The Coyotes Were Loud Tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Coyotes Were Loud Tonight

We live near a great park, by the river. I have mentioned the scenery, the animals, the fresh air, the flowing river, the sunsets and all that comes with the park. For the last couple of nights, when I walk the dog, I am within close range of 3 deer that take this route occasionally. They are in fact visible to those driving by on a busy road, and then they cut back into the park. And though I do not fear them, it is so strange seeing their shadows in the night....not far from my dog and I. And when they run and jump, they are amazingly fast and agile. The best part is having eye to eye contact, within 15-20 feet, and even interacting in the way only an old goof like me would do. Yeah I talk to them. And they have such wonderful faces!

Our condo Facebook often shows pictures of this wildlife as it roams on the property. And lately they have posted an audio of coyotes nearby. Folks have seen them as well. BUT tonight, walking thru the exterior of the park, maybe expecting to see those beautiful deer, I heard the extremely loud and high pitched coyote, and went into full awareness mode. Our dog was so concerned she wanted to go straight back home, and quickly. The sounds were quite eerie. And seemingly too close.

I love the wildlife and the scenery of this park. I can not believe we are so close to it and can regularly take long walks through it, year round. But in all honesty, I prepare myself for whatever comes my way with our dog nearby. I hope I can fend them off with one hand and two feet as I protect an animal that would not have a chance.

Do you think they like jokes??

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    We live near a great park, by the river. I have mentioned the scenery, the animals, the fresh air, the flowing river, the sunsets and all that comes with the park. For the last couple of nights, when I walk the dog, I am within close range of 3 deer that take this route occasionally. They are in fact visible to those driving by on a busy road, and then they cut back into the park. And though I do not fear them, it is so strange seeing their shadows in the night....not far from my dog and I. And when they run and jump, they are amazingly fast and agile. The best part is having eye to eye contact, within 15-20 feet, and even interacting in the way only an old goof like me would do. Yeah I talk to them. And they have such wonderful faces!

Our condo Facebook often shows pictures of this wildlife as it roams on the property. And lately they have posted an audio of coyotes nearby. Folks have seen them as well. BUT tonight, walking thru the exterior of the park, maybe expecting to see those beautiful deer, I heard the extremely loud and high pitched coyote, and went into full awareness mode. Our dog was so concerned she wanted to go straight back home, and quickly. The sounds were quite eerie. And seemingly too close.

I love the wildlife and the scenery of this park. I can not believe we are so close to it and can regularly take long walks through it, year round. But in all honesty, I prepare myself for whatever comes my way with our dog nearby. I hope I can fend them off with one hand and two feet as I protect an animal that would not have a chance.

Do you think they like jokes??
    Coyote can be funny or fearsome. Two years ago one dug under the fence of my property and attacked one of my dogs who died next day as a result. Think the road runners tell a lot of jokes about the coyotes.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Coyote can be funny or fearsome. Two years ago one dug under the fence of my property and attacked one of my dogs who died next day as a result. Think the road runners tell a lot of jokes about the coyotes.
      Sorry about your dog.

They sure are loud, and far closer than you'd expect given it's a pretty busy area. The deer on the other hand, are beautiful and pretty friendly. Not sure if they know what I am saying to them, but hey, that happens with folks trying to translate my posts...

Comment

Sorry about your dog.

They sure are loud, and far closer than you'd expect given it's a pretty busy area. The deer on the other hand, are beautiful and pretty friendly. Not sure if they know what I am saying to them, but hey, that happens with folks trying to translate my posts...
        We have deer and coyotes right here where we live pretty much all the time. Deer sometimes are right in the yard by the house. Big cats are in the neighborhood, but seldom seen. Some folks around here catch sight of them using trail-cams. Plenty of black bear here, too. We like observing the wildlife whose environment we have invaded.

Comment

We have deer and coyotes right here where we live pretty much all the time. Deer sometimes are right in the yard by the house. Big cats are in the neighborhood, but seldom seen. Some folks around here catch sight of them using trail-cams. Plenty of black bear here, too. We like observing the wildlife whose environment we have invaded.
          So you live in a rural area.....I assume? Or are you considered a city resident?

