X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Family Update/Christmas Letter?!

WHY??

No Really WHY do people send these.
    I have received no less than half dozen of these thus far. One even from my Mother In Law! Like I need a full page letter of what you did this year? I could give a Shet less, not to mention if it was of any importance I'm sure your son would pass it on to me.

Can some one explain why people send out this bizarre, laser mass printed, brag book?

Why do I want to hear about where people vacationed or their embelished successes.

Don't you think if I gave a crap about little Johnny's grades in private school, or how he did in the spelling bee I may have called and asked? Why because its December & you sign some very long form letter "Wishing your family a Merry Christmas" that I have taken a sudden interest in the new boat you bought.

A personal note to out of town family you want to give a catch-up thinking of you card is one thing.

But these unannounced life summaries are too much.

(OK I'm done ranting now. )

I don't care for them myself too much either, M7, but
    I fear they are here to stay and still a growing idea.
    For some people, I stay in touch only once or twice a year,
    with a Christmas card included, and then I personalize my
    notes in those cards. I don't care for 'generic letters'.

Oh, you mean that trip to France, Italy, and we still had 18
    days left, so we decided to head down to Austrailia?
    Or, "My husband's fantastic, he surprised me with a Hummer
    for my birthday! How in the world can he top that for Christmas?
    But guess what.....he did!"

This threads a riot.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

Originally posted by Missin#7
      WHY??

No Really WHY do people send these.
      I have received no less than half dozen of these thus far. One even from my Mother In Law! Like I need a full page letter of what you did this year? I could give a Shet less, not to mention if it was of any importance I'm sure your son would pass it on to me.

Can some one explain why people send out this bizarre, laser mass printed, brag book?

Why do I want to hear about where people vacationed or their embelished successes.

Don't you think if I gave a crap about little Johnny's grades in private school, or how he did in the spelling bee I may have called and asked? Why because its December & you sign some very long form letter "Wishing your family a Merry Christmas" that I have taken a sudden interest in the new boat you bought.

A personal note to out of town family you want to give a catch-up thinking of you card is one thing.

But these unannounced life summaries are too much.

(OK I'm done ranting now. )
      It's funny you say that but from a perspective of person that is in sales and marketing.

Majority of the people in the world want to talk about themselves. They want attention. They want to feel warm and cozy. So if a person is like wow you have a nice car... it puts that smirk on there face. People like to feel like they are above everyone and have a big importance or center of attention if you must.

As for me I like to take andvantage of the situation (not this one in general) and that's why there is the ABC's

Always be closing

Because more they are talking the more they are buying

Comment

Hey, M7....I read this article before and giggled a bit...
        passing it on to you now!

http://www.newcoolthang.com/index.ph...s-letters/179/
        "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Comment

I think they are ok from friends or distant relatives who you don't have alot of contact with thru the year, but not close family members, as you usually know what they are doing most of the time anyways.

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

Originally posted by His Wife
            Hey, M7....I read this article before and giggled a bit...
            passing it on to you now!

http://www.newcoolthang.com/index.ph...s-letters/179/
            OH thats good & True!

And I have to say I got a 2 page small font letter from someone yesterday.
            2 FULL PAGES. I read the first paragraph & it was talking about Preident Bush & the war, etc......

So I tossed. Seriously I do not want to hear your political views, especially do not "Mask" it in a "Christmas Letter"

Comment

Since I don't know any of you let me fill you in on whats been going on this year. In January I had worst day the year,losing to that team from Pittsburgh. In Febuary work sent me to Hawai, unfortunatly I was to sick to attend. During the Summer they hired some hot shot kid out of college who pressured me for my job all the way thru Thanksgiving. Well as you guessed, I had to take a demotion shortly after and the company hasn't done so well, hopefully we'll rebound. Do not respond because I don't know how long I'll be @ this address. Have a happy new year.

Love,Jake
              sigpichttp://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/...psd7355151.png

Comment

Originally posted by Watson 81
                Since I don't know any of you let me fill you in on whats been going on this year. In January I had worst day the year,losing to that team from Pittsburgh. In Febuary work sent me to Hawai, unfortunatly I was to sick to attend. During the Summer they hired some hot shot kid out of college who pressured me for my job all the way thru Thanksgiving. Well as you guessed, I had to take a demotion shortly after and the company hasn't done so well, hopefully we'll rebound. Do not respond because I don't know how long I'll be @ this address. Have a happy new year.

Love,Jake

Strange, when I read this, I didn't know if I should laugh or cry.

There are two kinds of teams in the AFCW; The losers and the Broncos!!!

I Support our Troops!
                How do you expect me to have a RED WHITE and BLUE sig when the background is obnoxious white?

Comment

Originally posted by Day1BroncoFan
                  Strange, when I read this, I didn't know if I should laugh or cry.
                  me neither
                  sigpichttp://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/...psd7355151.png

Comment

Originally posted by Watson 81

Love,Jake

OOOOOOHHH! I shouldn't laugh because I miss him so much,
                    But it did make me giggle.

Comment

Originally posted by Missin#7
                      OH thats good & True!

And I have to say I got a 2 page small font letter from someone yesterday.
                      2 FULL PAGES. I read the first paragraph & it was talking about Preident Bush & the war, etc......

So I tossed. Seriously I do not want to hear your political views, especially do not "Mask" it in a "Christmas Letter"
                      I'm completely with you on that, very poor taste to mix Christmas with
                      politics, and it's such a dangerous subject for a time of 'peace'.

Comment

We receive several of these each year and as noted, it seems to be a growing fad. My Aunt goes as far as posting pictures in hers which is OK but I don't want to hear about my cousins baby's potty training.
                        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69
                          We receive several of these each year and as noted, it seems to be a growing fad. My Aunt goes as far as posting pictures in hers which is OK but I don't want to hear about my cousins baby's potty training.
                          Ugh B69. I'd just prefer a card with a short personal note, and
                          then if they want to throw in a picture...I'd love it. I think the deal
                          on these letters....they are rather lazy....production-wise. They
                          are more thoughtful of the one printing them out in a mass production
                          than they are for those who receive them. They are cold and have
                          no personal touch whatsoever. You just feel 'less special' I think
                          when receiving them, so I'd rather not get them at all. I was brought
                          up that a form-letter was not good etiquette and that was for business,
                          not personal correspondence.

Comment

Working...
                          X