Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching

All,

I'm interested in becoming a coach. I really don't have a preference on what level of coach, although I prefer HS or above. I also don't care what position (water boy coach would be ok). I'd just like to get my foot in the door and need some ideas on how to best begin the process.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

To begin with check with state department of education to find out what the requirements are in your state. If you have met those requirements (some state require that you are a teacher but most only have first aid, care and prevention of athletic injuries, and demonstrate knowledge in the sport). The Dept. of Education most likely have a list of schools with coaching vacancies (some times this requires a fee). Schools won't normally hire a head coach without previous experience. If they do watch out, they are desperate. That is indicative of serious problems with the position.

Another route that I see young coaches take is to inquire if a head coach needs an unpaid assistant. This is difficult to work around most employments. Many of these have found their way into paid positions after a season or two. You have to be serious to do this. The hours are long with uncertainty of any reward- sometimes not even an "atta boy".

Comment

Not sure how you would go about getting a foot in the door as I have no experience in the area...

You will probably need a CPR course, be able to pass a background check...

I coached my son's Pop Warner team last fall...

What an enjoyable experiance that was...I'm going to do it again this fall...

I am a little intense for 7 years olds though...

If I could coach at the High School level, man, that would be something else..
      I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

Comment

Originally posted by dare2bme
        All,

I'm interested in becoming a coach. I really don't have a preference on what level of coach, although I prefer HS or above. I also don't care what position (water boy coach would be ok). I'd just like to get my foot in the door and need some ideas on how to best begin the process.

Start with this;

Go to all your local High School's, even Junior Highs, and tell them you'd be interested in being a volunteer coach. You wouldn't get paid , but it's great experience, and even more importantly, it's a great reference, and stepping stone to get your foot in the door.

If you have no formal education on coaching, or experience, it might be best to suck it up a year or 2 and go the volunteer coach route. Experience >> education any day in the coaching world, and the hardest part is just getting your foot in the door. Teams are ALWAYS looking for volunteer coaches, and I know several coaches myself who started out as volunteer coaches, and worked their way up the ladder. Alot of times if you volunteer at a school, you could be first in line for a vacancy for the next year. Case colved, you're now a legit coach.

I'm a high school volleyball coach that started with no educational experience, I just met the right people that gave me an oppurtunity. and I'm close with all the coaches on the football team. Forget department requirements and education, because that doesn't make you a good coach. Experience does, and finding a way to break into the coaching circle, even via volunteer, is the way to go.

Good luck.
        Last edited by silkamilkamonic; 02-02-2007, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Here is a job posted for a head track coach for high school at one of the school districts in Colorado. I would recommend going onto one of the websites for a school district in your area and if they have coaching openings, and see what the requirements are:

Job Description
          POSITION: Head Track Coach Please send 2 letters of recommendation, copy of coaching certificate and resume including coaching experience. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: *The successful candidate must have a valid Colorado Teaching Certificate or qualify for a letter of Authorization. *Fundamental knowledge of his/her specific sport, work with high school athletes, ability to work as an integral part of the coaching staff and current medical injury treatment course work. *Must pass various pre-employment background screenings *Experience working with diverse cultures and backgrounds desirable RESPONSIBILITIES: *Supervise and instruct athletes as related to his/her specific sport *Demonstrate effective techniques *Present appropriate game rules and etiquette *Maintain a safe environment *Demonstrate a respect for athletes and maintain a program wherein desirable behavior and sportsmanlike attitude are developed *Handle forms and reports in a prompt and efficient manner, physical examinations, eligibility, inventory, end of season reports, rosters and transportation forms *Prepare daily practice schedules, attend coaches meeting and communicate effectively with principal, athletic director, staff, parents and athletes School District 50 is an Equal Opportunity Employer. District policy prohibits discrimination against any applicant on the bases of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, or disability.

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

Also, I wouldn't look much into head coaching jobs. There aren't going to hire you if you don't have any experience, reguardless of you education and background. But what you can do, is apply and go in for an interview if you see a vacancy, and then make sure you tell them you would be interested in an oppurtunity of joining the new coaches staff if you weren't hired. Keep calling back until they have hired someone, and then find out who it is.

Comment

All,

I am in the same situation as you, but I still have some time untill I get started, cause I am only a sophmore. But after I graduate, I am gonna talk to my high school coach and see if I can work for him maybe while I go to college.
              sigpic

Comment

For High School level, I find it imperative to actually have played at least that level.

And I know many colleges and univiersities offer refereeing and coaching classes. I would check those out!
                Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

By the way, I am only 15 years old, and I have already started a playbook, and it already has about 50 plays.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BVP
                    By the way, I am only 15 years old, and I have already started a playbook, and it already has about 50 plays.

Yeah, when I was 15 my playbook had 100 pickup lines that never worked
                    Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by SmithOverTO
                      Yeah, when I was 15 my playbook had 100 pickup lines that never worked
                      I don't know how my plays compare to pick-up lines, but I pretty sure that my plays will work.
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the answers. There are a few good suggestions on here, and I appreciate the input. I think that I will look into getting the requirements for California met and then start looking for a school to volunteer with.

Wish me luck!

Comment

Thanks for the answers. There are a few good suggestions on here, and I appreciate the input. I think that I will look into getting the requirements for California met and then start looking for a school to volunteer with.

Wish me luck!

Good luck dude, and I hope that you have a sucessful career.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X