We once lived outside the city on 2 acres (which was very close to the city and had good services), and did see deer of course. Apparently a bear made it to that area once upon a time....then again, folks do drink.

But we are in the city, and yet this park area and river are magnets for animal life and the home of protected landscape. Except for those who can not appreciate the value of paths of course, or want to take another picture within the grass area and the wild flowers. Signs did help, But for a smallish park, it has nice paths and is well maintained, and like I mentioned, deer, dang coyote, and geese flying over, even Blue Heron, Pine Martens (lots of squirrels for them), and many more. And I am especially impressed at the ability to stand face to face with a deer, but 15 feet away.

I hope we can keep the collective appreciation and respect for this park, other than the litter types, and those who do not follow the simple guidelines, to ensure the vegetation gets to grow and flourish, and the wildlife lives in reasonable harmony (with its human neighbours).

Comment

So you live in a rural area.....I assume? Or are you considered a city resident?

We once lived outside the city on 2 acres (which was very close to the city and had good services), and did see deer of course. Apparently a bear made it to that area once upon a time....then again, folks do drink.

But we are in the city, and yet this park area and river are magnets for animal life and the home of protected landscape. Except for those who can not appreciate the value of paths of course, or want to take another picture within the grass area and the wild flowers. Signs did help, But for a smallish park, it has nice paths and is well maintained, and like I mentioned, deer, dang coyote, and geese flying over, even Blue Heron, Pine Martens (lots of squirrels for them), and many more. And I am especially impressed at the ability to stand face to face with a deer, but 15 feet away.

I hope we can keep the collective appreciation and respect for this park, other than the litter types, and those who do not follow the simple guidelines, to ensure the vegetation gets to grow and flourish, and the wildlife lives in reasonable harmony (with its human neighbours).
            We live in the Manzanita Mountains SE of ABQ at c.7500'asl in Bernalillo Cointy. Are about 16 miles driving distance from ABQ city limits at mouth of Tijeras Canyon.

ABQ is at the foot of the Sandia Mountains (north of Tijeras Canyon) a 200 square mile area much of which is the Sandia Mountain Wilderness Area. The Rio Grande flows through ABQ, and the Bosque on either side has wildlife. The Rio Grande Valley is a flyway for migratory birds many of whom go to wetland game refuges North and South of Socorro (c.75 mi. S of ABQ) So, ABQ is similar having wildlife visible from walkways, parks and trails.

Comment

We live in the Manzanita Mountains SE of ABQ at c.7500'asl in Bernalillo Cointy. Are about 16 miles driving distance from ABQ city limits at mouth of Tijeras Canyon.

ABQ is at the foot of the Sandia Mountains (north of Tijeras Canyon) a 200 square mile area much of which is the Sandia Mountain Wilderness Area. The Rio Grande flows through ABQ, and the Bosque on either side has wildlife. The Rio Grande Valley is a flyway for migratory birds many of whom go to wetland game refuges North and South of Socorro (c.75 mi. S of ABQ) So, ABQ is similar having wildlife visible from walkways, parks and trails.
              That sounds so interesting! I am a city boy from the Great White North, but I have an affinity with dry desert environments. Though I might be assuming too much, given how elevation is such a determinant of climate.

You must also see a lot of little lizard type creatures. But I am sure you experience so much more than that, in terms of unique landscape/climate and associated wildlife.

You familiar with The Canadian River?

Comment

That sounds so interesting! I am a city boy from the Great White North, but I have an affinity with dry desert environments. Though I might be assuming too much, given how elevation is such a determinant of climate.

You must also see a lot of little lizard type creatures. But I am sure you experience so much more than that, in terms of unique landscape/climate and associated wildlife.

You familiar with The Canadian River?
                It starts in the Sangre de Cristos across the border in Colorado and flows south into NE NM into and out of
                Conchas Lake, then east into Texas and eventually joins the Arkansas River in Eastern Oklahoma.

Comment

It starts in the Sangre de Cristos across the border in Colorado and flows south into NE NM into and out of
                  Conchas Lake, then east into Texas and eventually joins the Arkansas River in Eastern Oklahoma.
                  Thx for that.

Comment

In our 'new' house, we were able to finally get a place where we have a view of nature rather than houses behind us, that won't get developed any time soon. We are on the further reaches of suburbia for our area, and have a decent amount of forestry that is near and connects to the forest in our back yard.

