Summit Held on School Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit Held on School Safety

Summits are being held re improving school safety across the country.

Fox News

cnn

Education Resource Center

The only way this will help to me? Is whatever the plans are...they can be implemented ASAP and not years down the road.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

How sad it has come to this, when you think about it.

Our biggest fear in school was the "big girl with the boy hair cut" would want to punch you. Never once did I hear of any weapons brought into my schools.

Comment

An absolute waste of time and money!

Just exactly how do they plan to PREVENT people from doing crazy things?

In a FREE society, we can only react to such incidents. We cannot prevent them.

Humans have a long way to go until we can really call ourselves civilized.........

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
        An absolute waste of time and money!

Just exactly how do they plan to PREVENT people from doing crazy things?

In a FREE society, we can only react to such incidents. We cannot prevent them.

Humans have a long way to go until we can really call ourselves civilized.........

I'm not willing to stake my kids lives on that statement. Certainly, when you think about every kid and every school in the country the school shooting are a tiny porportion of kids deaths, yet I dont want to be a grieving parent and be wondering over and over "If, if, if, if."

I want to know that people are prepared and ready.

Yet I want the police and the schools and the medical people prepped as much as possible so future incidents are prevented.

If we have marriage licenses and drivers licenses why cant we have parenting licenses? Far too many innocents kids are subjected to neglect and humiliation and abandonment, and their parents are absent and uncaring, which to me, is the real root of the problem. But this summitt is a great step forward.
        Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by SmithOverTO
          I'm not willing to stake my kids lives on that statement. Certainly, when you think about every kid and every school in the country the school shooting are a tiny porportion of kids deaths, yet I dont want to be a grieving parent and be wondering over and over "If, if, if, if."

I want to know that people are prepared and ready.

Yet I want the police and the schools and the medical people prepped as much as possible so future incidents are prevented.

If we have marriage licenses and drivers licenses why cant we have parenting licenses? Far too many innocents kids are subjected to neglect and humiliation and abandonment, and their parents are absent and uncaring, which to me, is the real root of the problem. But this summitt is a great step forward.
          I have no desire to be a grieving parent either.

Yet I still have to ask. Exactly how do we prevent these things from happening?

Further, how do we prevent drive by shootings?
          Hate crimes?
          Any crime at all for that matter?

It's one thing to be prepared to REACT to situations. I'm all for that.

However, PREVENTING such things just do not jive with a free society. We dont lock people up for THINKING bad things. We do it for DOING those things. And many times, we have no idea they are about to do the crime until it's too late.

So again, what exactly do we do?

Have metal detectors on every entrance to each school? Armed guards and attack dogs patrolling halls? In depth interviews with each child every year before we admit them into a public school? Perhaps search their homes, their rooms, & their computers?

And that's just the KIDS!

What about these adults who just walk in and start shooting? How do we stop them? Turn schools into bunkers? Protected like military instalations?

This is a FAR deeper problem than just a few shootings in schools. We live in an ever increasing violent society. Video games, movies, television, music. On & on everywhere we go violence is not only allowed, but almost encouraged!

A parenting license sounds like a good idea, but again, that doesnt really jive with a free society, does it? Just who sets the standards for who is to be judged a fit parent? Politicians? Thanks, but I'll pass on that idea, lol.

And lets say we do judge Joe Blow to be unfit. Fine, what then? How do we prevent him from fathering a child, Or Jane Shmane for that matter? Sterilzation?

Lock them all up somewhere from the opposite sex? Were dealing with human instinct here. The natural instinct to procreate.

The primary instict of all animals on this planet. To breed.

Plus, I find it all very two faced, for lack of a better term at the moment.

We all go on about how sad this is, or how terrible that was. Then we turn around, and watch Kill Bill, let the kids play Mortal Combat, and encourage John Lynch to rip Jamal Lewis' head off!

Obviously, that's a little overboard, but not by that much. And I dont mean to imply YOU do so, or even I do so, although I have seen the Kill Bill movies. Mostly because I think Uma's hot though, lol.

But my point is our society encourages all this violence, then acts shocked when we read about it in the news, or see it on TV.

Comment

True, but perhaps im just selfish. I just dont want to see it happen to my kids.
            Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

Man, do I hate changing the way I live because of a few screwed up people...

but if i'm supposed to die by getting shot by some dumbass then so be it..
              Last edited by aberdien; 10-10-2006, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Our biggest problem is time and money. If our society is as great as we might think we should only need a one person working family. This would lead to a full time parent at home who could then home school. Problem solved. No more whining teachers who don't get paid enough to have a few months off and quite a few more holidays than I get. No more big yellow busses blocking traffic. No more taxes to supply those kids with big buildings to cause trouble in. No more high school football teams. Oh wait a minute if we had no more high school teams then how would the college teams recruit. Geewiz then the pros would not be able to recruit and my goodness there would be no Broncomania.

Nevermind, bad idea.
                Thanks for the Sig "rjent"sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X