X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocking News: Women talk 3x as much as men do. Duh

In news that should surprise no one...
    Women talk three times as much as men, says study

It is something one half of the population has long suspected - and the other half always vocally denied. Women really do talk more than men.

In fact, women talk almost three times as much as men, with the average woman chalking up 20,000 words in a day - 13,000 more than the average man.

Read more...
    • Heels on wheels as Paris takes Lindsay and Britney out for a spin
    • Women spend eight years of their life shopping
    • Transformed in 40 weeks, woman with a new face

Women also speak more quickly, devote more brainpower to chit-chat - and actually get a buzz out of hearing their own voices, a new book suggests.

The book - written by a female psychiatrist - says that inherent differences between the male and female brain explain why women are naturally more talkative than men.

In The Female Mind, Dr Luan Brizendine says women devote more brain cells to talking than men.

And, if that wasn't enough, the simple act of talking triggers a flood of brain chemicals which give women a rush similar to that felt by heroin addicts when they get a high.

Dr Brizendine, a self-proclaimed feminist, says the differences can be traced back to the womb, where the sex hormone testosterone moulds the developing male brain.

The areas responsible for communication, emotion and memory are all pared back the unborn baby boy.

The result is that boys - and men - chat less than their female counterparts and struggle to express their emotions to the same extent.

"Women have an eight-lane superhighway for processing emotion, while men have a small country road," said Dr Brizendine, who runs a female "mood and hormone" clinic in San Francisco.

There are, however, advantages to being the strong, silent type. Dr Brizendine explains that testosterone also reduces the size of the section of the brain involved in hearing - allowing men to become "deaf" to the most logical of arguments put forward by their wives and girlfriends.

But what the male brain may lack in converstation and emotion, they more than make up with in their ability to think about sex.

Dr Brizendine says the brain's "sex processor" - the areas responsible for sexual thoughts - is twice as big as in men than in women, perhaps explaining why men are stereotyped as having sex on the mind.

Or, to put it another way, men have an international airport for dealing with thoughts about sex, "where women have an airfield nearby that lands small and private planes".

Studies have shown that while a man will think about sex every 52 seconds, the subject tends to cross women's minds just once a day, the University of California psychiatrist says.

Dr Brizendine, whose book is based on her own clinical work and analyses of more than 1,000 scientific studies, added: "There is no unisex brain.

"Girls arrive already wired as girls, and boys arrive already wired as boys. Their brains are different by the time they're born, and their brains are what drive their impulses, values and their very reality.

"I know it is not politically correct to say this but I've been torn for years between my politics and what science is telling us.

"I believe women actually perceive the world differently from men.

"If women attend to those differences they can make better decisions about how to manage their lives."

Other scientists, however, are sceptical about the effects of testosterone on the brain and say many of the differences between the male and female personality can be explained by social conditioning, with a child's upbringing greatly influencing their character.

Deborah Cameron, an Oxford University linguistics professor with a special interest in language and gender, said the amount we talk is influenced by who we are with and what we are doing.

She added: "If you aggregate a large number of studies you will find there is little difference between the amount men and women talk."

Already available in the US, The Female Brain will be available in the UK from April.
    linky

The best part though, was reading the comments after the article. This was the best:

But, of course, it has been said that women only talk twice as much as men because we constantly have to repeat what we said to them as they don't listen!

- Kay, Ontario Canada ex UK
    HEAR ME ROAR!
    sigpic
    Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

At least we have something WORTHWHILE to say

Quote:
    But, of course, it has been said that women only talk twice as much as men because we constantly have to repeat what we said to them as they don't listen!

Boy aint that the truth!
    Last edited by 2 Minute Warning; 11-28-2006, 03:47 PM.

Comment

A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

There are two kinds of teams in the AFCW; The losers and the Broncos!!!

I Support our Troops!
      How do you expect me to have a RED WHITE and BLUE sig when the background is obnoxious white?

Comment

Originally posted by Summerz
        Quote:

Boy aint that the truth!
        I'm sorry did you say something Summerz? Just kidding.

I will say this about the opposite gals that should be admired. They are generally speaking much better at expressing their emotions and are generally superior to men in accurately naming the emotions that they feel. While I don't have scientific evidence to back what I'm saying I think that this is one of the reasons that the lifespan of women is greater than that of men.
        John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

I'm not saying a word, heck, I can't say a word. I live in a house that has anywhere from 8 to 10 females at any given time. When we moved in, my neighbor thought I was a mute for the first 3 weeks, because he never heard me talk, he just heard females
          sigpic sig by Vulcan thanx buddy

Comment

Men....Today's Lesson Is....

Women love to communicate, and you will always find them encouraging their men to do the same. In fact, many women's number one complaint about men is that they don't know how to communicate. (Very true, plus men don't like to)

Unfortunately, most men don't realize that a woman's idea of communication means listening to what she has to say. She does not want your opinion; all she wants you to do is listen. (Not advised during a football game)

So what should you do? My advice is, if you value the relationship, you should listen. Otherwise you might risk having her find another man who listens to her, and you know what that usually leads to, right? ( )

If, however, you find that her communication requirements accelerate your hair loss, then it's time for you to take action. What can you do? Beat her at her own game and start communicating. That's right, fight fire with fire. (Yee Haw! Common Sense)

The moral of the story: when she talks, you listen (listen does not mean hearing her in the background. It means you are actually listening to what she has to say). This way she won't have to keep repeating herself. But make sure that when you talk, she is also listening to you. Get it on!

