This one time...At band camp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This one time...At band camp...

I know that there are several other people out there that were in marching bands in their high school/college (or still are.) RC & I were discussing band stories elsewhere, so I decided to start a whole thread about it, instead of hijacking a different thread...So here we go band geeks...Here's the thread for us all...

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by BlueDamsel
    LOL speaking of getting things in people's hair...At one of our competitions, there was a guard through flute cross through & this freshman flagette was off center a bit & she ran past one of our freshmen and ended up getting her hair tangled in the flute...Anna dropped the flute & the guard ran off with it caught in her hair...After that the guard's hairs weren't all down & nappy looking, they had to be pulled up, by order of the band director! hehe.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

originally posted by rcsodak

Any one in particular that belonged to that flute??????

In HS, during a practice at the stadium, I came bounding down the bleachers to get in formation....but when I landed on the same level as one of our tuba players(6'6 350+), it broke and I fell through......
    ...to this day, they have that piece of bleacher hanging at the front of the band room with both of our names on it......it was our "break through" award
    It belonged to one of our freshmen...I would have been sure to get the flute somewhere else, especially after what happened to me my sophomore year.

I had just been to the doctor because I had twisted my ankle up pretty badly, I forget where/how, but it was killing me. I was told it was pretty badly sprained & that I needed to take it easy. I wasn't supposed to be marching in the halftime show that week, but since we were getting ready for regionals, I felt I needed the practice. There was one part where I had to jazz run backwards up the 50 yard line, had 10 steps to get from the back hash to the front sideline...Not an easy task, considering I was supposed to be playing one of the hardest runs in the song at that point too. Well, so I'm marching anyway, minding my own business and all of a sudden *thwack* out gives the ankle, there's a reallllly sharp pain, and down I go. Turns out, the entire color guard was off by not 5 yards, not 10 yards but 20 FLIPPING YARDS! They were not supposed to be anywhere near us at that point, but were all off...She could see me coming towards her at high speeds, I couldn't look backwards, and she still planted the flagpole right where my foot was...

I tried to get back up & finish the rest of the show, but I was pulled off the field by the band director & made to (oh darn) sit with the football team...heh. I couldn't stand that girl that did that to me to begin with, and that just finished that off.

Ironic thing was that 2 years ago, when I was dating a guy in the army, he went to introduce me to some of his other comrade's girlfriends & she was one of them...We "joked around" about what had happened, but she was still quite the "nice person..." (sarcastic there). A few weeks later, I was in the hosp for appendicitis & my boyfriend broke up with me, so that he could get married--to one of her best friends that he had met the night before...Ugh, big mess...

Comment

I was never in the band (mother bought me Violin lessons )
      But I'll never forget one year at the Air Force Academy where I sold programs at the football games when I was in high school at Air Academy High..lonng story.....anyways one time one of the half times was a "bunch "of High School bands playing the same songs at the same time .............it was AWFUL!!! I still cringe just thinking about it LOL.

But I give Marching Bands lots of credit, it looks like alot of work, one of my favorite movies is Drumline.

Comment

Originally posted by JoviBronco
        I was never in the band (mother bought me Violin lessons )
        But I'll never forget one year at the Air Force Academy where I sold programs at the games when I was in high school at Air Academy High..lonng story.....anyways one time one of the half times was a "bunch "of High School bands playing the same songs at the same time .............it was AWFUL!!! I still cringe just thinking about it LOL.

But I give Marching Bands lots of credit, it looks like alot of work, one of my favorite movies is Drumline.
        wait wait wait...You were a Kadet too?

I went to AAHS from '96-'99...

What I'm wondering is why there were other inferior bands playing with us?

Comment

wait wait wait...You were a Kadet too?

I went to AAHS from '96-'99...

What I'm wondering is why there were other inferior bands playing with us?
          No kidding!!! I graduated 1975. Went to the Jr. High and the High school.

Comment

AAJHS?? When I was there they didn't have any JHS on USAFA, just an elementary school (Douglas Valley) and the HS (AAHS). Have you seen some of the new updates they've done on the school? It's pretty awesome.

Comment

Okay, this is my band camp story that doesn't have anything to do with band.

The summer affter the 7th grade I was attending my very first band camp and this was my first time spending real extended time out of my parents' grasp. Having recently checked into the dorm at the university, the parents were all gone and I was visiting the room of some friends before we had even had the introduction to the camp.

It just so happened that their air conditioner wasn't working and, being rather warm in the middle of the summer, I decided to help them out. Dumb Jr. High student that I was, I removed the thermostat and started poking around the inside with my room key. Needless to say, electricity and metal keys have a special relationship...just ask Ben Franklin. So, sparks flew and so did my key. The electricity on the entire floor went out, my key was melted in spots and I'd imagine my hair was probably standing on end.

After making sure I was okay, my friends promised they wouldn't tell and I returned to my room a wee bit embarrassed. Ten minutes later I was "shocked" to find that my "friends" had squealed on me and I had a couple of very angry and vocal camp adminstrators expressing their displeasure. The moments after that are kinda fuzzy now but I remember getting to a phone and bawling to my parents that I was being kicked out of camp and that they had to come get me. Apparently a phone call from my Dad conviced the administrators to refrain from yelling at me anymore and they actually became quite nice and convinced me that I was welcome to stay.

While it was a horrible way to start the camp (and trust me, it seemed far worse at the time), I ended up having a fantastic time and, in fact, got my first real girlfriend and kiss at that camp.
              "You can't take the sky from me..."
              ------
              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Haven't seen any of the updates, the Jr. High school was way out past the Black Forest. We even got a juke box one year LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                  I ended up having a fantastic time and, in fact, got my first real girlfriend and kiss at that camp.
                  Good to know It wasn't a total loss

Comment

http://academy.d20.co.edu/kadets/

There is lots of stuff on the site--including places for alumni to register & reconnect with old friends/info about reunions and stuff...

Jav, LOL you goon!

Comment

Thanks for the link Blue!!

Comment

There is also another site out there that they are really trying to get going--atleast for my class.

It's funny, in HS we got polled about class reunions and everyone was like "no flippin' way...we don't want any of those"...yet our class seems to have the most people responding to things on that website! LOL

Comment

LOL Jovi, you in any of these pics?

http://ns2.d20.co.edu/kadets/alumni/yearbook/1975/

Comment

Jav, LOL you goon!
                            Goon? What did I do? I was just trying to help!!! :p
                            "You can't take the sky from me..."
                            ------
                            "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

A key in an electric socket thing???!! Geesh...That's even stupider than me trying to plug in a humidifier just after I had put my hand in the water...

Comment

Working...
                              X