Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

privacy or paranoia...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • privacy or paranoia...

    playing with a few americans from this board...

    i have noticed one thing...

    every single person avoids the subject of their residence...

    i for one was brought up as a trusting individual knowing not to distrust people unless they did something to lose that trust...

    i trust all who i meet until the day they break that trust...

    dont get me wrong...

    there needs to be caution and common sense...

    but where can that line be drawn of being cautious or downright paranoid??

    or is it simply a comfort thing knowing that while a person does not know what state you live in will really make you safer at night??

    or is this something that americans are brought up to believe??

    to have such a mindset??

    arent there more immediate threats to worry about??

    when is it ok to share personal information??

    ...

    just a thought...

    any reasoning would be appreciated...

    ps. i know not all people are like this... but its a generalised observation...
    Last edited by anton...; 11-14-2006, 06:29 AM.

    sigpic

  • #2
    I would have to respectfully disagree with you, Anton.

    When you are talking with certain people, you have no problem telling
    them a few private details about yourself, but when you think there
    could be a stalker or worse....and they TOO can see your info,
    you rethink giving out any. It's too easy to track people today.

    We wish more teens would think on the line of not getting giving
    away too much of their information as well, as 2006 thus far the
    FBI have arrested over 50,000 perverts thus far via the internet.
    Paranoia? We have over 350,000 kids that are missing, paranoia?
    Don't think so. Oh an Anton....that's just we we know about.

    It's an unfortunate part of our country, not having a lot scarier consequences to stalking and hunting down people vs the internet. It's actually an out-of-control problem and with the citizens not wanting (overall) stiffer internet regulation....until then....you will probably continue seeing a lot of hesitation on personal information. Common sense amount of info to you, may be a predator's smile of delight!
    Last edited by His Wife; 11-14-2006, 06:40 AM.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

    John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

    Comment


    • #3
      I have no problem telling everyone I live in the TwinCities, MN.

      But I do think for some, its just easy to not even give your real name & hide behind your computer screen. Which you will find on every internet message/chat board.

      But I also know as a woman I do try to be cautious as to not sharing too much. I also know for every 50 nice, normal people you will chat with on the internet. There will always be that one crazy, Dahmer like one. You just need to be safe.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by His Wife
        I would have to respectfully disagree with you, Anton.

        When you are talking with certain people, you have no problem telling
        them a few private details about yourself, but when you think there
        could be a stalker or worse....and they TOO can see your info,
        you rethink giving out any. It's too easy to track people today.

        We wish more teens would think on the line of not getting giving
        away too much of their information as well, as 2006 thus far the
        FBI have arrested over 50,000 perverts thus far via the internet.
        Paranoia? We have over 350,000 kids that are missing, paranoia?
        Don't think so. Oh an Anton....that's just we we know about.

        It's an unfortunate part of our country, not having a lot scarier consequences to stalking and hunting down people vs the internet. It's actually an out-of-control problem and with the citizens not wanting (overall) stiffer internet regulation....until then....you will probably continue seeing a lot of hesitation on personal information. Common sense amount of info to you, may be a predator's smile of delight!



        wow...

        this problem is really not an issue here in oz...

        so i guess it explains the attitudes differing...

        but wow...

        thats a lot of perverted people...



        it sorta makes sense why americans are so paranoid...

        and thus it makes me sad how screwed up the world has become...



        i mean...

        my dad for one hithicked across nation after nation in the 70's...

        now he tells me not to do nothing and picking up a hitchhiker is unheard of...

        too much weirdness...

        far to much...


        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by anton...


          wow...

          this problem is really not an issue here in oz...

          so i guess it explains the attitudes differing...

          but wow...

          thats a lot of perverted people...



          it sorta makes sense why americans are so paranoid...

          and thus it makes me sad how screwed up the world has become...



          i mean...

          my dad for one hithicked across nation after nation in the 70's...

          now he tells me not to do nothing and picking up a hitchhiker is unheard of...

          too much weirdness...

          far to much...

          Yeah, it is truly sad Anton. The sexual predators are so vast in the world today, it's very unsettling. Makes me just 'mad'.

          Same here in the 60-70's re Hitchhikers....but it's nearly unheard of. On our interstate systems, pedestrians are against the law not in a vehicle (or broken down vehicle). Yeah....my sister was one of those....still thinks she's a flower child too----I just see a whole lot of gray hair and wishful thinking.
          "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

          John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Missin#7
            I have no problem telling everyone I live in the TwinCities, MN.

            But I do think for some, its just easy to not even give your real name & hide behind your computer screen. Which you will find on every internet message/chat board.

