Boy with leukemia sells ad space on his head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boy with leukemia sells ad space on his head

I thought this was really kind of touching.

An 11-year-old in Hillsborough County, Fla., who has lost his hair during chemotherapy treatments for Leukemia is selling advertising space on his head to raise money for the Bone Marrow Registry, according to Local 6 News.

Pat Pedraja said for the right price he will let someone post and ad on his head in hopes that it will help other people.

"(Leukemia) treatment kicks my butt and it makes me feel sad," Pedraja said. "But I want to be looking forward to something and knowing that I like knowing that I'm helping people."

Pedraia said he also has a special spot on his head for his favorite hockey player, Tampa Bay Lightning's Brad Richard.

The sixth-grader said many people have visited his Web site but there have been no bidders.

"I hope that people start bidding on it now, before it ends Dec. 6 and that's all I can hope for," Pedraja said. "Bidding will not only help you by advertising, it will also help save a bunch of lives."
    HEAR ME ROAR!
    sigpic
    Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Damn, that is touching. That kids got alot of courage. He's doing the right thing
    Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by SmithOverTO
      Damn, that is touching. That kids got alot of courage. He's doing the right thing
      I think what's really neat is that this kid isn't doing it to fund his own treatment, but for others as well.

While this may come off as a feelgood piece, I think it's a great bit of civic journalism that should result in a good cause getting support.
      HEAR ME ROAR!
      sigpic
      Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals
        I think what's really neat is that this kid isn't doing it to fund his own treatment, but for others as well.

While this may come off as a feelgood piece, I think it's a great bit of civic journalism that should result in a good cause getting support.

Its amazing the honesty and courage kids show when they're put through any ordeal.

Kids...the true enginma, not Russia
        Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

That is such a cool kid.

I supervised a 14-year-old girl for several months with
          Leukemia. She was great. She'd be working at another
          desk I set up just for her in my office (so she could get
          away from all the 'looks' from around the department),
          and we'd be working away. I'd take a little break, look
          up at her, she'd be taking off her baseball cap that was attached
          to about 2-feet of blonde hair, and rub her little bald
          head. I wanted to give her a hug, but that wouldn't
          have been too cool to do. She just had an amazing
          attitude, optimism, and had more common sense than
          most adults I knew. Amazing what you can learn from
          terminally ill kids. My daughter had met her when my daughter
          was about 8 years old. My daughter had the color of hair
          this girl was wearing for a wig, very bright blonde. My
          daughter decided to grow her hair out for "Wigs for Kids".
          She had it all cut off about 3 years ago and donated it.

Thanks WhoDey, great story.
          "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

Working...
          X