Decision time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JWinn
    I'd think twice about just walking out WhoDey.

The job may suck, but they did give you the chance at least. You at least owe them notice of some kind.

Plus that will look alot better on applications in the future. No prospective employer is going to look favorably on you when you just walk out on a previous employer.

Even if such notice is a few days.

Many employers these days do extensive background searches on prospective employees. Just because you dont put this job on an application doesnt mean they wont find out about it in the future.

Walking out on this job could hurt your chances in the future for a job you really want.

Talk to your boss.
    JWinn, it's doubtfull anybody would ever know he worked there, unless he shows them on a resume, or lists them as a reference. No pay, equals no showing up in credit reporting.
    If you're going to quit a job, it's best to do it the first week....no record of your ever being there if you haven't got a paycheck.
    I used to sell electrics, satellite systems, back when they were 5' and up. Once they went to the mini-dish, I said adios-amigos. No money to be had, as a salesman. An installer could make pretty good cash, though....there's a thought, whodey....unless you're colorblind, and have two left-hands.
    Good luck....
    [COLOR=Red]"This is a nation - not a polyglot boarding house. There is not room in the country for any 50-50 Americans, nor can there be but one loyalty - to the Stars and Stripes.
    May 27, 1918
    Col. Roosevelt[/COLOR
    ]

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
      CArdinal rule.

NEVER QUIT A JOB UNLESS YOU HAVE ANOTHER ONE.

It looks bad, and there is no guarantee you will get another one.

At the very least, you could get temp work at the mall, UPS, etc for Xmas while looking for other work over your school break.

And my brother dlelivered pizzas through college. He bought a house before I did and now manages three Domino's locations for the franchise ownership company.

There are worse jobs out there.
      Since when is sitting at a desk with a phone that doesn't ring, earning NOTHING, called having a job? hahahaha

He should give THEM a bill for wasting his time, imo. :rockon

P.S. Way to go, whodey! Good job! *pun intended*
      Last edited by bocefus; 12-18-2006, 07:47 PM.
      [COLOR=Red]"This is a nation - not a polyglot boarding house. There is not room in the country for any 50-50 Americans, nor can there be but one loyalty - to the Stars and Stripes.
      May 27, 1918
      Col. Roosevelt[/COLOR
      ]

Comment

Originally posted by bocefus
        JWinn, it's doubtfull anybody would ever know he worked there, unless he shows them on a resume, or lists them as a reference. No pay, equals no showing up in credit reporting.
        If you're going to quit a job, it's best to do it the first week....no record of your ever being there if you haven't got a paycheck.
        I used to sell electrics, satellite systems, back when they were 5' and up. Once they went to the mini-dish, I said adios-amigos. No money to be had, as a salesman. An installer could make pretty good cash, though....there's a thought, whodey....unless you're colorblind, and have two left-hands.
        Good luck....
        Again, for the THIRD time, that just isnt realistic! You need to stop looking at this from an EMPLOYEE'S perspective, and think of how todays EMPLOYERS go about searching for workers.

Today, they do extensive background searches. They look for criminal records, and again , if you fill out the proper form on your first day, then there WILL BE a record of you working at a place. As long as it's legitimate, ya know?

Do you think people put criminal records on a resume? Yet they still find it.

If such a record exists, they will find it! As long as your not looking for a job delivering papers or some other teenage job. But for any real CAREER position, you can expect an employer to run such checks, and pick the very best candidate he possibly can.

Why give yourself a bad mark that can come back to hurt you if you can avoid that?

Just because the current boss screws you means you should screw yourself?

Anyway, WhoDey? I'm glad you got this sorted out, and found a new job. :thumb:

Comment

I know I chimed in on this one a little late WhoDey (since you already found a job) but if the sandwich thing doesn't work out you should look into Starbucks. They usually pay above minimum wage, the tips are more than decent, and every student or single Mom or whoever I've ever known who has worked there say they are great about working around your schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals
            Well, I waited until the end of the shift to do it, but I walked up to the supervisor on duty and expressed my displeasure with the situation. I told her what the hiring manager had told me when I was going through the interview process, and pointed out that what I had been promised had not been delivered. I then told her that it wasn't going to work out, and thanks for the time.

With that, I was out the door.

Suffice to say, my illustrious tenure as a satellite system salesman will not be making an appearance on my resume.

By the way: not one call the entire shift. Bullcrap, says I. I'm resisting the impulse to call the company's headquarters to relay my experience to the head cheese.

Also by the way: I already have another job. :thumb:
            good for you Whodey

What type of job is the new one
            NHL Blog at:NHL Blog by Medford Bronco!

Comment

As many of you know, I'm a poor college student trying to make money while I get through school so I can get a good career as a journalist.

Last week, I started a job working in a call center as a sales rep for a major satellite TV provider. When I interviewed for the position, I was told a lot of things, mainly that I would be making good money if I'm a good salesperson.

I'm now considering walking out the door right now. Just picking up my things and leaving.

They lied. They lied about the amount of call volume this place gets. They lied about the average close rates for the call center. They lied about the numbers, period. The computer system they use sucks. It's web-based, and it loses information at critical times. The phone system drops calls. The supervisors are useless. The facility is crappy and dirty. This place is miserable.

Now, two part question:

One, should I just leave, or should I continue to stick it out? I've only been here a week, and I already dread walking into the building.

Two, what should I do if I quit? I need part-time work and fast cash - I'm thinking about delivering pizzas or something stupid like that.

Soooooo mad.
              Hey WhoDey...

May be I'm late but here is my point :
              --> Never quit a job until you have something else (at least some opportunities).
              --> try to find something else...
              --> try to focus on the positive (money in that case) to be able to bear the situation...
              --> try to find something else fast... (did I mention that before ? )

I have a question though : Do you earn some money even if you don't sale? Or is it all about your sales?

Anyway... I wish you will find something better soon... That sucks man...
              Just talk slowly please... I'm French

GO BRONCOS

(Sig made by Snk16)

(thousands of bisous for Thundergirl, une fille du tonnerre !!!)

My adoptee-a-fan are THE GIRLIES :kiss:

Comment

Well, I waited until the end of the shift to do it, but I walked up to the supervisor on duty and expressed my displeasure with the situation. I told her what the hiring manager had told me when I was going through the interview process, and pointed out that what I had been promised had not been delivered. I then told her that it wasn't going to work out, and thanks for the time.

With that, I was out the door.

Suffice to say, my illustrious tenure as a satellite system salesman will not be making an appearance on my resume.

By the way: not one call the entire shift. Bullcrap, says I. I'm resisting the impulse to call the company's headquarters to relay my experience to the head cheese.

Also by the way: I already have another job. :thumb:
                Yep... I was late...

Great news my friend ! :clap:
                Just talk slowly please... I'm French

GO BRONCOS

(Sig made by Snk16)

(thousands of bisous for Thundergirl, une fille du tonnerre !!!)

My adoptee-a-fan are THE GIRLIES :kiss:

Comment

Working...
                X