Car Problems / Why I Hate My City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Problems / Why I Hate My City

So i get out of school and walk to my truck, which is parked in the school aprking lot next to the ROTC building, right in the middle of campus. I start it up and it makes this horrendous noise like a vehicle where someone has removed the muffler. And it sounded like it was coming from directly under me. Confused, i do the normal motions of a guy who knows little about cars. I pop the hood, check the oil and fluid levels, all of that nonsense. I know i couldnt have hit a pothole or bottomed out somewhere because it was running smoothly when i got to school. What is the problem here?

So I crawl under the truck to take a look around, and i notice something missing. Namely, a large section of my exhaust pipe and my catalytic converter. The ends of the exhaust pipe show clear signs of a hacksaw. So while we are in school, someone crawled under my truck on campus in the middle of the parking lot with a HACKSAW and removes my catalytic converter. What the hell? Only in Memphis... :usa:
    Superintendent Chalmers: "Thank the Lord"? That sounded like a prayer. A prayer in a public school. God has no place within these walls, just like facts don't have a place within an organized religion."

Originally posted by chickennob2
    So i get out of school and walk to my truck, which is parked in the school aprking lot next to the ROTC building, right in the middle of campus. I start it up and it makes this horrendous noise like a vehicle where someone has removed the muffler. And it sounded like it was coming from directly under me. Confused, i do the normal motions of a guy who knows little about cars. I pop the hood, check the oil and fluid levels, all of that nonsense. I know i couldnt have hit a pothole or bottomed out somewhere because it was running smoothly when i got to school. What is the problem here?

So I crawl under the truck to take a look around, and i notice something missing. Namely, a large section of my exhaust pipe and my catalytic converter. The ends of the exhaust pipe show clear signs of a hacksaw. So while we are in school, someone crawled under my truck on campus in the middle of the parking lot with a HACKSAW and removes my catalytic converter. What the hell? Only in Memphis... :usa:
    That sucks man. How much do you think its gonna cost to get it replaced?

Comment

If you find the thief you should hacksaw something of his while he's sleeping :hammer:

Comment

bummer...

but brownie points to the person who did it...

cos sure its evil and makes your life a little worse...

but thats bold and inovative!!!

:clap:

well i hope you get it fixed alright...

and dont go around campus shooting people for this...

sigpic

Comment

It looks like anywhere from about 100 up to 300 for the part, but with the labor and having to replace the entirety of my exhaust pipe and the tow, its probably going to run in the neighborhood of $500.
          Superintendent Chalmers: "Thank the Lord"? That sounded like a prayer. A prayer in a public school. God has no place within these walls, just like facts don't have a place within an organized religion."

Comment

It looks like anywhere from about 100 up to 300 for the part, but with the labor and having to replace the entirety of my exhaust pipe and the tow, its probably going to run in the neighborhood of $500.
            Yep you def. have to cut off his Johnson now. :hammer:

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx
              Yep you def. have to cut off his Johnson now. :hammer:
              There actually was a greasy handprint on the door panel that the cops printed, so maybe....

Comment

1st what kind of truck?

New? Old?

There is no way it should cost anything close to that for a cat and some exhaust pipe.

You can get a new Borla stainless cat-back for $600... Whoever told you that price is full of crap.

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanCam
                  1st what kind of truck?

New? Old?

There is no way it should cost anything close to that for a cat and some exhaust pipe.

You can get a new Borla stainless cat-back for $600... Whoever told you that price is full of crap.
                  98 Nissan Frontier. Autozone had it listed at something like 145. But if i take it to the Nissan dealerhsip to get the work done (dont have the time, tools, or technical experience to do it myself) there will be a markup, plus the price of the work. My dad wont let me drive it in this condition, so we'll have to get a tow on it. So youre right, probably less than that, but not substantially less.

Comment

98 Nissan Frontier. Autozone had it listed at something like 145. But if i take it to the Nissan dealerhsip to get the work done (dont have the time, tools, or technical experience to do it myself) there will be a markup, plus the price of the work. My dad wont let me drive it in this condition, so we'll have to get a tow on it. So youre right, probably less than that, but not substantially less.
                    Umm yes, substantially less...

Never take it to the dealer first of all. Not for something as minor as this.

Catalytic Converter - $63
                    http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...+115&x=51&y=13

Exhaust Pipe: 2.5" - 4", $16 per 4FT.
                    http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294859313

Exhaust Clamps: $9 (So you don't have to weld it.)
                    http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294919985

Grand total $88

(tools needed, sockets, and a hacksaw)

I don't see why he wouldn't let you drive it, it isn't dangerous, at least to get you home. It's not the best for the environment, or the health of everyone around you's ears, but it's not like it's going to explode.

If you don't want to mess with it, at least go to some hole in the wall exhaust shop, they will still be FAR less than the stupid dealer.

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

If you'd like, I'll peruse the parking lot at my office & see if there's a 98 Nissan Frontier. If I find one, I'll hacksaw the muffler & cat converter off & send them to you. Hopefully the car will belong to one of the schmoes in Accounting.

Comment

Or you can not pay for one and go the cheap route. Buy a hacksaw and go to town on someone elses truck in the parking lot. Maybe it will become a trend and everyone in the lot will just switch pipes.

Comment

Man, that is some ghetto-ass ****

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Yeah dude, only in Memphis...that's pretty ghetto. Hopefully you can get it fixed for a lot cheaper than $500. If I was there I'd fix it for ya for super cheap. I'd weld it too...exhaust clamps are teh crap.
                            Originally posted by Soldier96B
                            i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

Working...
                            X