Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subaru Legacy, Infiniti G35x or Lexus IS250?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subaru Legacy, Infiniti G35x or Lexus IS250?

Ok, it's time to get the wife a new car. She wants something fairly sporty, but also some luxury to it. AWD and stability control are musts. So, I have narrowed it to:

Subaru Legacy GT Limited
    Infiniti G35x
    Lexus IS250 AWD

What do you folks think? Which one to go with?
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Originally posted by tnedator
    Ok, it's time to get the wife a new car. She wants something fairly sporty, but also some luxury to it. AWD and stability control are musts. So, I have narrowed it to:

Subaru Legacy GT Limited
    Infiniti G35x
    Lexus IS250 AWD

Infinity G35. I love that car. It won car of the year for a reason!

I know the old model had a little bit of stick shifting though, I wonder if they fixed it.

Comment

Subaru Legacy GT Limited
      Infiniti G35x
      Lexus IS250 AWD

Subaru Legacy GT Limited (2005)
      Infiniti G35X(2005)
      Lexus IS250 AWD(2006)
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DawgFanatic
        Subaru Legacy GT Limited (2005)
        Infiniti G35X(2005)
        Lexus IS250 AWD(2006)
        Lexus seems the clear winner on pure luxury.

Inifinit seems to be the winner on pure performance with a luxury twist (Legacy is in the ballpark performance wise).

Legacy is going to beat out the Lexus on performance and be right behind the Infiniti, but fall well behind both in luxury, but is $5,000-8,000 less than the other two.
        The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Lexus seems the clear winner on pure luxury.

Inifinit seems to be the winner on pure performance with a luxury twist (Legacy is in the ballpark performance wise).

Legacy is going to beat out the Lexus on performance and be right behind the Infiniti, but fall well behind both in luxury, but is $5,000-8,000 less than the other two.
          I say go with the legacy. Or the car thats the best for you and your family, i hope you pick the right one
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DawgFanatic
            I say go with the legacy. Or the car thats the best for you and your family, i hope you pick the right one
            For me, it would be the Infiniti or Legacy, because of the performance, for her, probably the Lexus (less performance, more plush). She has a WRX now (original '02 model) and drives it like a grandma. LOL

sigpic

Comment

My wife has a legacy outback sedan. An 03 with all the works. I think it's called a 3.0 H-6 or something. (I dont drive it much)

She loves it as much as I do my Mustang. It has heated seats, Onstar, 6CD stereo with the subwoofer on the rear deck, full time 4wd, and a spacious trunk for a smaller car, with fold down rear seats.

She has about 70,000 miles on it, and the worst thing that has happened is the tires wore out, and a headlight burned out last week. Only 20 bucks for the lamp though. Oh, and a kool aid spill that wont come out. Sorry, not orange, lol.

it's a great snow car, especially for it's weight, and gets pretty good milage. (She's an accountant and that was one of her important selling points)

She had a wide variety of cars to choose from, and could have spent ALOT more, but that was want she wanted, and she has no regrets. I pushed for a Benz AWD wagon myself.

I had a 99 Lexus SC400 before the Mustang, and I cant knock it any really. It was a really nice car, and full of luxury. It even had a fairly large trunk for a car that shouldnt even have a trunk, lol. It had more buttons than the bridge of the Starship Enterprise.

And it's reputation is well deserved. But, it was an expensive car, and just driving by the dealer cost like 75 bucks, lol.

Never driven an Infinity.

Doubt this helped much, but there it is.

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
                I had a 99 Lexus SC400 before the Mustang, and I cant knock it any really. It was a really nice car, and full of luxury. It even had a fairly large trunk for a car that shouldnt even have a trunk, lol. It had more buttons than the bridge of the Starship Enterprise.

And it's reputation is well deserved. But, it was an expensive car, and just driving by the dealer cost like 75 bucks, lol.
                Yikes, that means it will probably cost me about $125 every time I drive by the dealer. The standard $75 dealership passing toll, plus the $50 in gas it costs me to get to and from Little Rock. lol

Hmmm, I might need to stick with Subarus.

sigpic

Comment

Yikes, that means it will probably cost me about $125 every time I drive by the dealer. The standard $75 dealership passing toll, plus the $50 in gas it costs me to get to and from Little Rock. lol

Hmmm, I might need to stick with Subarus.

Well, I only took it to the dealer once. For a check up.

Get this, for my Dodge truck, they do something like a 30 point inspection. Cost? Around 30 dollars.

The Lexus dealer did a 12 point inspection. Cost? $99.00.

The Dodge dealer has cheap seats in the waiting area, A plain old color tv, an empty coffee machine, and the service guys eat all the donoughts.

The Lexus dealer has deep, plush leather recliners, a wide screen HDTV, coffee, tea, pop by the gallon, and all you can eat in pastries and snacks.

