Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

52 New Species Found in the Lost Jungle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 New Species Found in the Lost Jungle!

Science & technologyJungle secrets:
    52 new species found in Borneo's 'Lost World'
    By JULIE WHELDON
    Last updated at 17:49pm on 19th December 2006

More than 50 new species of animals and plants that have
    never been seen before have been discovered in a 'Lost World'
    on the island of Borneo in just 18 months, say scientists.

Click on this link, within the story, there is a Gallery you
    can click on to see pictures of all the news species found
    in this jungle that they have started to give names to!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1965
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

And I thought we knew all about this world!

That's pretty darn cool!
    Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

it was supposed to saty lost!

now the bulldozers are gonna come
      Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation
        it was supposed to saty lost!

now the bulldozers are gonna come
        Since it's an island, possibly not, plus....maybe they
        will put it under protection right away. I need to find a
        photo to place here of that island.

Yet, isn't it cool that we get yet another reminder
        that we don't know what all the wildlife is here yet?
        I think that's exciting!
        "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Comment

Well....it's a part of Malaysia. May be a bit volatile?
          Photos of Sabah.

http://www.molon.de/galleries/Malaysia/Sabah/

Comment

just think about all the species in the ocean that we dont know about
            Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Yeah this is really just the tip of the iceberg for the unknowns. Not to mention we're still not entirely sure about everything on one of the biggest hubs of thought on this planet: our own brain.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
              - Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by NameUsedBefore
                Yeah this is really just the tip of the iceberg for the unknowns. Not to mention we're still not entirely sure about everything on one of the biggest hubs of thought on this planet: our own brain.

And then there is the univerese itself...talk about overwhelming

Comment

Quite so. I am of the belief that we are only on the first step of the actual word 'discovery'. I believe there is more out there than just atoms, things that can actually go smaller, and smaller, to the point where we realize that life itself isn't exactly what we perceive it (and nothing is how we perceive it when we first come to it), and that at that point we may have an answer. I also think that our brains will become a much, much more powerful tool if we are allowed to evolve appropriately (aka, avoiding self-destruction). Sometimes I wonder if our brains are already connected (although very weakly); how many times can you go, "Hey, I was gonna say that!" When someone says what you were just thinking? And the powerful images our brains can create when influenced by drugs (hey) that you could never even hope to conceive without them makes you wonder if our brains are being held back.

Bah, quite overwhelming.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
                  - Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by NameUsedBefore
                    Quite so. I am of the belief that we are only on the first step of the actual word 'discovery'. I believe there is more out there than just atoms, things that can actually go smaller, and smaller, to the point where we realize that life itself isn't exactly what we perceive it (and nothing is how we perceive it when we first come to it), and that at that point we may have an answer. I also think that our brains will become a much, much more powerful tool if we are allowed to evolve appropriately (aka, avoiding self-destruction). Sometimes I wonder if our brains are sometimes connected; how many times can you go, "Hey, I was gonna say that!" When someone says what you were just thinking. And the powerful images our brains can create when influenced by drugs (hey) that you could never even hope to conceive without them makes you wonder if our brains are beind held back.

Bah, quite overwhelming.
                    I completely agree with you. I'd also like to add that when we hear of a discovery or a scientific discovery....we must pause and not take it as the 'end all', as science is constantly evolving and history has shown that what once scientists thought was fact years ago, continually is being challenged and changed. Science is simply a group of scientists who come to an agreement at 'this so-called point', and it's not the end of the story, it's just another chapter of discovery or understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by His Wife
                      I completely agree with you. I'd also like to add that when we hear of a discovery or a scientific discovery....we must pause and not take it as the 'end all', as science is constantly evolving and history has shown that what once scientists thought was fact years ago, continually is being challenged and changed. Science is simply a group of scientists who come to an agreement at 'this so-called point', and it's not the end of the story, it's just another chapter of discovery or understanding.

Just so. Which is why science label even their hardest, most solid facts "theories"

Comment

the next *** **** pokemon? wow that is some freaky stuff.
                        wow, this just makes me wanna go to random Islands and stuff....

Comment

Working...
                        X