We've still seen less wildlife than I would expect. I KNOW one of these days I'll see deer back there... I've seen them at other edges of the same 'forest'... but my neighbors have never seen one. I'm keeping my hopes up that one of these days, with the leaves down and better viewing... I'll see it.

We recently got security cameras for front and back, and thought we'd be picking up possums and raccoons in the back, but haven't yet. Thought maybe it wasn't set sensitive enough, but it caught a neighborhood cat the other day (though it often doesn't catch our own cat).

At our 'first' house... (we were renting though), we would often hear the coyotes. It was very cool but also concerning. Was pretty sure we were hearing them from the other side of a large fence with barbed wire, but still.... with a cat that liked to roam a little etc... can be a bit scary. BUT STILL COOL.

I've heard them way off in the distance a few times here.

OH! One time, I was on my way to work from our second house, and I saw what looked like a giant freaking Wolf... but it had to be a Coyote and the size was a trick or maybe a domestic wolf-like dog... but it was awesome. Normally on that road, I'd have been able to stop and try to get a picture, but this time I had someone behind me, so I couldn't.
                    Thanks, Reid!
                    sigpic
                    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                      In our 'new' house, we were able to finally get a place where we have a view of nature rather than houses behind us, that won't get developed any time soon. We are on the further reaches of suburbia for our area, and have a decent amount of forestry that is near and connects to the forest in our back yard.

We've still seen less wildlife than I would expect. I KNOW one of these days I'll see deer back there... I've seen them at other edges of the same 'forest'... but my neighbors have never seen one. I'm keeping my hopes up that one of these days, with the leaves down and better viewing... I'll see it.

We recently got security cameras for front and back, and thought we'd be picking up possums and raccoons in the back, but haven't yet. Thought maybe it wasn't set sensitive enough, but it caught a neighborhood cat the other day (though it often doesn't catch our own cat).

At our 'first' house... (we were renting though), we would often hear the coyotes. It was very cool but also concerning. Was pretty sure we were hearing them from the other side of a large fence with barbed wire, but still.... with a cat that liked to roam a little etc... can be a bit scary. BUT STILL COOL.

I've heard them way off in the distance a few times here.

OH! One time, I was on my way to work from our second house, and I saw what looked like a giant freaking Wolf... but it had to be a Coyote and the size was a trick or maybe a domestic wolf-like dog... but it was awesome. Normally on that road, I'd have been able to stop and try to get a picture, but this time I had someone behind me, so I couldn't.
                      Good stuff LT!

It is amazing how many folks I've talked to that live within cities, that have coyotes and foxes, and deer of course. Mostly it's exciting, but there are elements of concern too. They can damage, and they can be aggressive, though I think deer are fine unless the big bad boys show up!

My buddy is a big time bird watcher, even has a site for it....not my cup of tea, but still interesting. Having said that, we have talked about it and I have noticed more pretty/unique birds here over the last 10 - 20 years. Climates are changing enough that birds and other animals are moving. And some of these birds are just so beautiful! Their colours are so cool! I find I am "looking up" birds every now and again.

Comment

Well, my son had his first 'run in' with a deer about two weeks ago.

Not sure why I put 'run in' in 'quotes' like that, since it's exactly what happened. Car's in the shop. Everyone's ok. So there's always that fun.

I am not a big time bird watcher... but we do love watching the birds we get in our back yard. I try to learn all of the ones that we get back here, and could probably list off a dozen or more pretty easily.

We enjoy feeding them and watching them, but we don't go out of our way to find rare birds or anything.

We love Cardinals. We had to cut down most of a group of trees in our yard that were a bit too big and too close to the house, but left one. The most Cardinals I've been able to count in a single day/viewing was thirteen... as in, I keep an eye out for how many of one gender or the other at any given time I can see to figure out the least number of them may be hanging around/visiting our house. Had at least 7 males and 6 females, if I remember right.

We also have Mockingbirds and Bluejays in the area, though not in the backyard consistently. I love both of these, and would love to make friends with them.

The most surprising ones though I've seen were the Blue Heron and Green Herons we've seen in our very tiny creek. I've heard an owl a few times as well, and seen the occasional bat.

