Attn: College students

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn: College students

I'm on a deadline. If you're a college student that currently attends a school on a semester system, please reply to this thread asap.

Here's what I'm looking for:

The University of Cincinnati recently announced that it's putting together an exploratory committee to investigate the pros and cons of switching from quarters to semesters. There have already been two straight news articles in the school newspaper on the subject, and now the opinion page is taking a crack at it. This is a big deal. I'm writing a column that will appear in the Thursday edition.

I'm looking for a source or two that can shed some light on the subject. I already have one primary source, and I can quote the original articles, but I'd like a second primary source, and I think an outside perspective would be a nice touch. If you're interested in being interviewed for this story, please let me know. Now, if at all possible. If so, I'd like to either have you answer an e-mail questionaire or call you on the phone for an interview. Yes, this means you get to hear the dulcet tones of the inimitable WhoDey, a pleasure that only a very few members of Broncomania have had the opportunity to regret later.

Help me!

HEAR ME ROAR!
    sigpic
    Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

I suppose I could help, but I never attended a quarter program.

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaManMan
      I suppose I could help, but I never attended a quarter program.
      That's totally okay.

I can call or you can PM me your e-mail address. Your call.
      HEAR ME ROAR!
      sigpic

Comment

I'll help if you want.

Sig by Sky.:salute:

All you nooby dooby doos need to stop making stupid threads.:coffee:

Comment

Originally posted by bengaaaaals1688
          I'll help if you want.
          Cool! Same deal - PM me either your e-mail address that I can send the questionaire to or your telephone number that I can reach you at.

Thanks in advance!
          HEAR ME ROAR!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals
            Cool! Same deal - PM me either your e-mail address that I can send the questionaire to or your telephone number that I can reach you at.

Thanks in advance!
            Which would be easier for you??

Comment

Which would be easier for you??
              Whatever's best for you. Just shoot me a PM to tell me which you'd prefer.
              HEAR ME ROAR!
              sigpic

Comment

I haven't gotten to share with any of you what I've been working on this quarter - I was afraid to post my work because everything I've written thus far has been political in nature, and I know how that would be received here. So here's the first piece I can share with you. It's not really relevant to any of your lives, but I still thought some of you might get a kick out of seeing what I've been up to.

And besides, I felt like showing off.

Originally posted by WhoDey the Journalist in training
                Jessie Wright’s hard work at San Diego Mesa College earned her academic currency to use toward a degree and a better career; her decision to transfer from Mesa to the University of Cincinnati was like exchanging euros for pesos. When she transferred from SDMC to Raymond Walters College, only three of the five classes she attempted to bring with her were accepted by the university.

Not all credits earned at one school will be accepted by another upon transfer. Curriculums for similar subjects can differ wildly, and the reputation and accreditation of some schools can be a barrier to the acceptance of transfer credits. But in Wright’s case, there may have been something else at work in the decision to not accept those two classes: the conversion from semesters to quarters.

If both SDMC and UC had been on the semester system, would the university have been more likely to accept Wright’s transfer credits? That’s a question that many members within UC’s administration don’t wish to dwell on any longer. They want to make the hypothetical a reality. They want to switch from quarters to semesters.

Understanding the administration’s desire to lengthen the academic year’s divisions isn’t really a stretch. It’s a better fit for all.

On Monday, The News Record reported that officials within the University of Cincinnati’s administration are mulling a change from quarters to semesters by around 2010 or 2011, in time to update the school’s accreditation. The move is also being considered at several other universities around Ohio.

University officials are selling the idea on the fact that more students could easily transfer to UC from other schools. They’re selling the idea that course material would be spread out over a longer period of time with more gaps between classes. They’re selling the idea that that time could be used to get those out-of-class projects and reading assignments done.

I’m sold.

Never mind the fact that the administration would see more tuition dollars by virtue of the fact that although a price increase as a result of the switch is not foreseen, individual credit hours would cost more, meaning that a student who attends for just one semester will put more money in the university’s coffers than if a student attends for just one quarter. It’s a financial edge for the university, but it benefits students as well.

If you don’t get it, ask an accounting student. They’re all over the place.

For students, a switch to semesters means that we’d spend more time learning about a particular subject. We’d get more nuances. More depth. More expertise. And at the same time, we get more mileage out of the books we pay small fortunes for.

More, more, more. We want more! Give us more!

Want more, but you don’t want to get it here? The change would make getting what you want elsewhere easier. No longer would you be trying to exchange your pesos for euros.

Again, ask your friendly neighborhood accounting student. It’s never too early to start networking.

Semesters are good for everyone. Good for the school, good for the students who are already here, and good for those students who may come here from other colleges and universities.

Still don’t get it? You know who to talk to. The switch to semesters is dollars and sense.
                HEAR ME ROAR!
                sigpic

Comment

That's pretty good WhoDey... where are my answers??

Comment

That's pretty good WhoDey... where are my answers??
                    I used your interview for background.
                    HEAR ME ROAR!
                    sigpic

Comment

I used your interview for background.
                      Oh, I see, my answers weren't good enough to actually make the article huh??

Comment

I couldn't actually put a student from another college in the article, although your opinions of semester-based education were helpful for me as I wrote my article.

The only student that actually made the article was the UC student, because that's my audience.
                        HEAR ME ROAR!
                        sigpic

Comment

Mine werent either!

Comment

I couldn't actually put a student from another college in the article, although your opinions of semester-based education were helpful for me as I wrote my article.

The only student that actually made the article was the UC student, because that's my audience.
                            Lol, I figured something like that. I am just glad to have been able to help.

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaManMan
                              Mine werent either!
                              That's because you have to specify it in your username to be thought of as a man.

Comment

Working...
                              X