How consumed are you by work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How consumed are you by work?

I was wondering if there is or has been a time in anyone's life here when you became a workaholic?

This is the reason I'm asking.

You see, I think that when a family member or your spouse's close family member is undergoing surgery....and your spouse really needs you there for moral support.
    Let's say you are on salary and it's only two hours until you go home anyways.
    Would you leave? Would you stay?

I'm wondering how to handle this situation at home with my husband.
    He won't take off work unless it's good for HIM to do it. I needed him yesterday & he wouldn't budge. It's not like he's a doctor or anything (if he were I'd be a lot more comfortable).

And should I go off?
    Should I stay quiet?

What do you guys think?

And please don't let this post slip down the line.
    It's a serious question.
    COPYWRITED MATERIAL Copyright © 1975 by Dr Velcro

I have never been a work-a-holic, but I reallu should work harder

I really don't know the circumstances, like my dad sometimes can't take off work because his job is understaffed and the sick days rules have been changed.

but when my mom was in the hospital or had surgury, he was there no matter what, except for the occasional time when I was there.

It is nice to have people with you after such things. I wouldn't blow up on him, but maybe bring it up?

Comment

*tightening his serious pants*

well...

i think there is no need for you to have a go at him...

it wont achieve anyting...

and i think by posting this you already figured that out...

but then again you shouldnt let it slip and slide...

simply because it will never change...

so i think a simple...

"you know... i really neede you the other day for such and such... and i felt really lost and unsupported without you...

bla bla... (you can say things here of choice)

well i love you and i want to hold you when i jump for joy and hold on to you when im about to cry....

i really would love if you could try to help me the next time i really need you..."

and thats my 2 cents...

good luck sexy las...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fred the Bunny
        I was wondering if there is or has been a time in anyone's life here when you became a workaholic?

You see, I think that when a family member or your spouse's close family member is undergoing surgery....and your spouse really needs you there for moral support.

He won't take off work unless it's good for HIM to do it. I needed him yesterday & he wouldn't budge. It's not like he's a doctor or anything (if he were I'd be a lot more comfortable).

And should I go off?
        Should I stay quiet?

What do you guys think?

It's a serious question.
        I wouldn't go off on him. But I would let him know that he has disappointed you and has hurt your feelings. Perhaps he simply doesn't realize what you are thinking. Let him know how you feel.

I would certainly do whatever was required to be with my wife. Even if it meant leave without pay. Family first, work second.
        Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

Originally posted by LDB
          Family first, work second.
          i looove you!!!

i wish you were my papa...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fred the Bunny

And should I go off?
            Should I stay quiet?

What do you guys think?

It's a serious question.
            Well, I guess my answer to your question would depend on your answer to this question:

By taking time off of work without much notice, would your husband's job be in jeopardy? If so, then I think he was trying to look out for your family.

If not, then I think you need to sit him down and calmly explain to him why his unwillingness to be there for you is bothering you, and what you would expect from him should a similar situation arise again. It sounds simple, but communication is tough some times.
            HEAR ME ROAR!
            sigpic
            Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Call him on it. But not as if he's doing something wrong.

Ask him about coming home from work early to spend time with you. But also understand the other side of the story. I as everyone else on here has noticed with work that others (boss) will stock pile you with more work then you are really sopose to have. So handling your work within hours is tough especially leaveing that work unfinished. Keeping yourself organized and on task is hard when your doing work that is important to your income.

I hope things work out for you. I havent been through anything like this, so I will be interested how it turns out for you.

Comment

just give me his number...

anton will sort this out in a jiffy!!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Adrenaline
                  Call him on it. But not as if he's doing something wrong.

Ask him about coming home from work early to spend time with you. But also understand the other side of the story. I as everyone else on here has noticed with work that others (boss) will stock pile you with more work then you are really sopose to have. So handling your work within hours is tough especially leaveing that work unfinished. Keeping yourself organized and on task is hard when your doing work that is important to your income.

I hope things work out for you. I havent been through anything like this, so I will be interested how it turns out for you.
                  too much work and spending several hours a day on here doesnt help...

but it helps me sleep...

anton getting tired...

sigpic

Comment

I worked every day from 18 June to 06 July on 12 hour shifts...not willingly though.
                    Originally posted by Soldier96B
                    i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

Originally posted by SeeingRed
                      I worked every day from 18 June to 06 July on 12 hour shifts...not willingly though.
                      i ate a whole 1 kilogram jar of pickles once...

and i threw up...

yet im not bragging...

or am i...??

my own mysteriousness will be the end of me...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by anton1287
                        i ate a whole 1 kilogram jar of pickles once...

and i threw up...

yet im not bragging...

or am i...??

my own mysteriousness will be the end of me...

You crack me up...

Pickles aren't my friend...don't like 'em at all.
                        Originally posted by Soldier96B
                        i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

Originally posted by SeeingRed
                          You crack me up...

Pickles aren't my friend...don't like 'em at all.
                          gas huh...

yeah.. i like them...

i nice pickle sandwich...

and pickles on hotdogs and burgers ROCKS!!!

:dance:<<< YES YES YES!!!

sigpic

Comment

He's not going to move on this subject.
                            He's got great bosses that would allow for him to do these things when need be.

He won't go to the dentist, the doctor or anything that has anything to do with our son or me. It says something that his (and my) best friend went with me last night & my other best friend picked my son up from school yesterday so I could go.

Just madder than usual about this and I'm going to sit on it for awhile longer before I say anything even if I do. I hate bickering and fighting.
                            COPYWRITED MATERIAL Copyright © 1975 by Dr Velcro

Comment

As most have already stated, I wouldn’t blow up on him as that could only make matters worse. Instead of being receptive of what you have to say, he could just get angry and for sure not give you what you long for. When you do bring the situation up to him, (and you should) take the lighter approach but don’t be passive (backing down too quickly won't help at all). Let him know how serious this is and that you yourself are serious about it as well. Be confident in what you have to say, but try to stay away from being offensive. If things do get heated, let him know that you didn’t sit him to down argue or fight. You simply want to express your concern to him with hopes of getting positive results.

Really, you do need to let him know. Otherwise things won't change.

I hope things get better. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X