• Show
Clear All

• buckland
    replied
    Originally posted by KCLadyFan
    thanks, I was just wondering about the driver...didn't it say he was
    charged with manslaughter? I want to read about that.He was so
    young with a wife and infant.

also this is off topic...sort of...but it also said that that one couple was
    able to buy a 200 plus acre farm on $200.00 a month income...that was
    in 1957 and she had an electric range.Wow how times have changed.
    But I took note of that while reading one of the chapters.
    Yeah, that's believable. A lot of folks were still making a buck an hour in the mid fifties, I believe--and the dollar went a lot further, of course. Farmland went for considerably less per acre than city property. Even today, you could purchase, say, 100 rural acres in Colorado for less than your typical home on a quarter acre lot in Denver.

Leave a comment:

• KCLadyFan
    replied
    Originally posted by buckland
    Hi, KC <hug> Yes, hard to imagine, indeed.

Yes, you are correct--33 chapters. They release a new chapter each day, I believe. Don't know if this is every day, including weekends or not... I just LIVE here, huh?
    thanks, I was just wondering about the driver...didn't it say he was
    charged with manslaughter? I want to read about that.He was so
    young with a wife and infant.

also this is off topic...sort of...but it also said that that one couple was
    able to buy a 200 plus acre farm on $200.00 a month income...that was
    in 1957 and she had an electric range.Wow how times have changed.
    But I took note of that while reading one of the chapters.

Leave a comment:

• buckland
    replied
    Originally posted by KCLadyFan
    I have just spent quite a bit of time on this site...
    very sad indeed..

was there more than 5 chapters? I thought an earlier post said 33.
    Am I missing them? I will go back and read more on this later.

really weird to see that school bus and try to imagine all that took
    place on that cold early morning.
    Hi, KC <hug> Yes, hard to imagine, indeed.

Yes, you are correct--33 chapters. They release a new chapter each day, I believe. Don't know if this is every day, including weekends or not... I just LIVE here, huh?

Leave a comment:

• buckland
    replied
    Originally posted by NameUsedBefore
    While driving through Colorado my dad mentioned something about a bus driving off a cliff-side in the mountains; does anybody recall this happening?
    Not specifically. I know that vehicles have gone over the edge of mountains around here over the years but nothing in the way of a bus comes to mind.

There are occasional accidents on Pike's feet. This link has a pretty interesting article on it: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...5/ai_n16538655

An excerpt:

"....A Texas woman died after her brakes failed and she crashed while coming down the Pikes Peak Highway on Thursday night.

....Brake failure is a constant concern for officials who monitor the toll road, which attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors each year who come for the experience of driving to the top of a 14,115- foot mountain.

....Many of them aren't used to mountain driving, and they ride the brakes instead of putting the vehicle into a lower gear that keeps it from gaining too much speed as they descend the steep roadway."

So, when you decide to drive up to the summit of Pike's Peak, check those brakes! Best advice, use a low gear going down, if you have a manual.

Sorry, didn't mean to go :offtopic: on ya!

Leave a comment:

• KCLadyFan
    replied
    I have just spent quite a bit of time on this site...
    very sad indeed..

was there more than 5 chapters? I thought an earlier post said 33.
    Am I missing them? I will go back and read more on this later.

really weird to see that school bus and try to imagine all that took
    place on that cold early morning.

Leave a comment:

• 2 Minute Warning
    replied
    Well, I'm glad you weren't old enough to have been on that bus!

Were you an EMT in Colorado, or....?

I was an EMT here in Vermont for 10 years.
    Never had to go to an accident like that fortunatly, sometimes we had disaster drills similar though for training.

Leave a comment:

• buckland
    replied
    Originally posted by Summerz
    WOW I would have been 5 years old and **living in Greeley with my Grandparents..
    Seems they never talked about it to me.
    Or if they did I don't remember.

And I also used to be an EMT, this is quite the story, thanks.
    Well, I'm glad you weren't old enough to have been on that bus!

Were you an EMT in Colorado, or....?

Leave a comment:

• His Wife
    replied
    Thanks for making that hyperlink "click friendly," HW I tried to “edit” my original post so that you do not have to copy/paste the URL into the browser address field, but I’m obviously lacking the know-how as how to make it “click friendly” (like yours is) in this forum message format. Could you guide me through displaying the hyperlink as “Click here,” “Enter here,” whatever, so that I can make the link clickable without displaying the entire URL? I can do that in a Microsoft interface, but not in this text message format.
    Not a problem, maybe some day...you'd do the same for me?
    I've run into that as well from time to time. Yet, I have no tech intelligence to
    really speak of. Yes, I'm a technoidiot.

Leave a comment:

• NameUsedBefore
    replied
    While driving through Colorado my dad mentioned something about a bus driving off a cliff-side in the mountains; does anybody recall this happening?

Leave a comment:

• ThunderGirl
    replied
    Anytime, TG, and I'm hooked on this myself. Such tragic ironies life can toss in one's path!

BTW, I notice that when you enter the URL (or click on HW's link) it takes you to Chapter 5 (of 33). Did you find it confusing to locate Chapter 1 and start at the beginning?
    No, there are drop down menus for the other chapters.

Leave a comment:

• 2 Minute Warning
    replied
    oh how sad

WOW I would have been 5 years old and **living in Greeley with my Grandparents..
    Seems they never talked about it to me.
    Or if they did I don't remember.

And I also used to be an EMT, this is quite the story, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• buckland
    replied
    Originally posted by ThunderGirl
    My heart is breaking. I just read and watched all that the site has. I am gonna add this to my favorites and keep up with it. Thanks, Buck.
    Anytime, TG, and I'm hooked on this myself. Such tragic ironies life can toss in one's path!

BTW, I notice that when you enter the URL (or click on HW's link) it takes you to Chapter 5 (of 33). Did you find it confusing to locate Chapter 1 and start at the beginning?

Leave a comment:

• buckland
    replied
    Originally posted by His Wife
    Thanks for making that hyperlink "click friendly," HW I tried to “edit” my original post so that you do not have to copy/paste the URL into the browser address field, but I’m obviously lacking the know-how as how to make it “click friendly” (like yours is) in this forum message format. Could you guide me through displaying the hyperlink as “Click here,” “Enter here,” whatever, so that I can make the link clickable without displaying the entire URL? I can do that in a Microsoft interface, but not in this text message format.

Leave a comment:

• ThunderGirl
    replied
    My heart is breaking. I just read and watched all that the site has. I am gonna add this to my favorites and keep up with it. Thanks, Buck.

Leave a comment:

• buckland
    replied
    Originally posted by His Wife
    It's a rip-your-heart-out story. Amazing what pain humans can and do endure. Not unlike MileHigh who just had a thread recently about losing his child years ago to a drunk driver. Thanks for the link, buck.
    Anytime, HW, and sorry to hear of MileHigh's loss.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X