Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easily One Of The Most Dangerous Jobs......Woodpecker!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easily One Of The Most Dangerous Jobs......Woodpecker!!

If there is such a thing as an afterlife back here on earth, and we can come back as anything....please prevent me from coming back as a Woodpecker. The job title goes something like this: Must be able to pound their beak against a hard tree, for long periods of time.

I mean, any takers?

I would at least expect some excellent health benefits, including daily pain killers and brain related support.

Every time I hear one banging away in the woods, my nose hurts, my neck hurts, and yes, I feel like I just got hit by a younger Mike Tyson.

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    If there is such a thing as an afterlife back here on earth, and we can come back as anything....please prevent me from coming back as a Woodpecker. The job title goes something like this: Must be able to pound their beak against a hard tree, for long periods of time.

I mean, any takers?

I would at least expect some excellent health benefits, including daily pain killers and brain related support.

Every time I hear one banging away in the woods, my nose hurts, my neck hurts, and yes, I feel like I just got hit by a younger Mike Tyson.
    I thought a snake has the hardest job / life in the wild. No arms, no legs and cold blooded. And they have to eat their meals in one gulp.
    Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

I thought a snake has the hardest job / life in the wild. No arms, no legs and cold blooded. And they have to eat their meals in one gulp.
      OK....I suppose that's pretty difficult. I'll try to remember that if I ever have a black mamba on my trail.

But man, who has the biggest headache??!!!
      Last edited by CanDB; 04-19-2021, 04:10 PM.

Comment

OK....I suppose that's pretty difficult. I'll try to remember that if I ever have a black mamba on my trail.

But man, who has the biggest headache??!!!
        The anaconda on your trail might be a bigger worry.

I saw a thing on TV a few years back:

Most animals have a pretty good amount of fluid, called cerebrospinal fluid (CBF), surrounding their brain, which allows the brain to somewhat "float" inside the brain case. Woodpeckers have very little space between their spongy brain case and their brain, so there's not much room for fluid. This is good, because without all the fluid the woodpeckers brains won't turn into scrambled eggs during the pecking and pounding.

Woodpeckers have a lot of really interesting adaptations help them keep from bashing their brains in when they peck. Researchers have found that all of these adaptations absorb up to 99.7% of the shock of their pounding! This leaves a meager .3% that goes to the brain and head, which is a good thing if you're a bird that likes to pound bark.
        Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

The anaconda on your trail might be a bigger worry.

I saw a thing on TV a few years back:

Most animals have a pretty good amount of fluid, called cerebrospinal fluid (CBF), surrounding their brain, which allows the brain to somewhat "float" inside the brain case. Woodpeckers have very little space between their spongy brain case and their brain, so there's not much room for fluid. This is good, because without all the fluid the woodpeckers brains won't turn into scrambled eggs during the pecking and pounding.

Woodpeckers have a lot of really interesting adaptations help them keep from bashing their brains in when they peck. Researchers have found that all of these adaptations absorb up to 99.7% of the shock of their pounding! This leaves a meager .3% that goes to the brain and head, which is a good thing if you're a bird that likes to pound bark.
          This has gone from a whacky thread idea to an education!! I never knew this stuff, but I assumed something very unusual was helping protect those "peckers".

Comment

This has gone from a whacky thread idea to an education!! I never knew this stuff, but I assumed something very unusual was helping protect those "peckers".
            Nature never ceases to amaze us and peckers will always need "certain things" to help them perform right Can?
            Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Nature never ceases to amaze us and peckers will always need "certain things" to help them perform right Can?
              Heady creature, those Woodpeckers....

Comment

Ooouuuuccchhh!!!

Pecker was heard to say, "give me a minute....need an advil."

"Also need to get a new profession."

Comment

Ooouuuuccchhh!!!

Pecker was heard to say, "give me a minute....need an advil."

"Also need to get a new profession."
                  Excellent video! Thanks!
                  Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Excellent video! Thanks!
                    No prob....also, must have a tough neck!!!

Comment

OK students....for your next assignment, count the number of times a hummingbird's wings flap in a minute!!!

Comment

OK students....for your next assignment, count the number of times a hummingbird's wings flap in a minute!!!

Most people have no idea. We have 3 species of Hummingbirds in Utah and we have 2 feeders. I looked it up years ago.

My answer is below....written backwards so some people will have to work a little to learn the answer.

.dnoces a semit ytfif ro etunim rep semit dnasuoht eerht yletamixorppA
                        Last edited by jazzbodog; 04-21-2021, 06:36 PM.
                        Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Most people have no idea. We have 3 species of Hummingbirds in Utah and we have 2 feeders. I looked it up years ago.

My answer is below....written backwards so some people will have to work a little to learn the answer.

.dnoces a semit ytfif ro etunim rep semit dnasuoht eerht yletamixorrA
                          Hey jazz.....good info!!! But you have to work on your backward spelling. You know me, the grammar critic. (P-a-t-o-n)

I think you meant yletamixorppA......everyone knows that one!!!

(sometimes I am a jerk)

Comment

Hey jazz.....good info!!! But you have to work on your backward spelling. You know me, the grammar critic. (P-a-t-o-n)

I think you meant yletamixorppA......everyone knows that one!!!

(sometimes I am a jerk)

Holy smokes Can, I can't believe I screwed that up. Thanks for pointing that out. I knew if ever there is a grammar error in any of my posts you would detect them.

By the way, what do you do for a Living? Let me guess.....English Professor, proofreader for a book publisher, high end journalist, novelist?

My favorite Steve Martin movie. Hilarious!
                            Last edited by jazzbodog; 04-21-2021, 06:39 PM.
                            Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Holy smokes Can, I can't believe I screwed that up. Thanks for pointing that out. I knew if ever there is a grammar error in any of my posts you would detect them.

By the way, what do you do for a Living? Let me guess.....English Professor, proofreader for a book publisher, high end journalist, novelist?

My favorite Steve Martin movie. Hilarious!
                              Sorry for having to point that out, but it's not easy doing the backwards thing. You can know what you are doing and then sort of get dizzy in the final analysis.

I have been retired for a number of years, but my career was in management. I am far from being an expert writer, but when I am organized and stick to the rules of grammar/punctuation, I can get by. Through University, and even simple writing courses, you can acquire a process that works most of the time. And when you get exposed to Business Plans, Business Cases, and everyday memos to folks at all levels of the company, you gradually become pretty proficient. But I am failing as a book writer so far. Not motivated enough I suppose. My brother has written a few. They weren't bad.

But alas, I like to wing it too much, and that's when I can lose my focus.

Steve Martin was one my fav funny guys. He was hilarious. Probably still is, but more subdued of course. Those were the days when a lot of us younger folks would watch SNL pretty religiously. I love when he hosts shows like The Academy Awards. The Jerk was fantastic!!

Back then I was a huge fan of his as well as Richard Pryor.
                              Last edited by CanDB; 04-21-2021, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X