We went through A LOT to get a place where we could enjoy things like this.

If we won the lottery tomorrow, fair chance we wouldn't move any time soon.
                        Thanks, Reid!
                        sigpic
                        Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                          Well, my son had his first 'run in' with a deer about two weeks ago.

Not sure why I put 'run in' in 'quotes' like that, since it's exactly what happened. Car's in the shop. Everyone's ok. So there's always that fun.

I am not a big time bird watcher... but we do love watching the birds we get in our back yard. I try to learn all of the ones that we get back here, and could probably list off a dozen or more pretty easily.

We enjoy feeding them and watching them, but we don't go out of our way to find rare birds or anything.

We love Cardinals. We had to cut down most of a group of trees in our yard that were a bit too big and too close to the house, but left one. The most Cardinals I've been able to count in a single day/viewing was thirteen... as in, I keep an eye out for how many of one gender or the other at any given time I can see to figure out the least number of them may be hanging around/visiting our house. Had at least 7 males and 6 females, if I remember right.

We also have Mockingbirds and Bluejays in the area, though not in the backyard consistently. I love both of these, and would love to make friends with them.

The most surprising ones though I've seen were the Blue Heron and Green Herons we've seen in our very tiny creek. I've heard an owl a few times as well, and seen the occasional bat.

We went through A LOT to get a place where we could enjoy things like this.

If we won the lottery tomorrow, fair chance we wouldn't move any time soon.
                          Oh yes, many a sad tale about deer/car collisions. We have signs in various parts of the city to be aware of deer. These accidents, especially at high speed, are terrible! Saw some at the body shop when I was retired and working part time...major damage and sadly, death/injury.

On a more positive note, love those Bluejays (including the birds!!!). See these guys a lot, in our nearby trees...

Click image for larger version

Name:	A_Proud_Blue_Jay.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	638.7 KB
ID:	8385426

(in fact, this looks just like the picture of bird and tree taken in past).

And yeah, we had a young Blue Herron in the park next door, preparing for its winter vaca.

Comment

I knew this day would come, though not as direct a confrontation as could be.

Started off with the dog wanting to go out early in the morning. She has a sensitive stomach, and every so often it's an early walk. There was new snow on the ground from the previous night, As we walked across the parking lot, I saw fairly fresh deer tracks. They will walk right up to the grass near the lower level condos. But no sighting for me, this time.

So we continue to the roadside, near the park. Business done, now we will drop it off in the park bin. Except, this time it's different. There it is, a grown coyote walking slowly in our direction. We spot each other, less than 20 yards apart. I decide to turn around, and keep tabs on it....knowing that I will have to pick up our dog if the coyote gets close. I see that it is still walking in our general direction, but not right at us. We move quickly, and as we reach the parking lot, I lose sight of it in the trees. My assumption is that it is looking for rabbits or other small creatures.

It was a bit of a rush, because I truly do not know what to expect....there alone with the dog, in the early morning darkness. Luckily there is enough lighting in the first section of the park, but it's not great. I would never walk further into the heart of the park in darkness.

Today I talked to one of the neighbours, and he apparently is an early bird. He saw the coyote from his window, and confirmed it had found a meal. Hmmm. Nature at work.

Can we co-exist peacefully? Maybe. But I'd prefer we try to establish our borders.
                            CanDB
                            Football Immortal
                            Last edited by CanDB; 12-01-2021, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Poor little dog, upset stomach again. 3:45 am wake up. Back to white rice today until she settles down. How is it that a guy with a sensitive stomach has a dog with a sensitive stomach??

Out we go, me checking for that coyote. Rabbits moving about, which is probably why our "friend" walks in this direction overnight/early morn. Dog does its thing and I keep looking around, in order to safely drop "it" off in the park bin nearby. We exit the park, into the outdoor parking lot, and to our right, 15 feet at most, a beautiful deer. Standing still like a beautiful ornament. No movement even with us so close. Then I spot them, a second and a third here and there. The family that often walks by when the folks are sleeping.

They all watch us as we move toward the entrance. They don't move. It's a winter wonderland. Much better a sight than a healthy looking coyote looking for sustenance.

Comment

Working...
                              X