The Subaru is also an Elway dealer like the Dodge. They have even less stuff.

The Dodge and Subaru generally dealers keep us as little as possible.

I waited TWO HOURS for that 12 point checkup. And they werent that busy it seemed even. I sat in my fancy chair of my choice, and was able to flip thru the tube at my leasure. The only time I have ever spent any real time with HDTV really, lol.

Wasnt what I really went there for.

However, that's my ONLY experience at a Lexus dealer for service. They are always rated at or near the top i customer satisfaction. Just not that day maybe.

And certainly not for the value of what I had done. I wonder if those people are more impressed with leather recliners rather than the CAR service sometimes.

I should add my parents have two more Lexus'. Mom drives a 98 GS, which she has abused like a teenager, and dad has an 04 ES in California. They love them, and also had little trouble with them.

OH!!! My SC. When I got rid of it, it did have an electrical problem. When I picked it up in the mountains, it was dead as a doornail. Ever since, it drained it battery every three or four days. I never did take it the dealer, as I am not that much closer than you really, but others mechanics all said they couldnt find anything wrong with it.

One thing about performance. I realize the SC is different from the IS, but that thing was greased lightning on wheels! Just as fast as the Mustang GT. Faster even with it's smooth automatic tranny.

But it had been about 12 years since I had even driven a stick. So that's pretty much not true anymore.

The Subaru will most likely cost you less, but you wont beat the Lexus for luxury.

Make her at least drive the three, and buy the lady what she wants. Always the best advice, ya know?

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
                    Make her at least drive the three, and buy the lady what she wants. Always the best advice, ya know?
                    Yep, that's the plan. She has seen them at this point, but not driven them. I am hoping to get down to LR in the next couple weeks so that she can drive them all in the same day.

What sucks about all of them is that it's about an hour and 45 minute drive to all three dealerships. In town we only have Ford, Chevy/Dodge (a single dealership with horrible reputation) and a buick/Cadilac dealership. Everything else is close to two hours away. Makes it a pain when shoping for cars, but more important when getting service done.

Our Subaru dealership is also an Accura dealership, and owned by the LR Mercedes dealership, so it is a relatively plush waiting area along with the treatment you receive when scheduling and getting service.

sigpic

Comment

Yep, that's the plan. She has seen them at this point, but not driven them. I am hoping to get down to LR in the next couple weeks so that she can drive them all in the same day.

What sucks about all of them is that it's about an hour and 45 minute drive to all three dealerships. In town we only have Ford, Chevy/Dodge (a single dealership with horrible reputation) and a buick/Cadilac dealership. Everything else is close to two hours away. Makes it a pain when shoping for cars, but more important when getting service done.

Our Subaru dealership is also an Accura dealership, and owned by the LR Mercedes dealership, so it is a relatively plush waiting area along with the treatment you receive when scheduling and getting service.

Something to consider.

See if you can find out which model would be the easiest for "Goober" to work on out in the middle of nowhere.

She had a Land Rover before the Subaru, and it broke down in Ogalalla, Nebraska. NOBODY there was qualified to service it. What ever you do, stay as far away from a Land Rover dealer as you possibly can!

It's just not every mechanic can work on certain cars. Hate to read a story about how you had to tow it hundreds of miles.

Comment

After getting down to LR and spending more time with the Lexus and Infiniti, one thing became clear and that was the IS250 was out.

Two reasons. First, it is cramped inside, and limited visibility. Second, the 2.5 liter engine is underpowered.

The G35 is real nice. I am not 100% sure about the dealership that is in the process of changing owners. It took nearly 30 minutes to find someone to help us. The place was deserted.

I think my wife has moved off here AWD requirement, which is fine since we live in Arkansas and she never drives in the snow during the rare times we get some. So, now the Lexus ES350 is in play. It isn't quite as sporty looking as the IS250/350, but it has a LOT more room inside. The Lexus perf leather seats are the most comfortable seats I have ever seen in a car.

sigpic

Comment

I have an '02 Lexus IS300...the things actually quite sporty. I have 91k, only problems i've had were a replaced oxygen sensor about 2k miles ago, worn tires, and a dead battery.
                          I love the thing to death.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
                            I have an '02 Lexus IS300...the things actually quite sporty. I have 91k, only problems i've had were a replaced oxygen sensor about 2k miles ago, worn tires, and a dead battery.
                            I love the thing to death.
                            That's not many problems for a car with 91k on it.

sigpic

Comment

Get the one with the best safety rating.

There are two kinds of teams in the AFCW; The losers and the Broncos!!!

I Support our Troops!
                              How do you expect me to have a RED WHITE and BLUE sig when the background is obnoxious white?

Comment

Working...
                              X