Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you wanted to learn to do but didn't because?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have you wanted to learn to do but didn't because?

I'm looking for somewhat simple/easy things. NOT learning to be an astronaut, brain surgeon, college professor, olympic gold medalist, train engineer, etc.

Things that would not be too overly challenging to learn. I believe most of you know what I mean.

For many years I wanted to learn how to:

1) Tie a bowtie. Don't know if I would ever wear one, I just never pursued it.
    2) Juggle bowling pins. I assumed used pins would be difficult to find. Bowling alley dumpsters?
    Utah Bronco Freak

Relearning Japanese. Knew it when I was younger, so it seems like it would be easy. It's in my brain somewhere, right? Just need to set aside the time.

Juggling bowling pins sounds painful. Maybe start with plastic ones?
    Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
      Relearning Japanese. Knew it when I was younger, so it seems like it would be easy. It's in my brain somewhere, right? Just need to set aside the time.

Juggling bowling pins sounds painful. Maybe start with plastic ones?
      Any of the Asian languages would seem to be a challenge for most. I saw a Japanese mechanical (1970's non electric) typewriter once and was amazed. Talk about needing a great memory and making a mistake could be overwhelming. Must have been tough not looking at the keys to ensure hitting the correct key. I don't believe liquid paper was invented yet.

As for juggling "real" bowling pins....many bad things could happen very quickly from broken toes to damaged stuff in the house. Outside would help.
      Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

I've always wanted to learn how to play the guitar. Never played the guitar, but growing up and watching John Denver pick away on a lot of his songs has given me interest in learning how to mimic that.

Comment

Ooh... this is a great thread idea.

I'm sure I'm going to come up with more later.... but offhand...

Italian. I wanted to learn a bit of Italian, and the hope was that I would celebrate my College graduation a few years back with a trip to Italy. Didn't happen then, and we can't travel without our pets now, so probably never will... I'm too lazy to learn another language.

Other programming languages - As a programmer, you see all sorts of other things that you think are interesting or would like to learn... but setting aside the time to, especially if you don't have an actual need for them... very different.

Comment

Playing guitar could happen.
            Have some familiarity with Italian, Modern Greek, German and Spanish and more work on one of those might happen.
            Flying is something my Dad and brother did professionally. Grew up on Air Force Bases, so always had fascination with airplanes. But, not happening; too old and flight surgeon probably wouldn't allow it.
            Last edited by samparnell; 02-15-2022, 08:00 AM.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Oh, some things that come to mind....a DJ at a radio station, a mixologist/bartender, would be cool to remember all the drink ingredients by heart, albeit these days the customer might end up with some surprises lol...."what the heck is in this?" The ideas are cool but are they as romantic as it sounds? I'm thinking way too much into this,, yes?

I Follow many of my life long interests such as Art(I have had art published before, great experience), planes(I was too short to be a pilot back in the day), trains,(should have ,RR have great retirement plans) and 18 wheelers(Hate driving in the dark)....so these days follow via youtube, nice to be able to do.

Learn Spanish.

Adios amigo
              Last edited by 2 Minute Warning; 02-15-2022, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                I've always wanted to learn how to play the guitar. Never played the guitar, but growing up and watching John Denver pick away on a lot of his songs has given me interest in learning how to mimic that.
                I was a teenager in the late 1960's and most of my close friends played an instrument. Usually a guitar, drums or keyboards. I was a drummer. Fast forward to the late 1990's and I decided to learn to play acoustic guitar. I purchased a nice, brand new $600.00 Washburn 6 string along with two chord books and a tuning fork. I convinced myself to "learn" the basics and then take some lessons.

Well, I ended up struggling to learn the many various chords, much different than drum sticks . I bagged the lessons because I assumed I would be paying for continuing frustration.

Did I quit / give up too soon? Maybe.
                Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  Playing guitar could happen.
                  Have some familiarity with Italian, Modern Greek, German and Spanish and more work on one of those might happen.
                  Flying is something my Dad and brother did professionally. Grew up on Air Force Bases, so always had fascination with airplanes. But, not happening; too old and flight surgeon probably wouldn't allow it.
                  Cool! I grew up on or near Air Force bases too and in those days, once a year, they had what was called "Armed Forces Day" at the base. For me, I loved it as much as Christmas. In those days they still had many WW II warbirds and I fell in love with the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress as well as the Boeing B-29 Super Fortress. I flew in a B-17G in 2012 and it was a bucket list dream come true.
                  Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                    Ooh... this is a great thread idea.

