Helmets work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmets work

Yep, Al, you got your wish. I dropped my Harley.

BUT, unlike a certain NFL quarterback who shall remain nameless, I am smart enough to wear a helmet. I emerged almost unscathed, although my shoulder is tweaked pretty good.

No road rash (I wear jeans, a leather jacket, over the ankle boots, gloves, ballistic goggles, and a helmet), no broken bones, and minimal damage to the bike.

I bent my handlebars, scratched my front brake lever and master cylinder, broke the right side mirror off, and scratched the right side peg. That's it. So, all in all, it will probably cost me less than 200$ to get fixed.

The important thing is I am relatively unscathed. So, here's what happened.

First, New Orleans roads are known to be atrocious, especially since they were almost all under a LOT of water recently. I was heading to Southport Hall to talk to the owner and a band that we're playing a Breast Cancer benefit concert with later this month. For some reason I decided to take River Road instead of the interstate, ride along the Mississippi, nice little ride.

Well, there is a particular intersection that i've never been on before, as i've never driven this way from my new house. The road I was on (Leake Ave) runs almost parallel to river road, then takes a hard right to intersect it. Well, I knew there was a stop sign at the intersection so I was slowing. It is a blind corner with bushes along the right hand side of the road. Some train tracks also run across the road there, but not perpindicular, they actually run in the street for about 3/4 of a block. As I came around the corner it was not only filled with loose rocks but HUGE potholes parallel with the train tracks. Well, I slid a bit in the gravel, caught my front tire in a pothole, and had the handlebars literally yanked out of my hands. As the bike fell I tumbled once came up on my feet and basically
    "ran" about five steps running into the side of a house.

All in all, I got lucky. I'm not seriously injured, i'll have my bike fixed before the Cancer Benefit show, and will ride to it. As I go there I am going to go on that street again and flip the potholes off on my way by!

Al Davis leads yet another squad to the brink of mediocrity.

Code Of Conduct
    ARTICLE VI: I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States Of America.

Glad that you're not too hurt at all, just be careful.

Have a good time at the cancer benefit.

Note to Big Ben:

See what happens when you are smart?
    sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
    Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

davii....sorry about your accident....glad it won't cost you too awful much to repair your bike but most of all....glad you are okay... :thumb:

also thanks for the benefit concert your doing....thats great!!! :dance:
      Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

HOLY!! Happy you are safe....see what happens when we don't talk for awhile!! j/k...try the road in the daytime so you can see what happened. And definately get in touch with that railroad you mentioned in the pm!
        Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

--- Good to know you are OK Gunny !!!

--- --- --- ---

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
          The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
          http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
          My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

We just had a motorcycle accident victim come into the hospital last night.

There were two; a male and female. She was riding on the back and a semi pulled out in front of him. (His story)

He could not avoid it and he hit the vehicle.

Both were thrown from the bike, but he escaped without being injured. Just minor cuts and bruises.

Unfortuantly, she wasn't so lucky she was killed from the accident due to head and spinal cord injuries.

Wear your helmets folks, even if your riding on back.

Or better yet, don't ride on a motorcycle.
            There's safer ways to get from here to there.

Comment

wow davii...

finally i have a use for this smiley..

:brick: << cos you did just that against a house...

im really glad you are alright man...

good to see you not only being safe but not being a pansy and getting back on the bike quick sticks....

cos those stick are ooooh so quick!!!

hope you bruises heal up fast and you give those pot holes hell from anton... the thunder down under...

sigpic

Comment

Glad to hear your ok man

:salute:

sig by Broncofancam may he REST IN PEACE

Thanks for the sig VULCAN
                R.I.P. Darrent :salute:R.I.P. Damien

Comment

Originally posted by Davii
                  Yep, Al, you got your wish. I dropped my Harley.

BUT, unlike a certain NFL quarterback who shall remain nameless, I am smart enough to wear a helmet. I emerged almost unscathed, although my shoulder is tweaked pretty good.

No road rash (I wear jeans, a leather jacket, over the ankle boots, gloves, ballistic goggles, and a helmet), no broken bones, and minimal damage to the bike.

I bent my handlebars, scratched my front brake lever and master cylinder, broke the right side mirror off, and scratched the right side peg. That's it. So, all in all, it will probably cost me less than 200$ to get fixed.

The important thing is I am relatively unscathed. So, here's what happened.

First, New Orleans roads are known to be atrocious, especially since they were almost all under a LOT of water recently. I was heading to Southport Hall to talk to the owner and a band that we're playing a Breast Cancer benefit concert with later this month. For some reason I decided to take River Road instead of the interstate, ride along the Mississippi, nice little ride.

Well, there is a particular intersection that i've never been on before, as i've never driven this way from my new house. The road I was on (Leake Ave) runs almost parallel to river road, then takes a hard right to intersect it. Well, I knew there was a stop sign at the intersection so I was slowing. It is a blind corner with bushes along the right hand side of the road. Some train tracks also run across the road there, but not perpindicular, they actually run in the street for about 3/4 of a block. As I came around the corner it was not only filled with loose rocks but HUGE potholes parallel with the train tracks. Well, I slid a bit in the gravel, caught my front tire in a pothole, and had the handlebars literally yanked out of my hands. As the bike fell I tumbled once came up on my feet and basically
                  "ran" about five steps running into the side of a house.

All in all, I got lucky. I'm not seriously injured, i'll have my bike fixed before the Cancer Benefit show, and will ride to it. As I go there I am going to go on that street again and flip the potholes off on my way by!
                  Glad to see your ok. I always wanted to get one of those sporty bikes but was always to afraid to because of falling off. I know people that got won and they love riding around. I guess I won't be getting one until I can get over this fear.
                  President Cool

Comment

Originally posted by hilife
                    Glad to see your ok. I always wanted to get one of those sporty bikes but was always to afraid to because of falling off. I know people that got won and they love riding around. I guess I won't be getting one until I can get over this fear.
                    Not just the Sportbikes are dangerous. I ride a Harley. Any bike is inherently dangerous, but it's a risk you either accept, or not. If you decide to accept the risk don't learn how to ride from your buddies, or yourself, take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Class and learn the proper way to ride and avoid dangerous situations.

On the story of the unfortunate young woman that was killed in the accident. There is no such thing as an accident. Everything is avoidable. Either the truck should've paid more attention, or, he should've paid more attention to the trucker.

In my cae, 100% completely my fault, whether the railroad is deficient in keeping the streets around their tracks safe or not. The factors that cause me to drop my bike were:

1) not knowing the road I was riding on
                    2) blind curve while stopping for a stop sign
                    3) loose gravel causing loss of traction
                    4) railroad tracks
                    5) 11" deep potholes (I went and measured yesterday)

Had I known the road, I would've been on the left side of the tracks, avoiding the potholes, gravel and railroad tracks. It was certainly avoidable, if you know the road is in that shape. After talking to the dealeship about the new parts I need I found out there are CURRENTLY five bikes in the shop that were dropped on that exact same corner.

Al Davis leads yet another squad to the brink of mediocrity.

Code Of Conduct
                    ARTICLE VI: I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States Of America.

Comment

I really only take my helmet off to take a shower.
                      COPYWRITED MATERIAL Copyright © 1975 by Dr Velcro

Comment

Working...
                      X