give them some more money...

sigpic

Comment

Free cash for me! Getting A's is easy for me. I had ALL A+'s last year in every quarter. A few A's but no less than an A.
                        MMA News
                        MMA News 247

Comment

Throughout most my childhood i was the best student of my 3 siblings.
                          I usually got a good job and keep it up when I brought home a good report card.
                          At the end of the year if all 4 of my report cards were good, I would get a gift, but something like a video game. I dont' think there's anything wrong with spending 50 dollars on a reward for 8 months of hard work.

Just like everything else, there should be limits.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Good grades aren't an accomplishment.

Bad grades are a failure.

Therefore, don't reward for what is expected.

Punish what is not tolerated.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                            You should check these guys out

Comment

I see some people give cars and gifts to their children when they bring a B to their households. To me, a B is average, not good enough, I dont like getting less than an A. My family has high expectations for me, and bringing less than that is never good enough.

I really didnt get many rewards by my grades, I finished high school with a 4.1, and now I hate getting B's at all. My family cannot force me to study more, I do it for myself, and I think everyone should. A lot of adults regret not having studied harder in school and getting good grades, I heard a lot of people telling me that. Rewards are not always good, but they should be given once in a while. Praising kids and telling them that you know they are that good should be enough though

:salute:

Comment

Working...
                              X