Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Town May Snub Out Smoking at Home

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=2949708
    Dozens packed the Belmont city council chambers tonight for the first public airing of a new smoking ban proposal.

The law would give Belmont the toughest smoking ban in the nation — possibly in the world.

The crackdown aims to curb the harmful effects of second-hand smoke by preventing puffs not just in parks and around public buildings — but in private apartments and city streets as well. If the law passes, the only places left in Belmont to smoke would be single family homes and private cars.

Mayor Coralin Feierbach says the proposal was made to protect residents who suffer from health problems aggravated by smoke.The council didn't take action tonight. It's just the first of several meetings to discuss the proposal.
    Im sorry but thats just crazy - I hate cigs but still - this is pushing it, IMHO

Insane. What will they try to take away next?
    Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

City of Arvada, CO already has something similar to this in place. You can get a ticket if you are walking down the street with a cigarette. All businesses in the area have to go 50 ft away from public entrances to smoke. My office has a couple businesses in the area and the smokers have to hide in an alley behind the building to smoke.
      Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

Good, i wsh they implied those rules here in da 602, i hate second hand smoke.....keep killing yourself guys.....
        sigpic

Comment

But how can our govt justify this - I know technically (at least in this case) it will be up to the citizens of that town - but eventually the Fed will jump in on this and how can they justify PUSHING cigs on us then making laws against smoking them

Dont get me wrong - Im not a fan of 2nd hand smoke and smoking cigs in general but to try and make it illegal at this point in time is just stupid - I love how this country promotes items that they have laws against - hmm great way to generate revenue though

Comment

Originally posted by Giveemlove
            City of Arvada, CO already has something similar to this in place. You can get a ticket if you are walking down the street with a cigarette. All businesses in the area have to go 50 ft away from public entrances to smoke. My office has a couple businesses in the area and the smokers have to hide in an alley behind the building to smoke.

I'm glad you said something... I had no idea and am in that area every so often!

Thanks, Reid!
            sigpic
            Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

that is the dumbest law i have ever heard.
              i think they should make a movie about that town and call it lets see

footloose
              yeah thats it just change 1 thing in the flick from dancing to cigs.
              sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Originally posted by orangenblue420
                But how can our govt justify this - I know technically (at least in this case) it will be up to the citizens of that town - but eventually the Fed will jump in on this and how can they justify PUSHING cigs on us then making laws against smoking them

Dont get me wrong - Im not a fan of 2nd hand smoke and smoking cigs in general but to try and make it illegal at this point in time is just stupid - I love how this country promotes items that they have laws against - hmm great way to generate revenue though
                How can the government justify it? Most people freaking hate breathing in this crap. The government is here to serve the people. A small minority of people still smoke, the large majority hates breathing in smoke. Solution? Get rid of smoking on the streets and limit it to areas that people who don't want to breath it in won't have to. This is a fantastic law and I wish it were in effect for the entire United States.

Comment

Originally posted by orangenblue420

I think they can justify it, because those that can't smoke can't avoid smoke that is in public areas. Personally, not only don't I want to breath second hand smoke for long term health reasons, but also my sinuses flair up almost immediately and my nose gets stopped up when I am around smoke.

Now, if I live in an apartment building, and have a chain smoker next door, and minimum, I am going to have to breath it in the hallway every time I pass his/her door. Is that fair to me?

I don't know what the answer is, and I will admit that at first blush it does seem severe to tell someone they can't smoke in their apartment, but from a non-smoker who can't stand walking along and with no warning find myself in a cloud of smoke, I do think that most states have not gone for enough.

50' from entrances is often a joke, as you often wind up walking past the smoking area or smoker on the way from the parking garage/lot to the entrance. The old style smoking/non-smoking sections in restaraunts was a total joke, as usually half the seats in the non-smoking section would get a strong dose of smoke.

So, I don't know if banning it in apartments is fair, but I do know that it is not fair for non-smokers to allow smokers to smoke in public areas.
                  The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Sounds hitlerish to me.

Why don't they just outlaw cigs first, and that takes care of all areas of the country if it's illegal. What a joke!
                    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

Insanity. The rights of individual being taken away from a citizens ability to do things in their private homes? I can't wait till the Supreme court gets a hold of something like this. So long as the smoking of an individual is not exessive and creates such a problem that it violates areas of the clean air act, what a person does in their home (so long as it is not illegal substances) is their right.

