No announcement yet.

How come we get nervous about a review?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come we get nervous about a review?

Why do I get myself worked up for a review? I really like my boss. We have done things socially, had drinks, gone to parties.
    BS about things daily.

But something about a "formal" review & having it scheduled on my calendar & knowing I have to go into her office, shut the door - get a written preformace review. scares me!

I have been sick about it for the last couple days.
    It was schduled at 9:30, she called me at 9:20 & asked if I was ready now.

Well I'm done already It was so quick & she was sweet as usual & had little constuctive things to say, & mostly how She loves all I do to make her job easy.

You would think after 3 yrs of the same boss I would not get nervous about reviews.......Anyone else like this?

Originally posted by Missin#7
    Why do I get myself worked up for a review? I really like my boss. We have done things socially, had drinks, gone to parties.
    BS about things daily.

But something about a "formal" review & having it scheduled on my calendar & knowing I have to go into her office, shut the door - get a written preformace review. scares me!

I have been sick about it for the last couple days.
    It was schduled at 9:30, she called me at 9:20 & asked if I was ready now.

Well I'm done already It was so quick & she was sweet as usual & had little constuctive things to say, & mostly how She loves all I do to make her job easy.

You would think after 3 yrs of the same boss I would not get nervous about reviews.......Anyone else like this?

I know how you feel. I've also had the same boss for almost 3 years, and it still makes me nervous. Even though he tells me on a constant basis that this office could not run if I wasn't here, it still gives me the jitters when the date is coming up. Dunno why, all of my reviews have always been good, but I still worry that he'll bring up that one time when I had to leave the office and pick up one of my kiddos because they were sick, or other silly little things that I should know won't come up, but I always worry about it. Then after it's over, I always feel really silly for feeling that way.
    Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

I am my boss, so I really give myself good reviews all the time.
      Actually, it's my customers that give me reviews, if they call me back, they must like my work, if I never hear from them again... well you know.

It's really nothing to worry about, it either goes good or it doesn't, I'm sure you would know if you're doing a good job or not, no one has to tell youl, although it's nice to hear.

There are two kinds of teams in the AFCW; The losers and the Broncos!!!

I Support our Troops!
      How do you expect me to have a RED WHITE and BLUE sig when the background is obnoxious white?

Comment

I think for most us it causes tension because we apprehensive of maybe hearing that we're doing something wrong.
        John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

I don't think one gets so nervous, if they review themselves FIRST, prior to their formal review with their boss. Don't be afraid to hear you are not perfect, don't be afraid to hear you need to improve...as most human beings are constantly in a stage of learning and improving. That was always my philosophy for myself, and it has proved successful for me. Not only to see your strengths, but your weaknesses, as both are assets to a boss. They just need to know you are aware of your weaknesses and have a plan for improving those weaknesses--with a time table in mind (or what you are in the process of working on currently to already improve them). Come across confident, but not arrogant and open-minded.

The only time you need to be worried in a review....is when you and another employee may be butting heads and it's starting to be felt by co-workers or hurting the production of work being done. Now that...is something to worry about with merit. just my :2cents:
          Last edited by His Wife; 11-09-2006, 09:57 AM.
          "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

I have worked for the same company for 15 years and I recall having only one review about 10 years ago. This is a small company and everyone knows what is expected of them. I gave my employees their annual reviews on time but there usually was no monetary reward which totally sucks. Especially when an employee went beyond the call of duty.

If we don't ship enough in any given week, the boss goes crazy and hollers and says all kinds of negative stuff directed at everyone and it was mainly at me since I was the production manager.

I couldn't take it anymore so I quit.

After a year off, I have come back simply to run the shipping department. Now I don't have to hear it as much. We do hear the "good job" every now and then but it is sad that the "not good enough" phrase is said every single time.

Sorry... I am ranting. LOL.
            :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69
              I have worked for the same company for 15 years and I recall having only one review about 10 years ago. This is a small company and everyone knows what is expected of them. I gave my employees their annual reviews on time but there usually was no monetary reward which totally sucks. Especially when an employee went beyond the call of duty.

If we don't ship enough in any given week, the boss goes crazy and hollers and says all kinds of negative stuff directed at everyone and it was mainly at me since I was the production manager.

I couldn't take it anymore so I quit.

After a year off, I have come back simply to run the shipping department. Now I don't have to hear it as much. We do hear the "good job" every now and then but it is sad that the "not good enough" phrase is said every single time.

Sorry... I am ranting. LOL.
              That does suck, B69, no monetary benefits on reviews. There is another way to look at it though. After working in the best job I had ever had as an Exec Secretary with the best guys in the world (including parents and 100 boys who were living under the State's custody), I, along with the guys I worked with (Some had been there over 20 years), were let go ("surplused") due to we were on the high-end of the pay scale. There's good sides to getting paid better and then there's worrisome sides to being paid better. In 10 minutes, I went from well-paid, a nice 401k, superb benefits, excellent reviews year after year, to NOTHING. Maybe getting a raise isn't always everything. Had me and the guys I worked with all had a choice? We all agreed we would have taken a pay-cut to keep the jobs we loved and all the security around the job. We all worked together so well and we loved our jobs! It was our dream jobs. Several years later, I still feel a loss. I probably shouldn't but I do.
              "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

Originally posted by His Wife
                That does suck, B69, no monetary benefits on reviews. There is another way to look at it though. After working in the best job I had ever had as an Exec Secretary with the best guys in the world (including parents and 100 boys who were living under the State's custody), I, along with the guys I worked with (Some had been there over 20 years), were let go ("surplused") due to we were on the high-end of the pay scale. There's good sides to getting paid better and then there's worrisome sides to being paid better. In 10 minutes, I went from well-paid, a nice 401k, superb benefits, excellent reviews year after year, to NOTHING. Maybe getting a raise isn't always everything. Had me and the guys I worked with all had a choice? We all agreed we would have taken a pay-cut to keep the jobs we loved and all the security around the job. We all worked together so well and we loved our jobs! It was our dream jobs. Several years later, I still feel a loss. I probably shouldn't but I do.
                Oh! That is a bummer!

I too think I would take a pay cut to keep this job. They are very good to us here. And I love my boss & the owner of the company is wonderful. I like working for a small company (although I think there is close to 115 people here now) More than doubled since I started.

Comment

Originally posted by His Wife
                  Wow. Quite the story and I can relate.

This company I work for is the same way. We all work together so well and we all did in fact take pay cuts around 3 years ago. Some readers may remember me saying how our company burned to the ground and we had to start over. We relocated from Las Vegas here to Cedar City and several employees made the move. We are coworkers and friends like family and always will be at this point.

Not only did we not receive raises, or get our original salaries back, but we have no benefits. They do pay us for holidays and we get to acrue vacation time but there is zero health/medical insurance and no 401K. Bonuses and pizza parties don't even happen anymore.

What makes us keep putting up with this place? Who Knows.
                  :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X