Anyone recommend any books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone recommend any books?

Hey I am just about finished with FATHERLAND by Robert Harris (alt.-history). Before that I read HOUSE OF LEAVES by Mark Z. Danielewski (weird, creepy book).

I need a new book to read. Any recommendations?

Originally posted by sneakers
    Hey I am just about finished with FATHERLAND by Robert Harris (alt.-history). Before that I read HOUSE OF LEAVES by Mark Z. Danielewski (weird, creepy book).

I need a new book to read. Any recommendations?
    the life of andy d ick...

:thumb:

sigpic

Comment

I loved House of Leaves. The writing itself wasn't exemplary but the concept was stupdendous!
      Victory and defeat are matters of the temporary force of circumstance.

Thanks, Snk16!!

Comment

Book Club Linky

A while back I started this thread for those of us wanting to share our literary experiences.

Hope it helps
        President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
        I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin.

It's high fantasy, but probably unlike any fantasy you have (or haven't) read. My non-fantasy reading friends absolutely loved it and have continued on with the series. Extremely well-written, gripping. A must read IMO.
          Winter is Coming!

Comment

I recently finished reading Angels and Demons, the prequal to The DaVinci Code. Great book, excellently written, very addictive. It took me 4 days to finish.
            Originally posted by Soldier96B
            i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

Right now I'm reading "Battle Royale" by Koushun Takami. I've been busy at work so I haven't been able to get into it as much as I would like but so far it is pretty cool. The translation is really smooth (If you have ever read a book translated from a foreign language you know how frustrating that can be :brick: )

It is set in Japan and once a year they select one junior high school class, drop them off in a remote location and leave them there until all but one is dead. The "winner" gets a government stipend for the rest of their life. The best part so far is how much detail he uses in developing the characters. I'll update this upon finishing to let y'all know what I think.
              I'll duel you left-handed

"I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women: suddenly, inexplicably, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain or disruption it would bring with it" - Nick Hornby from Fever Pitch

Comment

the art of war is a good read apparently...

i dont know from any personal experiences having not read since prep school...

but i hear good things...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan
                  A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin.

It's high fantasy, but probably unlike any fantasy you have (or haven't) read. My non-fantasy reading friends absolutely loved it and have continued on with the series. Extremely well-written, gripping. A must read IMO.
                  This is a good book and a good series. I only wish that he would write a little quicker. Getting the next book out never seems to be a priority with him and it gets frustrating.
                  Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

Originally posted by LDB
                    This is a good book and a good series. I only wish that he would write a little quicker. Getting the next book out never seems to be a priority with him and it gets frustrating.
                    I hear ya, LDB!!! We're always waiting - it seems, but the wait is usually worth it. I wasn't too impressed with Feast, especially following the powerhouse that is A Storm of Swords, but I kind of expected a "set-up" book there too.

Regardless, A Dance With Dragons should be spectacular, and I'm willing to wait a little longer knowing that he's taking his time to get it exactly right.

It's still painful waiting though knowing that he does so much more than this series.

Winter IS Coming!!! :shake:

Winter is Coming!

Comment

My fiction loving roommate suggests the Aragon book series. and the Ender's Game series too.

Here are some books I read that I do NOT suggest:

Crime and Punishment, Fathers and Sons, East of Eden, and Age of Innocence.

They were all deep (except East of Eden kinda spoon fed you the deep meanings), but were either horribly confusing, or just not interesting reading.

I don't read much anymore though.

Comment

Where's Waldo. . .

I hear that series is pretty good!

Comment

Originally posted by Dream
                          Where's Waldo. . .

I hear that series is pretty good!

Looking back at Waldo's fashion sense, plus travelling across the world with a mountain of books, he was probably the biggest nerd ever!

Why was it soo addicting to try and find him?

Comment

1984, Catcher in the Rye, Flowers for Algernon.

Any H.P. Lovecraft-stuff to get an idea of how modern horror came to be.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
                            - Carl Sagan

Comment

Depends on what type of book you are looking to read.

For one of my history classes we had to read a Drama based around historical events. It was "Poison" by Kathryn Harrison. I was really impressed with the book. So if that is the type you are looking for I recommend it.

Now, if you are looking for a good book on life et cetera. Then I recommend 'Meditations' by Marcus Aurelius.
                              The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Working...
                              X