No announcement yet.

Job Interview Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the interview I think went really well... The company is based in Boulder, and if you don't know anything about Boulder, everything is more laid back and less formal in that town... Which is sort of what I'm looking for. I'm looking to get away from the rigidity of my current job... People were walking around in jeans (which sort of made me feel overdressed in my suit, but he said that was his bad and that he should have let me know that it was semi-casual if I wanted to, and actually told me story about one of his first interviews out of college that was at a starbucks and he showed up in a suit and the interviewers had on flip-flops... So he put me at ease a little with that- and I would much rather be overdressed than underdressed.)

The position also peaked my interest because it centers around their website and managing all things online. He also said this is a brand new position he has created and I would essentially be taking over many of his tasks to free him up for larger issues. I think some experience in that field could be very valuable as I build my resume.

The interview itself was very laid back compared to some of the others I've been to. He didn't run down 3 pages of questions as some other interviews I've been in. He asked me about my current position, my other experience, some of my skills etc.- but I never really got that question that threw me for a loop as in some other interviews...

The most unique question I encountered was "How would your friends describe you?" I talked about my sense of humor, my laid back nature, but also pointed out that I've got a relentless work ethic and am a straight shooter & honest, sometimes to a fault.

By the end of the interview he was telling me about how they just took last Friday off to go snowboarding, and how they have a pretty tight knit team of 6 or 7 that I would be working around- it really felt like we were just making conversation, rather than having a real structured interview.

And Whodey, I asked about his management style-he talked about how he's only 30 and hasn't been in "management" for all that long, and said he's really looking for someone who doesn't need to be managed all that much and will fit in with the team without too much guidance. So that seemed refreshing to me...

I tried to incorporate a little bit of everyone's advice... So tomorrow I'll be sending him some writing samples that he asked for via email, and then I will probably call a couple hours later just to confirm he got the samples, and also to thank him for the interview.

All in all, I left feeling pretty confident about how things went.

... Soooo the day was going great until I got back to my current job, and had a falling out with the current boss and pretty much submitted my resignation. Buuut thats a whole other story all together. Now I really hope things work out with this other company...

Thanks to everyone for your words of wisdom and encouragement, much appreciated. I'll keep you all posted. Cross your fingers.

Comment

Well, I'm happy to hear that it went well. Did you find out how many other candidates he was interviewing?

I'm sorry to hear about the falling out, by the way. Did you walk out the door, or what? If you can smooth it over then do so. You don't want to leave your current job if you don't have to just yet. Make sure you get this other thing in the bag first.

Good luck!
      HEAR ME ROAR!
      sigpic
      Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Sounds good Buff-bronc-fan, and fingers are crossed!!!!!!

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals
          Well, I'm happy to hear that it went well. Did you find out how many other candidates he was interviewing?

I'm sorry to hear about the falling out, by the way. Did you walk out the door, or what? If you can smooth it over then do so. You don't want to leave your current job if you don't have to just yet. Make sure you get this other thing in the bag first.

Good luck!
          Nah, I mean my boss and I haven't really seen eye to eye for months... We have good days and bad... And I've just been so fed up with her lately that I've virtually eliminated all pleasantries. So, needless to say, I think she's picked up on the fact that I am not happy, and somehow she figured out that I was at a job interview today (even though I only told them I had an appointment and have no idea how she could have figured things out.)

So she came to me before closing time and gave me an ultimatum that I need to figure out "whether I'm in or I'm out." And after a brief pause, I said, well, I guess I'm out then... So we're still gonna leave on fairly amicable terms, and it won't end in termination, but when I was talking about finishing out the final two weeks, I got the impression that she wants me out sooner rather than later. It's a really complicated situation, and I'm very relieved it's coming to an end, but even the manner in which things are ending is adding plenty of stress to my life...

I think my plan is to bring her an official letter of resignation tomorrow, and highlight all the positive things I have gotten from the job (without laying it on too thick and coming off as fake)... Let her know I will finish out my 2 weeks, and if she doesn't want me to, what can I do ya know?

Ohhh and btw, I didn't find out how many other candidates there were... But he did say they were looking to fill the position ASAP, so hopefully I'll get an answer sooner rather than later.
          Last edited by Buff_bronc_fan; 01-17-2007, 09:38 PM.

Comment

I hope this turns out to be something that will suit you. Its hard to leave a job.
            I kicked the idea around for about 5 or 6 months before I finally decided and told them.My boss was such a difficult person.Her and I never saw eye to eye even
            tho the effort and work I did actually made her look good.

I do all the work and she gets all the credit as far as when bonus time came around.But you are young and you have a degree and that will take you far.

I am glad to be away from that job,I was extremely busy all the time,which I didnt mind to a point,but then they get ridiculous in their expectatons.

anyway enough of that...this thread is about you....so LOTS OF LUCK!!!
            Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

[QUOTE=KCLadyFan]

I do all the work and she gets all the credit as far as when bonus time came around/QUOTE]

Lady, THAT reminds me of a joke I heard today on a local sports station:

What do Christmas and work have in common?

You work your butt off all year, and some fat man in a suit gets all the credit!
              Life, for me, has been an ongoing education. When Graduation Day arrives, my diploma will be my death certificate.

Comment

Originally posted by buckland
                That was *brilliant,* Mr. Factory! :clap: While most anyone who has been in the hotseat a time or two has fallen victim to the dreaded "What is your main weakness?", I've never heard your solution before. I would think that the process of plugging this concept into one's unique set of circumstances would be an effective training excercise for the interview, in and of itself.
                Please call me Glue. I don't like the boys in the factory getting too formal. Helps keep production up.

The really scary thing about that response is that even if you know this kind of response is coming you still lose the negative connotation of the response. I learned this trick after I was laid off from my last job at one of those job change consultant companies (i.e. Drake Beam Morin or Right Management - owned by Manpower.)

Comment

Well, for anyone keeping score at home, I got the position that I interviewed for a couple weeks ago. They were checking my references last week, and apparently everything went well because they sent me an offer yesterday- I talked to the hiring manager today and will start on Feb. 12th...

Thanks again to everyone who helped with the interview tips- they obviously helped.

The best part of all this is that now I have about a week and a half to do whatever I want. Of course, I'm broke so that will limit my choices , but I do not have any obligations or any reason to wake up before 11 AM now.

Livin' the dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff_bronc_fan
                    Well, for anyone keeping score at home, I got the position that I interviewed for a couple weeks ago. They were checking my references last week, and apparently everything went well because they sent me an offer yesterday- I talked to the hiring manager today and will start on Feb. 12th...

Thanks again to everyone who helped with the interview tips- they obviously helped.

The best part of all this is that now I have about a week and a half to do whatever I want. Of course, I'm broke so that will limit my choices , but I do not have any obligations or any reason to wake up before 11 AM now.

Livin' the dream.
                    YES!!!

Congratulations, BBF! I'm happy for you!

I guess it's time to get those Birkenstocks out for your first day, huh?
                    HEAR ME ROAR!
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Livin' the dream.

:thumb: Glad to hear it...I know you are happy and best of luck with
                      your new job...enjoy that little bit of time off that you have. I had about 3
                      weeks off before I started my new job and it was nice.
                      Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Livin' the dream.
                        CONGRATULATIONS Although the interview tips may have helped, you still had to "sell" yourself - and it sounds like you did a great job of that. Enjoy your time off.

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

Working...
                        X