Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nomad Broncofan
    replied
    I'm far from being a biologist but I do volunteer my time with Ducks Unlimited and Delta Waterfowl, and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express and what I understand is alot of the diseases are natural occurances that has been happening for thousands of years.

Leave a comment:

• 2 Minute Warning
    replied
    Actually there has been a Bird flu going around for several years I think.
    My Husband works for Fish and WildLife...........the Fish part but we are aware of what's going on elsewhere too.

Leave a comment:

• Nomad Broncofan
    replied
    Originally posted by His Wife
    And for ONLY ducks too.

Due to my lack of computer knowledge, I was unsuccesful in getting this article here. I do have the website for your interest.

http://www.ducks.org/Conservation/Wa...lDiseases.html

I hope this helps you better understand the diseases!

Leave a comment:

• His Wife
    replied
    Originally posted by Nomad Broncofan
    Yes, but usually these kind of things happen during the summer when the weather is warm to hot and the bacteria or fungus or whatever the cause has the right climate to grow. It is really odd to hear of this many ducks dying at one time because of natural causes. It would be really interested what the wildlife biologists find out. Pollutes may have gotten into the creek at that time. Again it is really odd to see this.
    And for ONLY ducks too.

Leave a comment:

• Nomad Broncofan
    replied
    Have you heard of this before, outside of the avian illness though?

Yes, but usually these kind of things happen during the summer when the weather is warm to hot and the bacteria or fungus or whatever the cause has the right climate to grow. It is really odd to hear of this many ducks dying at one time because of natural causes. It would be really interested what the wildlife biologists find out. Pollutes may have gotten into the creek at that time. Again it is really odd to see this.

Leave a comment:

• NameUsedBefore
    replied
    No, which is why I made the assumption. Strange things are happening that aren't in the nature of, well, nature.

Leave a comment:

• His Wife
    replied
    Originally posted by Nomad Broncofan
    I think it's too cold for this, but when we lived in Utah I remember one year there was a bad outbreak of avain botulism at the Bear River Refuge. I believe this is a summer time event, because it needs warm to hot temperatures. As a duck hunter, I do find this sad because of the large number dying at one time.
    Have you heard of this before, outside of the avian illness though?

Leave a comment:

• NameUsedBefore
    replied
    In my serious, and non-political, take on this... I believe global-warming may have played a part in some fashion or another. Maybe not the actual killer, but a catalyst of sorts (which is more than enough, obviously). Alot of strange behaviors and events in nature (both weather and animal) have happened in the last 30-years unlike anything before them and I can't help thinking this just may be another.

Leave a comment:

• Nomad Broncofan
    replied
    I think it's too cold for this, but when we lived in Utah I remember one year there was a bad outbreak of avain botulism at the Bear River Refuge. I believe this is a summer time event, because it needs warm to hot temperatures. As a duck hunter, I do find this sad because of the large number dying at one time.

Leave a comment:

• SmithOverTO
    replied
    That is a sad story, B69. I heard that on the news yesterday.
    Only Mallards too, no other birds (like the eagles, etc) are
    showing any signs of distress, but actually thriving.

Can you imagine having to pick up thousands of dead birds?

I was once volunteered to clean up an oil slick in Alaska. I imagine it was much of the same, minus the oil.

Leave a comment:

• His Wife
    replied
    That is a sad story, B69. I heard that on the news yesterday.
    Only Mallards too, no other birds (like the eagles, etc) are
    showing any signs of distress, but actually thriving.

Can you imagine having to pick up thousands of dead birds?

Leave a comment:

• 2 Minute Warning
    replied
    Just trying to help/Birds are very sensitive

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69

An Idaho hunter called state conservation officials Friday to alert them to a few dead mallards along a creek near Burley. By Wednesday, more than 2,000 ducks littered the banks. Experts are saying it is unlikely the deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu was involved.
    "We think the possibility of avian flu is very remote but we're not ruling anything out at this point in time," said the Idaho Department of Fish and Game regional supervisor Dave Parish. "We want to make sure all the bases are covered."

On Wednesday, fish and game officials, along with Bureau of Homeland Security officers, gathered the dead birds from the banks. The carcasses will be incinerated, said wildlife managers. State veterinarians reported that their preliminary findings suggest a bacterial infection was responsible for the mass deaths, and Kathryn Converse of the U.S. Geological Survey's National Wildlife Health Center said it was unlikely insecticides were responsible, because other bird species and animals that have fed on duck carcasses are not affected.

Mallards tend to congregate in the winter, when the waterways they rely on become frozen, and urban development and growing farmlands are exacerbating the situation. Officials said that when migratory birds -- and other animals -- gather together in small areas, they are more likely to get sick, although Parrish noted that this was the first time the area had seen anything like this.

The most recent event even close to the Idaho deaths was an incident that took place in Iowa in 2005. According to records from the wildlife health center, a fungus growing on moldy grain was responsible for the death of some 500 ducks in the town of Waterloo.

http://www.newstarget.com/021309.html
    That's sad. Could have been perhaps maybe prevented.
    Yes moldy food can kill them, and people often wonder why Hummingbirds don't come to their feeders in the summer well you need to give them fresh food every so often, it gets old and can make them sick for example.
    And for seed feeders you need to make sure especially afters rains or snow melts ect to not let food sit in water, it's gets moldy quick.
    We gets lots of Ducks(100-200 sometimes) when the nearby lake freezes over, we have 2 ponds with running water so it doesn't freeze(Fish hatchery stuff I won't bore you lol.)
    Our weather has been warm enough so far they haven't had to move in here YET this year.
    I love it when they do we feed the cracked corn and Duck food, come Spring when waters open they leave.
    And usually a pair stays around to nest and have little ones.

Leave a comment:

• SyxxSynse
    replied
    Wow, that sucks.

Poor ducks.

Leave a comment:

• NameUsedBefore
    replied
    If I've learned anything from Hollywood, we should brace ourselves for a mega-volcano

Leave a comment:

• BroncoManiac_69
    replied
    Originally posted by Lorcust
    Doesn't Jake Plummer come from Idaho?
    That was so wrong Lorcust

Leave a comment:

Working...
X