I need to vent...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to vent...

The other day I saw an international site and it asked me to choose one of two languages; there was a French flag and an American flag. Now, please, tell me the name of the language. I it is ENGLISH. Not American. And it set off a chain reaction in my head which makes me want to vent. First off:

Words such as 'coloUr' and 'honoUr' need a 'u' in them. The word looks wrong without it.

'GrEy' is spelt with an 'e' and not an 'a'

The word 'schedule' is pronounced as if you were talking in German. When it is pronounced 'sked...' it sounds disgusting.

And this one, mainly for the Bush family: there is no such word as 'misunderestimated'.

There are many more examples...I just want to say that the language is ENGLISH. It's our language and we'll lay down the rules. Thank you for your time.
    sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Re: I need to vent...

Originally posted by muse
    The other day I saw an international site and it asked me to choose one of two languages; there was a French flag and an American flag. Now, please, tell me the name of the language. I it is ENGLISH. Not American. And it set off a chain reaction in my head which makes me want to vent. First off:

Words such as 'coloUr' and 'honoUr' need a 'u' in them. The word looks wrong without it.

'GrEy' is spelt with an 'e' and not an 'a'

The word 'schedule' is pronounced as if you were talking in German. When it is pronounced 'sked...' it sounds disgusting.

And this one, mainly for the Bush family: there is no such word as 'misunderestimated'.

There are many more examples...I just want to say that the language is ENGLISH. It's our language and we'll lay down the rules. Thank you for your time.

American English has it's own set of rules, spellings, grammar and such. Even in America the language can be very different depending on what part of the country your from. What used to be wrong or improper turns into norm because of high amounts of usage. This country was founded by immigrants from hundreds of different countries all settling in different areas. It's easy to see how the English language would change a little bit because of that. Also, American English evolves faster than any other language on Earth. American slang can change from day to day. Case in point, the Hip Hop culture. The Hip Hop culture has created enough slang to come up with entirely different language by itself. Because of the large amount of diversity in American English, it is in my opinion, the most creative of ALL languages. It has the most flexibilty. It is easier to covey your emotions when your not limited by so many rules.
    I have my problems with the way English spoken and used as well. In Iowa, when someone wants a coke, they ask for a "pop" but in Texas, the ask for a Soda. I just think that's weird. Also, people in northern Minnesota have a language all their own. I went up there to party one time and I couldn't tell what the hell they were saying half the time!
    Last edited by The Dark Knight; 05-12-2004, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Muse...I understand what you are saying. I hate it when the English language is butchered myself. But, I learned a long time ago, not to sweat the little stuff.

So what if someone says pair of "pants" and another person says pair of "britches". It doesn't matter. When people know what the other person is trying to convey then the art of communicating is still working.

What I don't like, is when someone corrects a person for improper speach. That should be left to the teachers. If someone is telling a story and they pronounce a word incorrectly and someone else interupts the story to correct them...that is just down right rude.

Anyway, don't sweat the small stuff dude!

"Gateway leading to the AFC West"

Comment

Dude you should be thanking your lucky stars and stripes your not speaking Nazi German. Thank US for your freedom.

Nuff said!

Comment

i prefer kiddie script myself

b40nC0z r0x0rz!!! ch3fz sUx0rz lololololololrofl!?!?!?!?!?!!!!
          sigpic
          go broncos
          share the sidewalk
          liberty > safety . . . ron paul '12!

Comment

BTW Muse,

"Misunderestimated" is of course not a word, however, the president created and used the term intentionally in describing the way the liberals view him as a backward country boy who doesn't have the sense to get out of his own way, then he beats them at their own game.

The coined word is a brilliant piece of wry humor that goes right over the heads of the liberals. Mr. Bush is not an idiot, but uses that perception to his advantage again and again and again.

Also, why use a sissy word like "lorrie" to describe a truck? j/k, mate - God save the Queen and all that.

Comment

If the roles were reversed, I would love to see how much the altered English language would get on your ****. I know that it is petty but christ, it is so very annoying. As for inturrupting in a persons sentence and correcting them, I do that all the time and many find it funy if it is a mutual thing. I do not mind being laughed at, they should just know that I will get my own back

Pavement, not sidewalk,
              biscuits, not cookies,
              tomato not toe-mate-oh

westbroncostud I am sorry but I cannot hold myself back, it is written, not wrote

Ahh i feel much better now, thank you and good night.

Comment

Re: Re: I need to vent...

Originally posted by The Dark Knight

I have my problems with the way English spoken and used as well. In Iowa, when someone wants a coke, they ask for a "pop" but in Texas, the ask for a Soda.
                Actually, Benny, in Texas, the word for all sorts of soda pop is "Coke"...

An example in a restaurant:

What would you like to drink?
                A coke.
                What kind?
                Sprite...

*or*..."What kind of cokes y'all got here?"

Comment

I believe the proper term is SODA and a remote is a remote, not a clicker

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

But NJ, what if we just like to click?

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDamsel
                      But NJ, what if we just like to click?
                      Damn it Blue! You must mean, what if we like to remote.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Re: Re: Re: I need to vent...

*or*..."What kind of cokes y'all got here?"

*sigh* /envisions the southern drawl. Gotta love them Southern women!!!

Originally posted by Horsesense
                        Dude you should be thanking your lucky stars and stripes your not speaking Nazi German. Thank US for your freedom.

Nuff said!

Hehe. Sadly... the entire civilized world realisitically should be thanking us, but we're too easy to blame for the planet's problems. Oh... and quit using my sig /tries to create a trademark icon

Nuff said...

Not as lean & Not as mean.. but damn proud to claim the title of (former) U.S. Marine
                        ~DBMAdsf Llaus @T m0 P^~

Comment

Nope, I said what I meant...

LOL nola- you & your southern drawl complex! You really should get some help for that.. I miss my southern drawl, it only comes out when I've been in TX for too long though, so I can't complain. LOL The thing that gets me is me getting accused of having a minnesotan accent, when I've never even been north of Oklahoma (in America--I have been further north overseas), except for a week-long-trip to Iowa when I was 12...

Comment

Nope, I said what I meant...

LOL nola- you & your southern drawl complex! You really should get some help for that..
                            Don't blame me... I was raised in Alaska for 21 yrs. Moved here to Louisiana and am like the kid in the candy store. Never got to "enjoy" the southern women previously... now it's a damn smorgasboard (sp?)

Nuff said...

Not as lean & Not as mean.. but damn proud to claim the title of (former) U.S. Marine
                            ~DBMAdsf Llaus @T m0 P^~

Comment

Is Nazi german any different than German?

Comment

Working...
                              X