Decision time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decision time

As many of you know, I'm a poor college student trying to make money while I get through school so I can get a good career as a journalist.

Last week, I started a job working in a call center as a sales rep for a major satellite TV provider. When I interviewed for the position, I was told a lot of things, mainly that I would be making good money if I'm a good salesperson.

I'm now considering walking out the door right now. Just picking up my things and leaving.

They lied. They lied about the amount of call volume this place gets. They lied about the average close rates for the call center. They lied about the numbers, period. The computer system they use sucks. It's web-based, and it loses information at critical times. The phone system drops calls. The supervisors are useless. The facility is crappy and dirty. This place is miserable.

Now, two part question:

One, should I just leave, or should I continue to stick it out? I've only been here a week, and I already dread walking into the building.

Two, what should I do if I quit? I need part-time work and fast cash - I'm thinking about delivering pizzas or something stupid like that.

Soooooo mad.
    HEAR ME ROAR!
    sigpic
    Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Oh, wow. That really sucks, WhoDey.

Quitting before Christmas is really hard. I guess take a look at your bills, see what needs to be paid quickly and is due soon, how much you have in your account to get by for a bit.

Check out the classifieds, see what part-time you would like. If there is nothing, stick it out for a bit. But I'd think a large city like Cincy would have some part time work available all the time.

Nothing worse than jumping out of the frypan and right into the fire.

Or...you can just be a HUGE slacker at work, play on the internet all day and not answer the phone See how long they will let you hang around.
    sigpic
    Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton

Comment

Just get on the corner and start makin that bank!

but seriously, the First week I worked at this Job I'm at now, The only word I can use to describe the state of things would be "cluster-****"

but I stuck it out, and it's getting better.

stick with it, bro. at least for a bit longer. you are working at the busiest damn time of the year, so give it a chance.

If you take what I have to say seriously, then I'm embarrassed for you.

Comment

Maybe give it until the end of the year and if it still sucks pack it in then. It should be easier to find an altenative job once Christmas is past.

Comment

Do not quit.

First, continue to work until you find a better job. (Especially during the holidays....not a big hiring time.) We all need money coming in to pay our bills. When you find something else you are satisfied with, then you can leave.

I remember how it was being in college. College students who are on their own have historically been poor. I was one of them. However, if you endure the struggle, everything will get better after graduation and a good career. Stay the course.

The only thing I would tell you to quit is being a bengal fan, but you wouldn't listen to good advice anyways.

Best wishes on your decision Whodey. Keep us informed.

If you are paid commission (based on your calls and sales) then you need to hit the road Jack! With no call volumes.
          Last edited by Emancipator; 12-18-2006, 11:46 AM.
          Emancipate your mind!
          The People's Poster

Comment

I've been here over 3 hours already.

I've taken ZERO calls.

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and get a tip-based job.

Also, I'm getting the feeling that if I worked here during school, I'd have zero life. None. Nada.

Screw this.
            HEAR ME ROAR!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals
              I've been here over 3 hours already.

I've taken ZERO calls.

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and get a tip-based job.

Also, I'm getting the feeling that if I worked here during school, I'd have zero life. None. Nada.

Screw this.

Glad to see you thought it through.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncofan-13
                Glad to see you thought it through.
                Oh, I'm just SO pissed right now.

No calls = no money anyway. The way that this place is set up is a joke.
                HEAR ME ROAR!
                sigpic

Comment

Oh, I'm just SO pissed right now.

No calls = no money anyway. The way that this place is set up is a joke.

wait.... your income is based on your calls?

get outta there man.

Comment

If you are unhappy in what sounds like a miserable situation, then you want to look elsewhere immediately. I think you should wait until after the New Year's holiday when things start to calm down.

You are probably not receiving any calls due to the fact that everyone is gearing up for big holiday weekend and people are spending their money at the malls or for their travel plans.

Sorry to hear you are not enjoying the job WhoDey. Best of luck to you in what ever you decide.
                    :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

wait.... your income is based on your calls?

get outta there man.
                      Yep. And yep.

G'bye, crap job.
                      HEAR ME ROAR!
                      sigpic

Comment

Yep. And yep.

G'bye, crap job.

*drives down the street in downtown cinci*

Whodey- "lookin for a good time, sweetcheeks?"

daf%$!

Comment

*drives down the street in downtown cinci*

Whodey- "lookin for a good time, sweetcheeks?"

daf%$!

WhoDey, that job sounds like crap. Even being a pizza delivery guy is better.
                          sigpic

Comment

I'd think twice about just walking out WhoDey.

The job may suck, but they did give you the chance at least. You at least owe them notice of some kind.

Plus that will look alot better on applications in the future. No prospective employer is going to look favorably on you when you just walk out on a previous employer.

Even if such notice is a few days.

Many employers these days do extensive background searches on prospective employees. Just because you dont put this job on an application doesnt mean they wont find out about it in the future.

Walking out on this job could hurt your chances in the future for a job you really want.

Talk to your boss.

Comment

As many of you know, I'm a poor college student trying to make money while I get through school so I can get a good career as a journalist.

Last week, I started a job working in a call center as a sales rep for a major satellite TV provider. When I interviewed for the position, I was told a lot of things, mainly that I would be making good money if I'm a good salesperson.

I'm now considering walking out the door right now. Just picking up my things and leaving.

They lied. They lied about the amount of call volume this place gets. They lied about the average close rates for the call center. They lied about the numbers, period. The computer system they use sucks. It's web-based, and it loses information at critical times. The phone system drops calls. The supervisors are useless. The facility is crappy and dirty. This place is miserable.

Now, two part question:

One, should I just leave, or should I continue to stick it out? I've only been here a week, and I already dread walking into the building.

Two, what should I do if I quit? I need part-time work and fast cash - I'm thinking about delivering pizzas or something stupid like that.

Soooooo mad.
                              I'd stick it out 2-3 more days, and in that time, come in a little late or leave a little early and use your lunch time to find another position. It almost sounds like ANYTHING would be better than that. You won't be productive staying there, so you might as well be looking around intensively for the next couple of days. Delivering pizzas can be okay money and fast cash in the pocket....but it would not be money you can 'bank' on for bills and deadlines....as it's as needed only. But...WhoDey...I've been in the position you have right now, act fast, save your own soul and get the heck out of there ASAP. You will not be happy hanging out an hour longer there than necessary. Best of luck to you. Dominos and now Pizza Hut are doing that 3 pizzas for $15.00....maybe they'd be the busiest of all. WhoDey....I can't stand employers like that. There's nothing you can do but move-on ASAP!
                              "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

Working...
                              X