X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• y2cragie
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheerful
    Thats terrible. atleast we know it wasn't terrorist caused. That might sound bad, but it sounds like if they took off from the wrong runway, thats the pilot and the towers error and any terrorist speculation can be put to rest.

As it stands this is entirely pilot error.
    The tower had reportedly cleared the flight for a runway 22 departure. Some have speculated there was early morning fog which is possible in the area apparently with humidity being as it is. As you say TN the runways are in an identical line for the starting point, when you add in early morning wake up fatigue and possible fog and low light it could have all been factors.
    While it is great news the co-pilot survived, what I hope is that the man is left to recover and is not hounded by the media, the families of the victims and the NTSB. as the sole surviving crew member its worrying that he could be made the scape goat and punished for what appears a crew error. This would be innapropriate as the captain is the man who gives all the final good to go commands. But again its all speculation.

Leave a comment:

• tnedator
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheerful
    Thats terrible. atleast we know it wasn't terrorist caused. That might sound bad, but it sounds like if they took off from the wrong runway, thats the pilot and the towers error and any terrorist speculation can be put to rest.

Yea, the articles I read all pointed that out, since many people immeadiately wonder.

What I didn't realize is that there haven't been any major airline crashes in the US since the Airbus went down in Queens in '01 or '02. The longest stretch of accident free commercial aviation in US history.

Leave a comment:

• Cheerful
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tnedator
    replied
    Originally posted by y2cragie
    latest is, the plane took off from the wrong runway, and basically ran out of room.
    Yea, it sounds like it didn't have enough runway to get in the air, and as a result crashed through a fence at through a field and into some trees a mile away. Pretty bad mental error on the pilots part. It sounds like the runway is similar to a setup around here, where the long commercial runway and shorter general aviation runway start from the same point (same taxiway) and diverge like a V. The pilot appears to have gone down the 3500 foot general aviation runway.

Sad part, is it sounds like most or all of the people were going to have been killed by fire. It is bad when anyone dies in an accident, but if it happened to me, I would rather have a fast crash, then be engulfed in fire.

Leave a comment:

• y2cragie
    replied
    latest is, the plane took off from the wrong runway, and basically ran out of room.

Leave a comment:

• y2cragie
    started a topic Comair flight down in Kentucky

Comair flight down in Kentucky

50 passengers and crew have reportedly died in the crash, 1 survivor has been taken to the hospital in critical condition. I cant speculate as to the reason behind this, but it happend immediatly following take off. I will post a link shortly.
    My sympathies to the families.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5290760.stm
Working...
X