No announcement yet.

To display or not to display?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wookie would you post a picture of the collection on here I'd like to see it. (Please)

Comment

Originally posted by Den21-Bal19
      I guess that makes me a 34 year old who has toys

Not so much Star Wars, but I've got some ST plates on the wall in the living room, some railway locos on display, undefinedand I don't give a monkeys..................

If people want to take the mick, I just set the mutt on them

Exactly!!

Who cares what you put in YOUR room besides YOU! It's YOUR ROOM! You should do it the way you want.

If I want shelves full of little PRY (troll) dolls, so what? If it makes ME happy, that's all that matters. :thumb:

Comment

I voted "Dont display" because honestly Star Wars figurines will someday be priceless and do you really want others to destroy them and neglect them and properly not love them?
        Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

Good point, SOTO, but I would still display them because it is an expression of who you are. :thumb:
          THE TRUTH

Comment

Originally posted by SmithOverTO
            I voted "Dont display" because honestly Star Wars figurines will someday be priceless and do you really want others to destroy them and neglect them and properly not love them?
            I'm an OLD Star Trek collector. Same thing really.

Trust me, once you've taken something out of the package, it really doesnt make any difference anymore. You've already killed it's collector value.

Beckett used to make a Trek/Wars collectibles guide. They might still. Like the card guides, they have two columns of values for everything. But there's a difference here. For most of those items, the lower value is for those items removed from the packaging. While the higher is for the complete toy. Box and all.

Sometimes the difference can be as high as 80%.

Yup, if you really think it's gonne be worth something someday, never take it out of the box.

Just an FYI. Star Wars posters were the big thing back when I was into this stuff. Some of them were worth THOUSANDS!!!

But if you stuck a pin in them to tack them on the wall, they became pretty much worthless. Well, not WORTHLESS, but I saw one that went for up to $2,000 pristine go for 20 bucks because of a few pin holes. And that was sold my Mike Kott, who at the time was THE Star Wars collectibles expert in the entire counrty.

He wrote the guide.

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
              I'm an OLD Star Trek collector. Same thing really.

Trust me, once you've taken something out of the package, it really doesnt make any difference anymore. You've already killed it's collector value.

Beckett used to make a Trek/Wars collectibles guide. They might still. Like the card guides, they have two columns of values for everything. But there's a difference here. For most of those items, the lower value is for those items removed from the packaging. While the higher is for the complete toy. Box and all.

Sometimes the difference can be as high as 80%.

Yup, if you really think it's gonne be worth something someday, never take it out of the box.

Just an FYI. Star Wars posters were the big thing back when I was into this stuff. Some of them were worth THOUSANDS!!!

But if you stuck a pin in them to tack them on the wall, they became pretty much worthless. Well, not WORTHLESS, but I saw one that went for up to $2,000 pristine go for 20 bucks because of a few pin holes. And that was sold my Mike Kott, who at the time was THE Star Wars collectibles expert in the entire counrty.

He wrote the guide.
              I understood that taking them out of the package depletes their value immediately too. Ever since my daughter was young, I have purchased Pez dispensers, barbies, baseball cards, and coins and left them in their packages. Infact, she doesn't even know they are in existence yet, as they are just boxed away to give her one day. Hopefully, they will be either fun or valuable or both! *shrug* Not sure what it will mean, if anything one day.
              "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

Originally posted by His Wife
                I understood that taking them out of the package depletes their value immediately too. Ever since my daughter was young, I have purchased Pez dispensers, barbies, baseball cards, and coins and left them in their packages. Infact, she doesn't even know they are in existence yet, as they are just boxed away to give her one day. Hopefully, they will be either fun or valuable or both! *shrug* Not sure what it will mean, if anything one day.

Baseball cards.

I now collect football cards.

Opening those are in iffy thing. If you collect the cards, well, there's no question, you open them, lol.

It really dpends on what your goal is. Are you in the hobby to make money? or to have the treasures?

If you want the item, you open it, if not, you dont. That simple.

I just opened two cases of high end football cards in the last month. I probably should have saved a few boxes of each, because I know that in a year or two, they would be worth a fortune. So many good rookies this past year. Bush, Cutler, Young, etc.

Just the possibility that there would be a Bush auto rookie in one is enough to make someone pay thru the nose for them.

But I wanted to get it myself, so I opened every pack.

And didnt get it.

Card are a gamble these days.

Comment

See this is where some are mistaken.

Modern day Star Wars figures are not going to be worth much. You might aswell take them out of the package unless you like them in the box.

If I am able to get a older figure or a modern day figure that I know is rare then I keep it in its box.

I honestly don't collect for future profit. Its just something I like doing.

Comment

Thanks for the reply's though.

I have set them up and I may take pictures if I can figure out where my dad put the camera.

Comment

It's part of who you are. If a person can't handle your likes, maybe they're not really worth being friends with.
                      President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
                      I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

Originally posted by TheWookieeBronco
                        See this is where some are mistaken.

Modern day Star Wars figures are not going to be worth much. You might aswell take them out of the package unless you like them in the box.

If I am able to get a older figure or a modern day figure that I know is rare then I keep it in its box.

I honestly don't collect for future profit. Its just something I like doing.

That's what I said in the mid 80's with my Pete Rose cards

Well good luck with your collection. I guess it keeps you off the streets.
                        Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

That's what I said in the mid 80's with my Pete Rose cards

Well good luck with your collection. I guess it keeps you off the streets.

You mean it keeps me out of the scum and villiany of the Mos Eisley Cantina?

Comment

Make fun if you wish, just be prepared for me to hunt you down and tear your arms off.

I am a Star Wars collector. I have a good collection considering my age. I want to display my figures in my room but there is one tiny problem. What do I do when people come over? I am kind of embarassed to show them. Do I just keep them locked away or do I display them.

Please help.
                            You're embarrassed to show them!?!

Display them loud and proud buddy
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skywalker
                              You're embarrassed to show them!?!

Display them loud and proud buddy
                              Thanks.

Most people know its not wise to upset a Wookiee.

Comment

Really?

You mean Skywalker never.....? (Boy am I in for it now).
                                Originally posted by LordTrychon
                                Uh...

Skywalker would've been about 7 at the time, dude.

Wrong.
                                Um...yeah I would have been 7
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X