I hate cigarettes to, but this IMO is an attack on civil liberties....
                      sigpic
                      The only thing that can stop the ninja.
                      Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

Comment

Originally posted by UnderArmour
                        How can the government justify it? Most people freaking hate breathing in this crap. The government is here to serve the people. A small minority of people still smoke, the large majority hates breathing in smoke. Solution? Get rid of smoking on the streets and limit it to areas that people who don't want to breath it in won't have to. This is a fantastic law and I wish it were in effect for the entire United States.

Just because I dont believe in the law itself doesnt mean I condone smoking or like breathing in 2nd hand smoke BUT the govt which SUPPORTS tobacco and whereas they get a TON of soft money from tobacco companies - I FEEL they are being hypocrites to nth degree -

My concern is for people who are ADDICTED - its not easy for them to quit and its not really their fault theyre addicted - well the older crowd - anyone who is under 25 and smokes - well they should have known better than to start -

Im speaking for the people who have spent 1000's of dollars and many years trying to quit something they were told was safe - something the government still condones to this day

For me personally, I would CHOSE to live in a town like that cause I dont like 2nd hand smoke but what about people who have lived there and paid taxes there for 25+ years and who have smoked for longer - now people coming into their town just recently can vote to alienate these people - its just not right - whether you live in an apt building or rent a single family dwelling - you should be able to do what you want within the walls of your abode REGARDLESS of where your abode is and what it is you are choosing to do inside it - this is AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by BigBroncLove
                          Insanity. The rights of individual being taken away from a citizens ability to do things in their private homes? I can't wait till the Supreme court gets a hold of something like this. So long as the smoking of an individual is not exessive and creates such a problem that it violates areas of the clean air act, what a person does in their home (so long as it is not illegal substances) is their right.

I hate cigarettes to, but this IMO is an attack on civil liberties....
                          A couple things.

First, it says that people would be allowed to smoke in single family homes and cars, just not apartments. So, it is not outlawing smoking in 'private homes'.

Second, isn't the rights of an individual being taken away when s/he is exposed to someone elses second hand smoke when they are trying to go from the stairwell to their apartment and the hall is smokey?

It's a tough situation. I feel for those that smoke. I have seen people try and quit and it isn't easy. I have seen smokers get off a 11 hour flight and just about run to find a smoking area.

However, I also feel for myself and other non-smokers. This country has come a long way. Anyone that spends any time in Europe will realize how far the US has come. More times than not, when I check into a hotel in Germany, the hotel doesn't have smoking and non-smoking rooms. The lobby is usually filled with smoke, etc. Rarely is their non-smoking sections in restaraunts (I think some places like England have passed laws to correct that).

Things chagned gradually here, but thinking back, I guess that is how things were in the US not that long ago.

So, I am not up for crucifying people, but at the same time I don't want to deal with the effects of smelling/breathing other people's smoke.
                          The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator
                            A couple things.

First, it says that people would be allowed to smoke in single family homes and cars, just not apartments. So, it is not outlawing smoking in 'private homes'.

Second, isn't the rights of an individual being taken away when s/he is exposed to someone elses second hand smoke when they are trying to go from the stairwell to their apartment and the hall is smokey?

It's a tough situation. I feel for those that smoke. I have seen people try and quit and it isn't easy. I have seen smokers get off a 11 hour flight and just about run to find a smoking area.

However, I also feel for myself and other non-smokers. This country has come a long way. Anyone that spends any time in Europe will realize how far the US has come. More times than not, when I check into a hotel in Germany, the hotel doesn't have smoking and non-smoking rooms. The lobby is usually filled with smoke, etc. Rarely is their non-smoking sections in restaraunts (I think some places like England have passed laws to correct that).

Things chagned gradually here, but thinking back, I guess that is how things were in the US not that long ago.

So, I am not up for crucifying people, but at the same time I don't want to deal with the effects of smelling/breathing other people's smoke.
                            I agree, that is why I said that so long as an individual does not violate certien areas of the clean air act, meaning that when someone smokes excessively in their apartment, and that smoke moves to another apartment, then that is violation of certien areas of the clean air act......

However to give a ful lfledged ban, and not take these cases on an individual basis is creating a law that punishes everyone for a few peoples crimes, and remains IMO, to be a violation of the laws that protect privacy and freedom of decision in ones own home. Like I said, I am not a smoker, and do not like cigarette smoke, but to make a general law that will effect people who won't violate the laws already in place to protect an individual is attacking civil liberty.
                            Last edited by BigBroncLove; 03-14-2007, 01:36 PM.
                            sigpic
                            The only thing that can stop the ninja.
                            Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

Comment

I feel that though I'm not a fan of smoke as it tends to cause me to cough up blood...that everyone has their rights and if they want to smoke in their home they should be able too...seems to me it is kind of part of their rights!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X