X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bryant Gumbel disses Gene Upshaw

Not sure where this goes.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14454242/

It's one thing to critcize someone's performance, but to liken him to an animal kept on a leash and saying he is incompetent, especially since both the owners and unions agree that the union got far more than expected, is basless, and a very personal attack. You don't call a man "a pet" and claim that it is simply reporting what you see.

So, what are the chances on Gumbel getting fired and then suing? I'm thinking pretty damn good.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
    You should check these guys out

Originally posted by Jared
    Not sure where this goes.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14454242/

It's one thing to critcize someone's performance, but to liken him to an animal kept on a leash and saying he is incompetent, especially since both the owners and unions agree that the union got far more than expected, is basless, and a very personal attack. You don't call a man "a pet" and claim that it is simply reporting what you see.

So, what are the chances on Gumbel getting fired and then suing? I'm thinking pretty damn good.
    He lost all credibility after he made his "lack of black athletes" comments during the Olympics.

Comment

The guy was out-of-line with his comments on the Olympics.

Now he is out-of-line with comments on the NFL.

I want him gone......period.......his credibility is zero with me.

Comment

Hey, He has the First Amendment to his side. He has a right to say what he wants because it is his television show and he has the right to say those comments. If you dont like those comments, ignore him and move on. Alright.
        sigpic

Comment

He was a mistake by NFL Network to start with, considering his stupid remarks about black athletes during the Olympics.

I commented at the time (on these boards) that he would do something stupid like that again.

He likes playing the race card, alot like McNabb did last year with his "black on black crime" remark after the TO problem.

Anyways, NFL should fire him. He's a jerk, who has nothing to contribute.

I would say that even this episode was an attempt to feed his massive ego.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CB Bronco Fan
            Hey, He has the First Amendment to his side. He has a right to say what he wants because it is his television show and he has the right to say those comments. If you dont like those comments, ignore him and move on. Alright.
            I agree. Unfortunatly for Mr. Gumbel, 1st amendment or not, you make comments like that about the way your employer runs his show and you're getting canned.

Comment

The question isn't whether he has the right to say it, but whether it makes him a moron who will end up getting fired because of it.
              Last edited by Jared; 08-22-2006, 06:06 AM.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
              You should check these guys out

Comment

While it is called his show, the network owns his show. Like any workplace, the first amendment doesnt protect you from bashing your company or other under your company's name.

Now if he owned the network, he could say anything! but that could lower ratings, so thats not a good idea.

I'm not sure if he should be fired, but hes pushing it.

Comment

Smith's reaction

Thought I'd add this to the thread... :paper:

Broncos' player rep disappointed in Gumbel's comments
                  By Bill Williamson
                  Denver Post Staff Writer

Rod Smith, above, says the HBO commentary was wrong for targeting Upshaw and his role with Tagliabue. (Post file)

Count Rod Smith among the growing list of NFL employees who are upset with Bryant Gumbel.

Thursday, the Broncos receiver - and player representative for the NFL Players Association - said he was "disappointed" with Gumbel after derogatory comments the broadcaster made about NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw.

Gumbel, who is scheduled to broadcast games on the NFL Network this season, suggested in a commentary on his "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" show on HBO that outgoing commissioner Paul Tagliabue had the union head on a "leash" and that Upshaw was Tagliabue's "personal pet."

Tagliabue and Upshaw have worked together closely and were crucial players on the new collective bargaining agreement the league and players agreed to in March.

Smith said he read the comments and was stunned.

"I was disappointed...it was out of the blue," Smith said Thursday. "I sit in the meetings with Gene. I know

what he's about. (Gumbel) was talking about two (Tagliabue and Upshaw) guys who are two of the main components in our game. I don't think he knows what he was talking about. It's too bad."
                  Several NFL employees have criticized Gumbel for his comments. Tagliabue also took exception to Gumbel's words.

Smith said he wonders whether Gumbel will join a long list of high-profile professionals whose careers are jeopardized by public comments.

"He said it and now he has to deal with it," Smith said.
                  Go Broncos, make me keep believing this year

Comment

Working...
                  X