• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's Sick Sad World thread:

13-year-old fires AK-47 in school

Woman charged with using baby as weapon

Foley warned in 2000

Iraqis probe food poisoning of cops

With so many freaks in the world, what the hell is "normal," anyway?!

HEAR ME ROAR!
    sigpic
    Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals
    I am not so sure What I am sure about, is I will not be bringing a child into this world. I personally don't see why anyone would want to in this day and age.

Comment

Originally posted by LbloodOjunkieG
      I am not so sure What I am sure about, is I will not be bringing a child into this world. I personally don't see why anyone would want to in this day and age.
      Amen to that. Whenever I read stories like these, part of me wonders how much a vasectomy costs...

HEAR ME ROAR!
      sigpic

Comment

Wow..

I guess nothing is surprising anymore.

As bad as it is, I think most of this stuff is considered "normal" for this day an age. I mean you see these things on website headline articles everyday..
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LbloodOjunkieG
          Prior to the time of your birth, the world to people as a whole looked the same way, like the world was going to hell in a hand basket. Good thing your parents did not feel the same way you do.
          "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
            Wow..

As bad as it is, I think most of this stuff is considered "normal" for this day an age. I mean you see these things on website headline articles everyday..
            I think it's always been going on, but now we have 24-hour news!
            "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Comment

Originally posted by His Wife
              I think it's always been going on, but now we have 24-hour news!
              I say this as a journalism student:

24 hour news is probably one of the biggest contributors to the dumbing-down of our society.
              HEAR ME ROAR!
              sigpic

Comment

I say this as a journalism student:

24 hour news is probably one of the biggest contributors to the dumbing-down of our society.
                No, disagree. Actually, sounds like you've been brain washed by journalism school. What it is to me is that people are in shock, generally speaking, in this country....we've always been fairly well protected from societies of other countries and ignorant to boot. Now, with 24 hour news...I think you have your news junkies (i.e., me) and you have your people who can't handle it and put their heads in the sand (and I understand that compassionately so).

Oh and wait a minute....you also have the internet, so there is this flood of news.
                Most journalists find little interest in the positive news, but more in the shock and awe of something negative, bleak, horrifying.

Comment

No, disagree. Actually, sounds like you've been brain washed by journalism school. What it is to me is that people are in shock, generally speaking, in this country....we've always been fairly well protected from societies of other countries and ignorant to boot. Now, with 24 hour news...I think you have your news junkies (i.e., me) and you have your people who can't handle it and put their heads in the sand (and I understand that compassionately so).
                  Here's why I say this:

1. 24 hour news isn't about news. It's about ratings.
                  2. 24 hour news trains viewers to have a short attention span.
                  3. 24 hour news stories barely scrape the surface of a given story, and yet people who see these stories think they understand them.
                  4. 24 hour news lull viewers into a false sense of security, where they think they know everything that's going on, because they trust the news station/s of their choice.
                  5. 24 hour news too often blurs the line between fact and commentary.
                  24 hour news is awful.

People, READ YOUR NEWS. And read several sources.

HisWife, I'm sure you read the news as well as watch it, but there are people who aren't as smart as you out there who are so dumb, they don't even know that they're dumb.

Film at 11.
                  HEAR ME ROAR!
                  sigpic

Comment

Oh and wait a minute....you also have the internet, so there is this flood of news.
                    Most journalists find little interest in the positive news, but more in the shock and awe of something negative, bleak, horrifying.
                    You added this after I hit the reply button.

I think internet news is okay, as long as you can verify your sources. I read several news sources and several blogs every day, and if I find a story that interests me, I usually do my best to find at least two stories on the subject, if not more.

As far as the "negative, bleak, horrify" news goes, you're right. A lot of news is bad. But there's a method to how news is selected, and "positive news" tends to lack the impact on its viewership that stories about stuff blowing up and people dying does.
                    HEAR ME ROAR!
                    sigpic

Comment

one thing that is normal is the broncos will always beat up on the raiders,chefs and bolts.

but on topic- things are getting pretty shisky.

i have tried to convince some friends to buy some islands with me so we cqn live there and be away from it all, but so far it to no avail
                      So far:
                      FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                      1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
                        Wow..

There is so much "sicko" stuff and violence on tv programs, and movies, I wonder how many people view that stuff as "normal" now?

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

HisWife, I'm sure you read the news as well as watch it, but there are people who aren't as smart as you out there who are so dumb, they don't even know that they're dumb.
                          Film at 11.

How could I disagree with that?

Don't you just hate it when people take things out of context too?

Comment

I agree there are some "sickos" in this world but I think the real problem is that today's society dwells on the bad and ugly rather than the good and beautiful....

Sick and demented things have been happening for centuries, it just seems that in today's era, those things are focused on a hell of a lot more than good and wholesome things...For instance, ever notice the ratio of bad news to good news when watching your local news channel...I'm sure if they tried they could find quite a few good stories to report about, but that doesn't make for "good" news now does it..? Ironic.......

Another example: What kind of movie do you think an average teen would rather go watch, a horror movie with a sick, demented plot and lots of gore or a wholesome family movie.....?

BTW, I used to tell myself I would never want to bring kids into this world. I had a terrible outlook on life personally, formed by all the sad and sick stories I was hearing about constantly. Funny how my views changed once I stopped watching the news....

Comment

Originally posted by Reidman
                              I agree there are some "sickos" in this world but I think the real problem is that today's society dwells on the bad and ugly rather than the good and beautiful....

Sick and demented things have been happening for centuries, it just seems that in today's era, those things are focused on a hell of a lot more than good and wholesome things...For instance, ever notice the ratio of bad news to good news when watching your local news channel...I'm sure if they tried they could find quite a few good stories to report about, but that doesn't make for "good" news now does it..? Ironic.......

Another example: What kind of movie do you think an average teen would rather go watch, a horror movie with a sick, demented plot and lots of gore or a wholesome family movie.....?

BTW, I used to tell myself I would never want to bring kids into this world. I had a terrible outlook on life personally, formed by all the sad and sick stories I was hearing about constantly. Funny how my views changed once I stopped watching the news....
                              I totally agree. I think I heard once that, for whatever reason, the majority of people prefer hearing about the bad, rather than the good. I have no idea why that is. I love it when every once in a while, there is a good story on the local news. A couple years ago, I worked at a nursing home in the activities dept., and a couple of times a week, we would have what was called "current events". BOY, did I have a tough time going thru the newspaper to find some cute stories I could read to them. There was no way I was going to read the BAD stories to them.

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

Working...
                              X