9/11 - Twenty Years Later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/11 - Twenty Years Later

Twenty years later..... never to be forgotten.

To all those who were injured or lost forever, and their loved ones, and to all the heroes who did their very best to make something good out of something so tragic......

Hard to believe it's twenty years.

Comment

Very hard to believe. I remember I was in seventh grade - and I didn't even know what the world trade center was at the time.

Someone mentioned a plan hit the tower - and here I'm thinking some single propeller plane flew into a building "big deal" I thought.

That all changed once I got home and saw what was on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
        Very hard to believe. I remember I was in seventh grade - and I didn't even know what the world trade center was at the time.

Someone mentioned a plan hit the tower - and here I'm thinking some single propeller plane flew into a building "big deal" I thought.

That all changed once I got home and saw what was on TV.
        And the many videos/documentaries only bring it all back to home, how devastating that day was. It was unbelievable, but it was actually happening in front of our eyes.

In times of painful 9/11 memories I like to watch "You Are Here: A Come From Away Story"...or as some call it, 9/12, when hope and compassion and love clearly win over hatefulness.

Comment

I tried to avoid the memorials as much as possible. I worked about 4 miles from the Towers, about a 15 minute drive without traffic, and lived about a 45 minute drive from there, but was still able to see the towers from my bedroom window. I used to walk about 5 miles from my job to the Towers just for fun, but I only went inside 4 times, and only once did I ride the elevator to the top, which was ironically almost a year before the first attack in 1992. I saw the Towers every day since the summer of 1993 until the day they fell. To this day, I take some of the same routes to restaurants, bars, friends houses, work, and I still look at that area where the Towers stood and remember that epic vision, which was also a great guide/landmark when finding corner in the hole bar in Greenwich Villlage, before Google Maps.

I went back downtown on Friday, September 14th, to buy some music to try to mentally escape for a bit. In my years of being a New Yorker, I never saw any street so empty and quiet and it brought another layer of what happened. As I was about to cross the street, I saw a man wearing a Jets uniform. We crossed the street together and talked for a bit about the game that was canceled, New York, America, life.

R.I.P. to those who lost their lives.

Comment

I never knew you had personal experience of this Spawn.

Comment

Working...
            X