Anyone recommend any books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin.

It's high fantasy, but probably unlike any fantasy you have (or haven't) read. My non-fantasy reading friends absolutely loved it and have continued on with the series. Extremely well-written, gripping. A must read IMO.

Im actually a fantasy buff, but its mostly forgotten realms.. Ive been spoiled by it.

I also recommend simon R green's "the nightside" series. gritty, funny, well written... good stuff.

If you take what I have to say seriously, then I'm embarrassed for you.

Comment

If you like suspense, I highly recommed the novels written by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Their first book was Relic which is a far different, and better, beast than the movie that was ever so loosely based on it. In fact, the best character from the novel wasn't even in the movie and he's the main character for the majority of their books.

If you like fantasy, the books by Robin Hobb are excellent. The Assassin trilogy is the place to start. Runelords by David Farland is also very good but some people are uncomfortable with the magic involved.

If you like sci-fi, I also endorse Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card which somebody mentioned earlier. And the Honor Harrington series by David Weber are great reads. Dune by Frank Herbert is a classic.

Those are the first ones that come to mind.
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by anton1287
        the art of war is a good read apparently...

i dont know from any personal experiences having not read since prep school...

but i hear good things...

I remember in high school when it was uncool to enjoy any book that was assigned to you. But I loved "The Natural" By Malamud(???). It was great. Even more so when I had a teacher that really new the in's and out's of the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan
          A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin.

It's high fantasy, but probably unlike any fantasy you have (or haven't) read. My non-fantasy reading friends absolutely loved it and have continued on with the series. Extremely well-written, gripping. A must read IMO.

I don't like fantasy too much, but I will check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

"Fantasy versus Science fiction" as argued by T-Rex in my favorite online comic.

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
            If you like suspense, I highly recommed the novels written by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Their first book was Relic which is a far different, and better, beast than the movie that was ever so loosely based on it. In fact, the best character from the novel wasn't even in the movie and he's the main character for the majority of their books.

If you like fantasy, the books by Robin Hobb are excellent. The Assassin trilogy is the place to start. Runelords by David Farland is also very good but some people are uncomfortable with the magic involved.

If you like sci-fi, I also endorse Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card which somebody mentioned earlier. And the Honor Harrington series by David Weber are great reads. Dune by Frank Herbert is a classic.

Those are the first ones that come to mind.
            I loved David Weber when he wrote a novel for the Wing Commander series. I have heard nothing but good things about him.

Comment

If you like classics, anything Dostoyevsky will get your emotions whirling...
              Go Broncos, make me keep believing this year

Comment

Working...
              X