Link
            "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

Seriously, thats no surprise

:salute:

Comment

Are you sure it's not 10?

Because most of the time the ladys do the YADDYAYAYAYAYADADYAYAYADAYADAYA I do the yeah.... Mmhhmmmm.. really...... yea....

Comment

Back to the ol' Men Vs Felmale and I bet a CP on the Males!

Comment

I don't believe it, I don't believe it, I don't believe it.........

nahhhhh...........I believe it.....
                    Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Originally posted by Day1BroncoFan
                      A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.
                      You do know why don't you? .....
                      It's usually because the man says something stupid, and
                      he 'opens yet another door'. That's hysterically true.
                      "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

i've posted this before, but i'm going to post it again for those who may not have seen it before. . .

Women's English

"Yes" = No
                        "No" = Yes
                        "Maybe" = No
                        "I'm sorry." = You'll be sorry.
                        "We need" = I want
                        "It's your decision" = The correct decision should be obvious by now.
                        "Do what you want" = You'll pay for this later.
                        "We need to talk" = I need to complain
                        "Sure... go ahead" = I don't want you to.
                        "I'm not upset" = Of course I'm upset, you moron!
                        "You're ... so manly" = You need a shave and you sweat a lot.
                        "You're certainly attentive tonight" = Is sex all you ever think about?
                        "Be romantic, turn out the lights" = I have flabby thighs.
                        "This kitchen is so inconvenient" = I want a new house.
                        "I want new curtains" = and carpeting, and furniture, and wallpaper.....
                        "Hang the picture there" = NO, I mean hang it there!
                        "I heard a noise" = I noticed you were almost asleep.
                        "Do you love me?" = I'm going to ask for something expensive.
                        "How much do you love me?" = I did something today you're really not going to like.
                        "I'll be ready in a minute." = Kick off your shoes and find a good game on TV.
                        "Is my butt fat?" = Tell me I'm beautiful.
                        "You have to learn to communicate." = Just agree with me.
                        "Are you listening to me!?" = Too late, you're dead.
                        "Was that the baby?" = Why don't you get out of bed and rock him until he goes to sleep.
                        "I'm not yelling!" = Yes, I am yelling because I think this is important.

The answer to "What's wrong?":

The same old thing = Nothing
                        Nothing = Everything
                        Everything = My PMS is acting up
                        Nothing, really = It's just that you're such an a-hole

Men's English

"I'm hungry." = I'm hungry.
                        "I'm sleepy." = I'm sleepy.
                        "I'm tired." = I'm tired.
                        "Do you want to go to a movie?" = I'd eventually like to have sex with you.
                        "Can I take you out to dinner?" = I'd eventually like to have sex with you.
                        "Can I call you sometime?" = I'd eventually like to have sex with you.
                        "May I have this dance?" = I'd eventually like to have sex with you.
                        "You look tense, let me give you a massage." = I want to fondle you..., and eventually have sex with you.
                        "Nice dress!" = Nice boobs!
                        "What's wrong?" = I don't see why you are making such a big deal out of this.
                        "What's wrong?" = What meaningless self-inflicted psychological trauma are you going through now? <--- this one kills me!
                        "What's wrong?" = I guess sex tonight is out of the question.
                        "I'm bored." = Do you want to have sex?
                        "I love you." = Let's have sex now.
                        "I love you, too." = Okay, I said it...we'd better have sex now!
                        "Yes, I like the way you cut your hair." = I liked it better before.
                        "Yes, I like the way you cut your hair." = $50 and it doesn't look that much different!
                        "Let's talk." = I am trying to impress you by showing that I am a deep person and maybe then you'd like to have sex with me.
                        "Will you marry me?" = I want to make it illegal for you to have sex with other guys.
                        (While shopping) "I like that one better." = Pick any freakin' dress and let's go home!
                        "I don't think that blouse and that skirt go well together." = I am gay.
                        Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by Summerz
                          Quote:

Boy aint that the truth!
                          It's called "selective hearing" Summerz - it's something they teach us very early on in Man School

Comment

Originally posted by His Wife
                            You do know why don't you? .....
                            It's usually because the man says something stupid, and
                            he 'opens yet another door'. That's hysterically true.
                            Well, it doesn't sound stupid when we're thinking it, only after saying it.

There are two kinds of teams in the AFCW; The losers and the Broncos!!!

I Support our Troops!
                            How do you expect me to have a RED WHITE and BLUE sig when the background is obnoxious white?

Comment

wow...women talk too much and men think about sex.

Someone actually funded this research.

Whooda thunk it?
                              (Think very carefully, guys, before answering this question)
                              sigpic
                              Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                              -Sean Payton

Comment

Working...
                              X