I'm sure I'm going to come up with more later.... but offhand...

Italian. I wanted to learn a bit of Italian, and the hope was that I would celebrate my College graduation a few years back with a trip to Italy. Didn't happen then, and we can't travel without our pets now, so probably never will... I'm too lazy to learn another language.

Other programming languages - As a programmer, you see all sorts of other things that you think are interesting or would like to learn... but setting aside the time to, especially if you don't have an actual need for them... very different.
                    Never say never Sir. I've never been to Europe but if i do go, Italy will be at the top of the list due to the incredible and astonishing history.
                    Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

Cool! I grew up on or near Air Force bases too and in those days, once a year, they had what was called "Armed Forces Day" at the base. For me, I loved it as much as Christmas. In those days they still had many WW II warbirds and I fell in love with the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress as well as the Boeing B-29 Super Fortress. I flew in a B-17G in 2012 and it was a bucket list dream come true.
                      That's awesome! My Dad took me for a ride in an old T-6 Texan WWII trainer once in about 1959. I remember those Armed Forces Days air shows at the bases. The Commemorative Air Force comes to town occasionally, but since 9-11 Air Force Bases are very difficult to enter, so they don't host public events any more. Did you know that the B-29 program in WWII was more expensive than the Manhattan Project?

Comment

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

Never say never Sir. I've never been to Europe but if i do go, Italy will be at the top of the list due to the incredible and astonishing history.
                        Wait... they have history?

I'm just going for the food!

Going back to the original question... Juggling is something that I've very briefly tried to figure out a few times. Never could really get past the third catch or so. Never had the patience to try to get better.

In the early quarantine days, I started to try to teach myself to 'make a card magically appear'. I got okayish at it. It would be cool to learn that as well as a few other slight of hand type tricks, but I just don't know if my finger joints could handle the speed/dexterity needed at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

Wait... they have history?

I'm just going for the food!

Going back to the original question... Juggling is something that I've very briefly tried to figure out a few times. Never could really get past the third catch or so. Never had the patience to try to get better.

In the early quarantine days, I started to try to teach myself to 'make a card magically appear'. I got okayish at it. It would be cool to learn that as well as a few other slight of hand type tricks, but I just don't know if my finger joints could handle the speed/dexterity needed at this point.
                          Senatus Populusque Romanus

Comment

Senatus Populusque Romanus
                            Fair enough.

That said... on the list of things I never had any interest in learning.... Latin's gotta be up there. Our school gave us the options of Spanish, French, or Latin. Wasn't really super excited about any of them, but Spanish seemed to have at least the most utility. Granted, I know some professions could get more out of Latin, but none of those professions were really my wheelhouse... not to mention a good amount of spanish learning provides a decent Latin base.

Comment

That's awesome! My Dad took me for a ride in an old T-6 Texan WWII trainer once in about 1959. I remember those Armed Forces Days air shows at the bases. The Commemorative Air Force comes to town occasionally, but since 9-11 Air Force Bases are very difficult to enter, so they don't host public events any more. Did you know that the B-29 program in WWII was more expensive than the Manhattan Project?
                              Here in Salt Lake City over the past 20 years or so, a B-17F or G model and or B-24 Liberator comes here in SLC or Heber City, about 40 miles Southwest of here and for the last several years the've had a T-6 Texan and sometimes a P-51D Mustang, B-25 Mitchell and P40 Warhawk. Usually you can take a ride in any of them for big $$$. My B-17G (Liberty Belle) ride was $480.00 for 30 minutes at 1,700 feet max, FAA rule, which makes for a scenic view of the Wasatch mountains especially from the plexiglass nose where the Bombardier sat. I rarely use the word "awesome" but in this case, it truly was AWESOME!

Regarding the B-29 program, I was not aware of funds and costs versus the Atom Bomb program, aka The Manhattan Project. All the way around, these instruments of war, yankee ingenuity ultimately prevailed. Also, the air show held at Hill Air Force base every year about 35 miles North of Salt Lake City is returning this year which was home of the F-16 Fighting Falcon and now the home of the new F-35A Lighting II.
                              Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Working...
                              X