• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archimedes Owl
    replied
    Originally posted by dontfeedthenerd
    Actually, I would prefer your system.

The way the university hires, they hire based on research. But, a proff could be completely brilliant, yet suck as a teacher.
    Yeah, teaching isn't just dependent on knowing the material. In fact, a lot of the more intelligent professors have trouble relating to people who don't pick it up naturally and have a hard time deciding where to go into greater depth and where to offer further explanation. In short, they just have no idea what will hang a student up.

And yeah, even in a lot of smaller colleges, research is a big deal.

I hope that you enjoy being a TA. The TAs at my university always were also the graders, but ran things like labs and tutoring sessions and the like.

*Robot House!!!!*

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied

The way the university hires, they hire based on research. But, a proff could be completely brilliant, yet suck as a teacher.

True.

I hadn't thought of that.

But having the opportunity to do research would have been nice.

Maybe undergrad at a liberal arts and doing graduate and doctorate work at a research based school is the way to go if I go for any more advanced degrees.

Leave a comment:

• dontfeedthenerd
    replied
    Originally posted by Jared
    I guess major universities are different.

At the smaller liberal arts colleges, like my alma mater, teaching is all they do.

Not a better system, just sounds way different.

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    They still do office hours, we just hold extra ones. They give the lectures. They make the tests, lay out the course structure.

Most proffs at Berkeley are there because of research, not to teach. Research brings in money to the University, not teaching.

I guess major universities are different.

At the smaller liberal arts colleges, like my alma mater, teaching is all they do.

Not a better system, just sounds way different.

Leave a comment:

• dontfeedthenerd
    replied
    Originally posted by Jared
    So, wait, you are doing all the stuff my profs did in college.

So what work exactly do the profs do at Berkeley, since it seems that grading, labs, and office hours are farmed out.
    They still do office hours, we just hold extra ones. They give the lectures. They make the tests, lay out the course structure.

Most proffs at Berkeley are there because of research, not to teach. Research brings in money to the University, not teaching.

Leave a comment:

• Nick
    replied
    I am now a Teaching Assistant for a class here at Berkeley.

Start pitying my students.
    congrats (assuming its a raise)

I am here in pleasanton "neighbor"

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    I'm a TA... which means I run the labs and hold office hours to help students w/ their hwk and labs. i won't be grading homeworks, that's for the graders to do, but I'll be grading and proctoring the tests.

It's cool, I like to think I'm a nice guy who nows my stuff.

It'll be an interesting experience, because the people i'm TAing are usually around my age.

I'm getting paid.. I think it's something like $21 an hour b4 taxes, and i'll be billing around 10 hours a week. It's a good way to buff up my resume, get some experience, get some cash, and have some fun.

So, wait, you are doing all the stuff my profs did in college.

So what work exactly do the profs do at Berkeley, since it seems that grading, labs, and office hours are farmed out.

Leave a comment:

• dontfeedthenerd
    replied
    I'm a TA... which means I run the labs and hold office hours to help students w/ their hwk and labs. i won't be grading homeworks, that's for the graders to do, but I'll be grading and proctoring the tests.

It's cool, I like to think I'm a nice guy who nows my stuff.

It'll be an interesting experience, because the people i'm TAing are usually around my age.

I'm getting paid.. I think it's something like $21 an hour b4 taxes, and i'll be billing around 10 hours a week. It's a good way to buff up my resume, get some experience, get some cash, and have some fun.

Leave a comment:

• BayAreaBronco
    replied
    What's your name and for what teacher/course? HAHA. I'll tell my friends to stay away.

Leave a comment:

• anton1287
    replied
    Originally posted by DawgFanatic
    im actually thinking about going there.....hmm
    btw, goodjob and goodluck on that
    yes...

luck...

IS

good...

Leave a comment:

• cinnamunmun
    replied
    Im with TDK on the TnA

but I don't pity your students, the TAs usually dont have to be the guy/gal who hands out dicipline or the smack down.

Unless of course you have no clue about the subject you are TA-ing!

I just wish I could have got into Berkely

Leave a comment:

• DawgFanatic
    replied
    I am now a Teaching Assistant for a class here at Berkeley.

Start pitying my students.
    im actually thinking about going there.....hmm
    btw, goodjob and goodluck on that

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    What is a Teaching Assistant?

Doesn't the prof teach? Why does he/she need an assiatant?

Are you faculty? DO you get paid? Are you like a player/coach?

Leave a comment:

• KCLadyFan
    replied
    Originally posted by The Dark Knight
    I love T-n-A

:usa:

:offtopic: oh wait....what are you referring to DK....

BTW-Good Luck with that TA job....

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Knight
    replied
    I love T-n-A

:usa:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X