            But I also know as a woman I do try to be cautious as to not sharing too much. I also know for every 50 nice, normal people you will chat with on the internet. There will always be that one crazy, Dahmer like one. You just need to be safe.
            yeah...

            i mean last name perhaps not...

            credit card details perhaps not...

            full adress perhaps not...

            but city/ state and first name shouldnt have to be hidden....

            but after what hw said...

            it sorta made me realise why this is so...

            its easier i guess...

            and i guess differing nations have differeing outlooks on things...

            i guess i do take it as an insult when im happy to share general infomation about me and its not returned... cos im very trust orientated person...

            but i guess ive been looking at it the wrong way...

            the net is not really a place to expect information...

            and now i know...


            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by anton...
              yeah...

              i mean last name perhaps not...

              credit card details perhaps not...

              full adress perhaps not...

              but city/ state and first name shouldnt have to be hidden....

              but after what hw said...

              it sorta made me realise why this is so...

              its easier i guess...

              and i guess differing nations have differeing outlooks on things...

              i guess i do take it as an insult when im happy to share general infomation about me and its not returned... cos im very trust orientated person...

              but i guess ive been looking at it the wrong way...

              the net is not really a place to expect information...

              and now i know...

              Well Anton....you are pure of heart....that's what makes you so special.
              You are fearless...that's what is funny. You are Aussie---makes you special too!
              you are just SPECIAL!
              "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

              John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by His Wife
                Yeah, it is truly sad Anton. The sexual predators are so vast in the world today, it's very unsettling. Makes me just 'mad'.

                Same here in the 60-70's re Hitchhikers....but it's nearly unheard of. On our interstate systems, pedestrians are against the law not in a vehicle (or broken down vehicle). Yeah....my sister was one of those....still thinks she's a flower child too----I just see a whole lot of gray hair and wishful thinking.
                im sure she is sexy and 20 something in her mind...



                ...

                and yeah...

                creepy stuff...

                and by the way i act on here...

                i probably wouldnt talk to me at all...


                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by His Wife
                  Well Anton....you are pure of heart....that's what makes you so special.
                  You are fearless...that's what is funny. You are Aussie---makes you special too!
                  you are just SPECIAL!


                  girlfriend please...

                  :nono:

                  im not fearless...

                  i have a fear of having fears...



                  ps. i hope you mean special in a sexy way...

                  none of that "you are special because you like the colour yellow" special...

                  cos thats not funny...

                  thats just mean...


                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by anton...
                    im sure she is sexy and 20 something in her mind...



                    ...

                    and yeah...

                    creepy stuff...

                    and by the way i act on here...

                    i probably wouldnt talk to me at all...

                    Yeah, she's 55. She's three pups short of a pet shop.
                    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

                    John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by anton...


                      girlfriend please...

                      :nono:

                      im not fearless...

                      i have a fear of having fears...



                      ps. i hope you mean special in a sexy way...

                      none of that "you are special because you like the colour yellow" special...

                      cos thats not funny...

                      thats just mean...

                      Not mean, funny....yellow.... very sexy, absolutely! :thumb:
                      "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

                      John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I've seen some of the nicest posters here develop "archenemies", all for no apparent reason.

                        Sometimes you don't realize just how many people are actually reading your posts.

                        You get a wide variety of people here on the internet, and yea there are a whole lot of creepy angry types out there. (some hang in the smack forum j/k)

                        Me, I try to be somewhat careful, even though I have given out my name and pic here.

                        I believe NJBroncosfan actually pissed someone off enough that that person used the personal info that they got on the net to get back at him in real life.

                        Yes, I believe it's important to be careful here.
                        You've got to know when to sack em...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Nas
                          I've seen some of the nicest posters here develop "archenemies", all for no apparent reason.

                          Sometimes you don't realize just how many people are actually reading your posts.

                          You get a wide variety of people here on the internet, and yea there are a whole lot of creepy angry types out there. (some hang in the smack forum j/k)

                          Me, I try to be somewhat careful, even though I have given out my name and pic here.

                          I believe NJBroncosfan actually pissed someone off enough that that person used the personal info that they got on the net to get back at him in real life.

                          Yes, I believe it's important to be careful here.
                          Hey---I like your avatar Nas! I agree with you. Some of the male posters
                          even have problems.
                          "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

                          John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by His Wife
                            Hey---I like your avatar Nas! I agree with you. Some of the male posters
                            even have problems.
                            :nono:

                            lets not talk about erection problems on here please...

                            :offtopic:




                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by anton...
                              :nono:

                              lets not talk about erection problems on here please...

                              :offtopic:




                              Sorry Nas....didn't see that joke possible, until it was too late!

                              Anton = :hammer:
                              "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

                              John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X