"The Crossing"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Crossing"

"On Dec. 14, 1961, a high-speed passenger train smashed into a school bus carrying 36 children in a small farming community southeast of Greeley, Colorado. Twenty children were killed. Sixteen children and the driver lived. Follow their stories. http://cfapp2.rockymountainnews.com/crossing "

This is a gripping print series centered around the personal fallout from the "worst traffic accident in Colorado history." I wanted to bring this unfolding chapter-by-chapter story to the attention of fellow Colorado residents, along with the rest of the denizens of our online community. The investigative reporting style—repleat with interviews with numerous surviving family members--has Pulitzer Prize written all over it.

While the tragedy happened over 45 years ago, in a way, it doesn't seem that far away in time. It was just 3 years before the invasion of the Beatles, and but one year after the birth of this fledgling new team called the "Denver Broncos." (Well, in that respect, it _does_ seem like a long time ago.) At any rate, I know that you all will find this series most heart rending. It is a tribute to the personal strength of those who have gone on, and how their lives were effected in the aftermath of unimaginable personal tragedy.

--Buck
    Last edited by buckland; 01-28-2007, 04:24 PM. Reason: hyperlink fix
    Life, for me, has been an ongoing education. When Graduation Day arrives, my diploma will be my death certificate.

It's a rip-your-heart-out story. Amazing what pain humans can and do endure. Not unlike MileHigh who just had a thread recently about losing his child years ago to a drunk driver. Thanks for the link, buck.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

Try that link again here
      "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Comment

Originally posted by His Wife
        It's a rip-your-heart-out story. Amazing what pain humans can and do endure. Not unlike MileHigh who just had a thread recently about losing his child years ago to a drunk driver. Thanks for the link, buck.
        Anytime, HW, and sorry to hear of MileHigh's loss.
        Life, for me, has been an ongoing education. When Graduation Day arrives, my diploma will be my death certificate.

Comment

My heart is breaking. I just read and watched all that the site has. I am gonna add this to my favorites and keep up with it. Thanks, Buck.

Comment

Originally posted by His Wife
            Thanks for making that hyperlink "click friendly," HW I tried to “edit” my original post so that you do not have to copy/paste the URL into the browser address field, but I’m obviously lacking the know-how as how to make it “click friendly” (like yours is) in this forum message format. Could you guide me through displaying the hyperlink as “Click here,” “Enter here,” whatever, so that I can make the link clickable without displaying the entire URL? I can do that in a Microsoft interface, but not in this text message format.

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderGirl
              My heart is breaking. I just read and watched all that the site has. I am gonna add this to my favorites and keep up with it. Thanks, Buck.
              Anytime, TG, and I'm hooked on this myself. Such tragic ironies life can toss in one's path!

BTW, I notice that when you enter the URL (or click on HW's link) it takes you to Chapter 5 (of 33). Did you find it confusing to locate Chapter 1 and start at the beginning?

Comment

oh how sad

WOW I would have been 5 years old and **living in Greeley with my Grandparents..
                Seems they never talked about it to me.
                Or if they did I don't remember.

And I also used to be an EMT, this is quite the story, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by buckland
                  Anytime, TG, and I'm hooked on this myself. Such tragic ironies life can toss in one's path!

BTW, I notice that when you enter the URL (or click on HW's link) it takes you to Chapter 5 (of 33). Did you find it confusing to locate Chapter 1 and start at the beginning?
                  No, there are drop down menus for the other chapters.

Comment

While driving through Colorado my dad mentioned something about a bus driving off a cliff-side in the mountains; does anybody recall this happening?

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
                    - Carl Sagan

Comment

Thanks for making that hyperlink "click friendly," HW I tried to “edit” my original post so that you do not have to copy/paste the URL into the browser address field, but I’m obviously lacking the know-how as how to make it “click friendly” (like yours is) in this forum message format. Could you guide me through displaying the hyperlink as “Click here,” “Enter here,” whatever, so that I can make the link clickable without displaying the entire URL? I can do that in a Microsoft interface, but not in this text message format.
                      Not a problem, maybe some day...you'd do the same for me?
                      I've run into that as well from time to time. Yet, I have no tech intelligence to
                      really speak of. Yes, I'm a technoidiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Summerz
                        WOW I would have been 5 years old and **living in Greeley with my Grandparents..
                        Seems they never talked about it to me.
                        Or if they did I don't remember.

And I also used to be an EMT, this is quite the story, thanks.
                        Well, I'm glad you weren't old enough to have been on that bus!

Were you an EMT in Colorado, or....?

Comment

Well, I'm glad you weren't old enough to have been on that bus!

Were you an EMT in Colorado, or....?

I was an EMT here in Vermont for 10 years.
                          Never had to go to an accident like that fortunatly, sometimes we had disaster drills similar though for training.

Comment

I have just spent quite a bit of time on this site...
                            very sad indeed..

was there more than 5 chapters? I thought an earlier post said 33.
                            Am I missing them? I will go back and read more on this later.

really weird to see that school bus and try to imagine all that took
                            place on that cold early morning.
                            Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Originally posted by NameUsedBefore
                              While driving through Colorado my dad mentioned something about a bus driving off a cliff-side in the mountains; does anybody recall this happening?
                              Not specifically. I know that vehicles have gone over the edge of mountains around here over the years but nothing in the way of a bus comes to mind.

There are occasional accidents on Pike's feet. This link has a pretty interesting article on it: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...5/ai_n16538655

An excerpt:

"....A Texas woman died after her brakes failed and she crashed while coming down the Pikes Peak Highway on Thursday night.

....Brake failure is a constant concern for officials who monitor the toll road, which attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors each year who come for the experience of driving to the top of a 14,115- foot mountain.

....Many of them aren't used to mountain driving, and they ride the brakes instead of putting the vehicle into a lower gear that keeps it from gaining too much speed as they descend the steep roadway."

So, when you decide to drive up to the summit of Pike's Peak, check those brakes! Best advice, use a low gear going down, if you have a manual.

Sorry, didn't mean to go :offtopic: on ya!

Comment

Working...
                              X