Survival Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survival Tip

The death of James Kim is a tragedy. To think of those he has left behind, saddens me. I am not trying to poke fun at the situation, just trying to bring some people to light. Here goes.

When you find yourself lost in the wilderness, and are afraid that you will become victim to the elements, do this. SET THE DAMN WOODS ON FIRE! Smoke can be seen for miles and miles away, and they'll come a runnin'. Sure they will probably give you all kinds of fines maybe, but you'll be alive. If you don't have any matches, rub two sticks together or something just to get flame, than burn away. People seem to get stranded every year out west. Last year it was a videographer and his chick. Everytime I here these stories, I get irritated. Anyone else have some sure fire survival tips?
    Last edited by WI Fan; 12-15-2006, 07:36 AM.

Survival tip, watch Man vs Nature tonight...

The guy will show you how to make rafts, weapons, temprary houses, what to
    eat, what not to eat, how to find water just about anywhere.
    Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

Originally posted by WI Fan
      The death of James Kim is a tragedy. To think of those he has left behind, saddens me. I am not trying to poke fun at the situation, just trying to bring some people to light. Here goes.

When you find yourself lost in the wilderness, and are afraid that you will become victim to the elements, do this. SET THE DAMN WOODS ON FIRE! Smoke can be seen for miles and miles away, and they'll come a runnin'. Sure they will probably give you all kinds of fines maybe, but you'll be alive. If you don't have any matches, rub two sticks together or something just to get flame, than burn away. People seem to get stranded every year out west. Last year it was a videographer and his chick. Everytime I here these stories, I get irritated. Anyone else have some sure fire survival tips?
      There's always the very real possibility that you would kill yourself in such a fire. If you're lost and at the mercy of the elements, the forest fire would likely spread and catch you unless you had a safe place to hide from the fire. And if you had such a safe place, you'd be better off starting your fire in a controlled area where you could stay warm and think of another plan.
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by GridironChamp
        Survival tip, watch Man vs Nature tonight...

The guy will show you how to make rafts, weapons, temprary houses, what to
        eat, what not to eat, how to find water just about anywhere.

Or Surviviorman! That's a great show on one of the Discovery channels. This guy, Les Stroud is dropped off somewhere remote for seven days, and left to his wits with a multi-tool, and bare essentials. Usually NOT including food or water.

Great show!
        He even did a show on almost exactly this situation recently, as well as one on how to deal with Katrina type situations.

Javalon is right. A forest fire, while it would bring attention, would also INCREASE your risk. Even experienced firefighters get killed by forest fires.

Stroud's idea for this situation was to take the spare tire and remove the wheel. Then you siphon a small bit of gasoline and pour it into the open tire, placed AWAY from your car, lol.

Then light it! He used sparks from the car's battery and jumper cables to do so. The smoke from the burning rubber was more than enough to draw attention as long as your not TOO far from civilization.

Often though, your too far away for ANY signal to help you, and you have to make it TO help. That means building shelters along the way, finding sources of food and water, and keeping moving.

Comment

Originally posted by WI Fan

Find a large, open area.....take the largest branches you can muster up and spell out S O S in the field....FIRST DO THAT.

Build an area that is out of the wind with pine branches, stacking/criss-crossing, and try to have an area of protection. Otherwise, they recommend tunneling into the snow, not much larger than your own body to conserve body heat.

Food source next.

I'm with you on building a fire or putting a few trees on fire.....

Turn on your cell phone about 8-10 hours after you know you are lost. Giving time to the search crew before wasting your battery. Maybe only leave on for 30 minutes or 60 mins at a time every so often throughout the day.

If you are going to wander, leave signs or marks in the trees, as you go along, so you can find your way back to your SOS sign and shelter. You may be trying to find a road. Watch the sun, be aware of the time of day. Moss grows on the northside of trees to help you with your direction orientation.

You will have to put your SOS in shelter if it starts to snow heavy again, otherwise it will get covered up by probably deep, heavy snow....protect the SOS at all cost.

Hope you don't get lost to begin with.
          "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

A very tragic story - I didnt know they found his body - I was home sick the day they found his family - At that time I kinda figured he may have passed - such a shame because they burned the tires at night when they werent searching for them - had they burned the tires after the first day or two during the day they may have been found earlier

Such a shame and tragedy - that poor family - my prayers are with them -

there was a sign on that road that said it was NOT MAINTAINED during the winter months - People need to start to READ road signs - its something that no one seems to do anymore - i see people totally ignore road signs (esp merge or lane ends) several times a day - I wonder if people think those signs are for decoration or something -

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
              Or Surviviorman! That's a great show on one of the Discovery channels. This guy, Les Stroud is dropped off somewhere remote for seven days, and left to his wits with a multi-tool, and bare essentials. Usually NOT including food or water.

Great show!
              He even did a show on almost exactly this situation .

Stroud's idea for this situation was to take the spare tire and remove the wheel. Then you siphon a small bit of gasoline and pour it into the open tire, placed AWAY from your car, lol.

Then light it! He used sparks from the car's battery and jumper cables to do so. The smoke from the burning rubber was more than enough to draw attention as long as your not TOO far from civilization.

Often though, your too far away for ANY signal to help you, and you have to make it TO help. That means building shelters along the way, finding sources of food and water, and keeping moving.
              That was a good show, He showed you how to use the car seat covers for snow boots and a parka type head cover. Also told you to take quite a bit of the wireing for tying sticks for shelter, making a snare to catch food or whatever. Take a hubcap if it will hold water, or use to melt snow in. But they generally recomend that youstay with your vehicle if possible, it will give you some shelter, and if you keep it clear of snow it has good reflectability. making it easier to spot.

Also, they say to not ration your food and water. Don't inhale all your food right away, but if your hungry eat. And drink whatever water you need. Your body will survive longer if it is hydrated. If you get dehyrated it will take more water and energy to try to survive.

MOST IMPORTANT THING IS KEEP CALM
              sigpic sig by Vulcan thanx buddy

Comment

Todays Man Vs Wild show is about him getting trapped in Africa.

And guess what he has to do to get water?

Squeeze all the elephant poo and drink the water from it!!!!

I am definitely not missing this today.

The show has actually become one of my favorites over the week now that Heroes is on a break till next year.

Comment

I found this whole web site of survival stuff.

It's sad that he died, an article I read said if he would have stayed put he would have survived. I understand they burned the tires on the car, if no one seen that, they probably wouldn't have seen any kind of fire.

There are two kinds of teams in the AFCW; The losers and the Broncos!!!

I Support our Troops!
                  How do you expect me to have a RED WHITE and BLUE sig when the background is obnoxious white?

Comment

Originally posted by Day1BroncoFan
                    I found this whole web site of survival stuff.

It's sad that he died, an article I read said if he would have stayed put he would have survived. I understand they burned the tires on the car, if no one seen that, they probably wouldn't have seen any kind of fire.

It is my understanding that they burned the tires at night only - and the rescue team stated they did not search at night due to the conditions of the area

Comment

Working...
                    X