• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Those Born 1930-1979

Those Born 1930-1979!

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the
    1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

- First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

- They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

- Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

- We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

- As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

- We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

- We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank koolade made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because... WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

- We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on...

-- No one was able to reach us all day...

-- And we were O.K.

- We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down
    the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

- We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound, CD's or Ipods, no cell phones!, no personal computers , no Internet or chat rooms.......

-- WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

- We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
    lawsuits from these accidents.

- We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

- We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

- We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang
    the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

- Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

- The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

-- They actually sided with the law!

- These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

- The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

- We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

- If YOU are one of them . CONGRATULATIONS!

- You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as
    kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good

- And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and
    lucky) their parents were.

- Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
    Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Good Stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by LDB
      Those Born 1930-1979!

- First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

- They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

- Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

- We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

- As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

- We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

- We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank koolade made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because... WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

- We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on...

-- And we were O.K.

the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

- We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound, CD's or Ipods, no cell phones!, no personal computers , no Internet or chat rooms.......

- We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

- We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

- Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

- These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

- We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good

- And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and

Yup! I especially agree with the bits I highlighted!

Damn hose water was the best!
      President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
      I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

And we all turned out fine(at least I hope)!

Comment

Originally posted by LDB
          Those Born 1930-1979!

-- And we were O.K.

I love this!!
          Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

Originally posted by LDB
            Those Born 1930-1979!

-- And we were O.K.

I take exception to the worms.

My dog went everywhere I went. If someone threatened me, my dog would chase them. *That was one fierce mutt! Loved that dog*

I did hunt for night crawlers with my brother and dad at night. We'd water the grass in the daytime or after a rain, and take flashlights out after dark--point them to the ground, and catch night crawlers before they popped back in their holes. *Don't laugh--there was a trick to this and it was an artform* Great memories! Then we'd go fishing together!

I remember picking EVERYONE's flowers and giving them to my mom.
            I was probably 6 or 7 years old.

Playing kick-the-bucket with the entire neighborhood of friends under the shadowy lights of the street lights on corners. It was not unlike the scene from "To Kill A Mockingbird". Spooky. Begged my parents to let me stay out "just a little longer please".

Holding praying mantis or grasshoppers in your hands, and liking it!

The fruit cellar was scary, even to the adults. :shake:

Walked to the dime-store (yes DIME STORE) to get a bag of candy (that cost .50-cents or less for a whole bag) with my brother. We'd buy those balsm wood airplanes, run home, put them together and fly them all afternoon...or until one got stuck on the roof of the house.

We had clotheslines back then, not many had dryers. The wasps would always nest inside the upper part of the T on the poles, and my brother would get them mad and chase us...on purpose! *Screaming all the way*

We finally got our first color television! Whoohooo!

Oh....definitely some good memories.

Yet, some things were not so good too...
            *Wanting to watch cartoons, but couldn't because Watergate was on FOREVER, and we only had 3 stations, no cable, and they played Watergate on all 3 stations.
            *Wearing bracelets for the MIA in Vietnam.
            *Race riots, Civil Rights (good in the end, scary to be too close to though).
            *I had a hard plastic doll that I was sure was going to kill me when I slept.

Good Things:
            *Kidnappings were unheard of, but for only the very rich, for ransom.
            *Perverts were dealt with outside of the courts, quietly, and rarely heard of them.
            *Camping was COOL!

However, I did have to walk to school through large drifts---up and over----and got to school not being able to feel my face, hands, or toes. Those stories are rather true.

Great thread!
            Last edited by His Wife; 11-03-2006, 12:49 PM.
            "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

Well kids born in the 90s had to deal with being the most affluent age ever....so hard....
              SPORT IS LIKE PHOTOGRAPHY,...IF YOU DONT FOCUS,YOU JUST GET NEGATIVES

Born-1990
              Got ipod- 2004

Oh! this one time i saw a blimp!

Comment

this is absolute great and remembers me at my chieldhood :thumb:

Hopelessly devoted to the Prankster

Comment

Working...
                X